main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I do not want the Emperors prize damaged..."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by PhantomJawa, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhantomJawa

PhantomJawa Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    I find this line kind of odd and out of place knowing what we know now about Vader and what his true intentions were towards Luke on Cloud City.

Why would Vader refer to Luke as 'The Emperors prize', surely he was trying to turn Luke during their first duel for his own gain?

thoughts?

2. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    He wouldn't tell them that would he.

"I don't want my way to kill the Emperor and become the Master damaged"
    "What?"
    "Oh, yes I'm gonna use Skywalker to help me bump off the Emperor, but keep it to urself"

3. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

I find it funny that he said this and then chopped off Luke's hand.

4. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    He was going to take him before the Emperor, just like he did in Jedi. I believe Vader hoped Luke would be the one to take out The Emperor.

5. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    well...the Emperor did want to take Luke as an ally...and that made Luke the Emperor's prize.

Damaged would have been from the Carbonite...

chopping off the hand was something easily repaired.

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Or, you know, Vader really was going to give him to the Emperor.
    Aside from the babbling of a little old frog there's nothing to even hint at anything else being his motive.

He tried to freeze Luke. Didn't work.
    So he tried to get Luke to come willingly. Didn't work.

What in the world makes you think he was being honest with Luke when he proposed the alliance? Why wouldn't Vader just say "Thanks for getting off the ledge. You're now my prisoner."

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Vader didn't want it leaking out, obviously, that he was plotting against the Emperor. So he didn't say it as such in front of his own stormtroopers. Besides, I always thought Vader's original plan was to bring him before the emperor, allow Palpatine to train him, but bond with Luke well enough so that he would be loyal to *him* and eventually help usurp the Emperor.

As for damage regarding the hand? *snort* Vader's body is almost completely cybernetically rebuilt and the emperor keeps him around. I doubt a lost hand is going to make Luke any less appealing. :)

8. MASTER_JEDI_AS_REK

MASTER_JEDI_AS_REK Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    But what if it was Luke's special hand? Ya know "wink wink" A cybernetic hand could really damage his other lightsaber.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "Vader's body is almost completely cybernetically rebuilt and the emperor keeps him around. I doubt a lost hand is going to make Luke any less appealing."

It's because he is/ was the Chosen One. Palpy still wants to replace him with Luke - because Luke is or could be more powerful than Vader (who is less powerful than Anakin could have been). So, too much cybernetics do suck ;)

10. STRIKE

STRIKE Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2004
    "But what if it was Luke's special hand? Ya know "wink wink" A cybernetic hand could really damage his other lightsaber"

LOL! Classic :D

11. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    I look at it as sarcasm. After all, Vader was originally the Emperor's prize (I'll be watching your career with great interest; one day you will be the greatest of all Jedi.) Yet Vader has been so severely damaged he can't live without a life-support suit and cybernetic implants. Everybody knows Vader's toast, and Vader probably knows that Palpy is seeking to replace him with the newer, younger, less dented model. Vader also wants to get Luke to join him, which he is obscuring from the witnesses in the carbonite chamber, and who aren't on any need to know basis.

Its a very ironic line.

12. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    That line is neither sarcastic or ironic. Not in phrasing, delivery or context.

13. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    "He will join us...or die."

It wasn't a "recruit Luke at all costs" mission for Vader.

Freezing didn't work....Trying to talk him into it didn't work....Vader's only other option was to whack Luke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.