main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I HATE Customs!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Darthvaderocks06, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    No, no, no. Not like figures, I mean to get into the US.
    I just got back from Spain, and I bought a whole load of SW stuff, and a knife from the sword factory in Toledo, Spain. Almost all my figures were dammaged. :( And on top of that,someone at customes stole my knife! Customes did not confiscate it, becaues the would have left a note, and my suitcase was torn apart. It was in the suitcase below the plane, so I could not have hurt anybody with it. Other people from our group came back with full size swords!I had 3 knives in there, but they only took the best one. I'm really mad. :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Sorry for your loss.

However, you really should change the title to "I HATE Airport Customs". Otherwise, someone might think you were bashing people who make custom figures here.

3. jango_joe

jango_joe Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You sure it was Customs and not some thieving baggage handler? I hope you complained to the airline about your loss and damages.

5. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    LAJ_FETT is right. although the chances of you recouping your losses are slim to none, you still should register a complaint. the only way things get fixed is if the appropriate action is taken. i worked at an airport as a baggage handler and i can tell you that it's a headache for passengers to mess with filling out forms and going through the trouble, but they do compensate you. in some cases, for up to $500. and most baggage people are good people who don't steal or invade your privacy or do anything like that. when i worked for Southwest, people would sometimes check baggage that was so old it would pop open without anyone doing anything. it's not exactly fun to be chasing a woman's bra that flew out of her luggage down the tarmac. there were even people who used plastic grocery bags as checked luggage. not smart. if it was customs, they are supposed to notify you if they open your stuff. in any case, don't just get mad, register a complaint and you may be surprised by the results. if you have receipts or anything to validate your claims, you just might see justice. at least try. the squeaky wheel gets the grease. or in this case, his SW stuff.

BTW, i also thought you meant custom figures from what the title of the thread said.

6. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I can relate. I just recieved my custom made Obi-wan boots in the mail today. They came from overseas and there was green tape on the box saying that it had been opened and inspected by customs. And apparently when customs opened my box with a knife, they nicked the sole of one of the boots with a knife... the boots looked like they had had them out of the box for a while as well. :(

7. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    Sorry, I can't edit the title now. I did file a complant though. They also took my Interactive Yoda! I took him on the trip for advice.
    There was no note left from customs saying that they checked my bag, someone just ripped it open. They checked my sister's suitcase and left her a note.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Sounds more like a thief to me..

9. DyeJedi

DyeJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2003
    Doesn't just sound like, it was.

On the way to Scotland for new years, 3 PDAs were stolen from our baggage, but the 4th was left. Tell me that's not a theif meeting a crime ring quota. We spoke with our relatives friend, who happens to be an airport security head, and he said there are massive crime circuits for this kind of stuff.

I'm just wondering why the airports don't take action.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    When I first moved to the UK, Heathrow Airport was so notorious for thievery it was nicknamed 'Thiefrow'. I think they have tightened security but robbery still happens.
    Best advice - if it is worth a lot to you take it in the carry-on. (Though that would not have worked with Darth's knife due to the extra security these days).

11. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    Laj_Fett is right. I think it was just somebody working at customs who stole it, not customs themselves.

Do you have any idea how much money can be compensated for my losses? Probably not much.

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Depends, I guess. Did you have receipts to back up the stolen items? If so, you can present photocopies of them as part of your claim to the airline.
    If the airline doesn't come through, did your group have travel insurance? Or could your parents look into claiming the loss on their homeowners insurance? I believe some contents policies allow claims on items stolen in travel (at least here in the UK they do). Normally insurance claims have a deductable, however, and your claim might fall below the level if it doesn't amount to much.

13. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    We did not have insurance, and i do not keep my recipts. I'll do whatever i can to get yoda back. :(

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's rough. I took a look around online.
    (The dreaded) Brian's Toys has him loose for $22.99 and boxed for $27.99.
    Main page.
    Tried to post a direct link but it wouldn't work. Just search on interactive yoda.

There was also about a page worth on Ebay for less than the above prices. Just use the same search criteria.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    $23 is a rip off for the Interactive Yoda, especially loose. That's less than what I paid for a couple of mine when they first came out, but a lot more than the $10 that amazon.com was selling them for a few months after they were released.

16. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    yeah, 10-15 dollars is all you need to find one, really. i got tired of mine and gave it to a couple of friends who in turn gave it to their nephew who got tired of it and beat it with a baseball bat after he couldn't get him to shut off. i'd have given mine to you if i'd known this woulda happenned, though.

17. Darthvaderocks06

Feb 27, 2003
    Thanks guys, but I think my friend can get me one for $10. He owns www.lostreasures.com, but can get me a lot more than what he puts online.(the website is not exactly done yet, but you can check back in a few months)

18. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Dude that is rough.
    WHat you said though about the figures being damaged reminds me of in Fight Club how the guy at the airport calls the bagga handlers the "throwers".
    I've never had any trouble with customs but Australian customs is different I suppose as you have to declare stuff and they just don't go ripping through your bags.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.