main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I just started playing Jedi Outcast...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Crimzon, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimzon

Crimzon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    So Luke didn't know where the Valley of the Jedi was until this game? (timeline wise) I looked at the Games page, but it wasn't loading for some reason so I thought I'd ask here. It is EU related I suppose, not a game mechanics question. Could anyone suggest where I could get a story summary of the previous games involving Kyle (I'm not going to be buying them to play, don't have the time really), and any literature he was in (comics, etc).

Or if you want to tell me just to go look more, I suppose I will. Just wanted to see if anyone had some fav threads or web pages they could point me to. I'd like to avoid spoliers for the rest of JK II: Jedi Outcast, if possible. I *just* got my lightsaber back from Luke.

2. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2001
    well you could try the following books, rebel agent,soldier of the empire & jedi knight... they contain more of Kyle's past... Hope that helps...
    Oh and there's a mention of Kyle in one of the NJO books...

3. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    If you have time, you can sift through the Lit board's 44-page Katarn discussion thread:

JC Katarn Thread

The thread was started by Valiento nearly 2 years ago so there's a lot of discussion there about where the game events fall on the EU timeline and what not.

--
    Edit: Really quickly, I can also run through the stories/guides he's appeared in or referenced in (later today I or maybe Val can put up summaries):

Games
    -Dark Forces
    -Jedi Knight
    -Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
    -Jedi Outcast

Books
    -Soldier of the Empire
    -Rebel Agent
    -Jedi Knight
    -New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I - Remnant (mentioned in Luke's internal monologue)

Comics
    -Jedi vs. Sith (the prophecy at the end of the last issue after the battle of Ruusan about someone freeing the spirits in the Valley of the Jedi refers to Katarn)

Reference Books
    -Essential Chronology
    -New Essential Guide to Characters

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For summaries of their events, click the "Timetales" link at the top of this forum. You'll find summaries for "Soldier for the Empire" located prior to the Battle of Yavin, the "Dark Forces" game a year ot two after Yavin, and "Rebel Agent" & "Jedi Knight" about a year after Endor.

Outcast is located (or at least should be located) around the timeframe of the Crystal Star, around 10 years after Endor/13 or 14 after Yavin. (ignore the dating mentioned in the game's opening scroll, as it was made in error).

5. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    surely, by releasing the spirits from the valley, kyle also removed the pool of force power. but this was fed upon in jedi outcast :confused:

6. Embra

Embra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2001
    It's possible to look at it as the trapped souls having escaped but the Force nexus remaining. As both light and dark side Force users were dragged into the trap of the Force bomb, the energy left is neither positive nor negative. On a far smaller scale, the dark side nexus on Dagobah - the shadow of the death of just one dark Jedi - is a good comparison.

Just a thought.

7. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    There's also the Force Well that was under the former site of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant as another place of comparison. It's not that unreasonable to postulate that thousands of Jedi and Sith spirits trapped in one place for 1000 years would make that area strong in the Force :)

8. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    ahh, but that force thingy on coruscant escaped and left in a rush, such as at the end of JK, it isn't something to feed off as such.

9. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I don't recall it leaving. I thought it was just always there, and the wall was built to keep people out, not keep it in.

¤Night

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Luke knew were the Valley was according to the Jedi Knight novels, IIRC, there was a big conversation between luke and kyle about the planet, as well as according to POTJ sourcebook.

Indeed, the spirits left residue of energy behind when they escaped to the afterlife. While that isn't as strong to the point of turning the person into a god as it originally had been when the spirits were contained in it, it is still powerful enough to strengthen someone who bathes in it. According to POTJ sb the energy well is "overwhelming lightside" because most of the spirits that had been part of it were Jedi rather than sith.

Another such energy well was on Dxun moon in which Darth Bane fed on for several years before he took on an apprentice.

Another thing to note is some of the spirits didn't go into the afterlife and still linger around the valley of the jedi, haunting it for some reason, rather than wanting to let loose of the material world.

11. Crimzon

Crimzon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Great! Thanks for the replies. I'll def check out that thread. Was shifting through it last night, but that whole page wasn't loading well, plus it was late. Hopefully the timeline and the encyclopedia will have good summaries as well. Thanks everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.