main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I know that these are supposedly Star Wars forums, but...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by wadda_u_know, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Maybe somebody could make it mandatory that user's use only existing LOTR threads instead of keep producing more and more. This would be excluding RotK threads offcourse. Or somebody could just make a LOTR Forum. :)*Shrugs*

2. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm so tired of all the LOTR threads, and all the threads being disrupted by LOTR fanboys who insist on talking about how FOTR/TTT is ten times the movie that TPM/AOTC is, how Jackson is the moviemaker Lucas wishes he was.

BTW, I am not referring to people who like both series. I am referring to LOTR fanboys coming over here to gloat and smirk, and bashers talking about how wonderful LOTR is and how the PT can't possibly measure up, how Lucas has destroyed SW with the PT and LOTR is fulfilling all fan expectations, etc. If they think LOTR is so wonderful and so much better than the PT, why not gush about it on TheOneRing.net instead of hanging out on the prequel forums (it is always the prequel forums -- many of them profess to love the OT but seldom, if ever, post on the OT forums) and sidetracking countless threads?

This is a SW message board. It's not a LOTR message board. Moreover, I'd think that this message board would be a haven from the vicious bashing that SW regularly receives in the media, and all these stupid and pointless rivalries that the media cooks up between SW and other movie series. It isn't. It seems like the people in charge encourage the rivalries and encourage the bashing of the prequels.

I might add that this is one of the most popular and heavily trafficked SW sites on the Internet. As such, the media often looks here to gauge the SW fandom, and the way bashers have all but taken over the PT forums (many people who liked the movies seldom post or have left altogether because they found all the bashing so unbearable) gives a very skewed impression -- that most SW fans hate the prequels and think LOTR is sooooooo much better, which isn't the case at all.

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, it is a SW message board. But we also cannot restrict free-thought. So long as the LotR threads relate to the forum it's in, I don't have a lot of problems with it. Put it in perspective and realize this surge is only due to the release of the film. It will level out.

4. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I don't think this surge is a surge at all; it seems to have been going pretty steadily since TPM was released.

I understand not restricting free thought, but I can't help but wonder why bashers of the EU are restricted to one or two threads in the EU forums but bashers of the movies are allowed to spread out all over the movie forums.

5. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I have to agree with Shelley here--this isn't a temporary surge, this is a sustained attack (and I am also not talking about people who like both). I've been back in the discussion boards for reasons I'm not sure of myself lately, and there seems to be an inordinate use of LotR as a blunt instrument against Star Wars. I don't see a reason that this couldn't be contained to a thread or two; as Shelley points out, this strategy is successfully employed regarding those who dislike the SW novels in those forums.

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm not going to restrict "bashers" (a term that I'm not very fond of) to just one or two threads in the AOTC forum. They are free to post in any thread, as long as they stay on topic and explain their reasoning.

7. young_padme

young_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2002
    Lock them. Set up a few offical threads if you must but for the most part I say lock them. If you give LOTR there own board on here then there are going to be other fans demanding that Harry Potter or whatever they love get their own board. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of LOTR, but come on there are different sites for different movies. This happens to be a Star Wars site if you haven't caught on already. :p And if the threads keep rolling in then maybe you could think about putting a link to the LOTR main site.(<--- just a thought) But wadda_u_know is right. Those threads are getting very annoying. :)

8. JangoFettClone

JangoFettClone Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2002
    One forum to rule them all
    One forum to find them
    One forum to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.

9. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I think we just have to accept that there are going to be LOTR slappies who somehow get entertained by putting down SW at any opportunity.

Yes it's sad to go to a messageboard of a particular movie and belittle said movie all the time. Hopefully most of us will be mature enough to stay above all that, let them be and "go about our business." :)

10. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I think we just have to accept that there are going to be LOTR slappies who somehow get entertained by putting down SW at any opportunity.

I accept that they're out there. I'm just not sure why a SW board is supposed to give them bandwidth.

Shrug.

I'm not a discussion board mod, and don't envy them trying to bring balance to the forum.

11. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    6 or less threads in YJCC are not going to hurt anybody. Considering there are over 10,000 topics in that forum, the members do have a choice. These threads will continue on, there is no debate in that respect.

The problem is LOTR fans in non-SW films threads. As stated before by YodaJeff, if they respect opinion and state their own in a calm and respectful manner, then peaceful debate should be encouraged.

People who should not be posting are those who say things like:

SW IS DEAD!1!1 GO LOTR w00t w00t!

GO TO TORN YOU IDIOTS!

And so on and so on.
    Those who do this should be warned and if it persists, banned.

As stated above, liking a movie is no reason for banishment.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I gotta say -- it's pretty quiet on the Literature front. One would think that the EU Lit forum would be rife with LOTR fans saying "how much better their movies were from books than our books were from movies" but there's been nothing that I've seen AT ALL that suggests that.

Is it a movies (and YJCC?) only phenomenon?

13. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    I think it's mostly YJCC. As dp4m says, all's quiet on the Lit front.

JMA

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Jedi_Galadriel...
    "I don't see a reason that this couldn't be contained to a thread or two; as Shelley points out, this strategy is successfully employed regarding those who dislike the SW novels in those forums."

It's a strategy I like to call, "aggressive negotiations." [face_mischief] The one thing to note is that regardless of how many rules you have in place, if the majority of forum-users disagree with it, it's quite simply not going to work. The EU forums have been blessed for the most part with strong, caring users who come to the forums for its intended purpose - to express their SW fandom with respect to the EU with other SW EU fans. EUC originated as primarily an off-shoot of that demographic slanted towards people who wanted to be able to have a more "community" oriented environment. So, I'd say for the most part, neither forum has been in trouble from being overrun, or is in trouble from being overrun, the same way that other forums are.

There's several issues which have helped to minimize the whole LotR effect in the EU forums...

1. Remember, the LotR literature is over half a century old. Much of the people who are causing problems haven't read the books, or much less even are aware of their existence.
    2. The EU forums have pretty much divested themselves of any non-SW-related literature discussion since the Ampitheater opened for business. Topics marginally-related to EULit. will most likely be locked, especially if it's obviously trolling.
    3. Anyone who knows literature also knows there's really no question with respect to "performance" like there is with the movies. The simple fact is that LotR rather soundly trumps Star Wars literature in pretty much any metric one wishes to devise - subjective or objective. There's about as many copies of the Lord of the Rings as there are total expanded universe novels. The Lord of the Rings is a critically-acclaimed work of fiction the world over, whereas franchise fiction (and the Star Wars EU specifically) has been critically panned as being the "professional wrestling" of the speculative fiction industry and can't even get SW fans to agree on its right to exist... although I would encourage anyone to debate the merits of such statements (as long as it's in the proper forum :D ).

So, I do have to agree it is primarily a movie phenomenon.

15. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Remember, the LotR literature is over half a century old. Much of the people who are causing problems haven't read the books, or much less even are aware of their existence.

{JG grabs at her heart and gasps for breath. Not aware of their existence????? Please, please, please tell me that you're kidding or exaggerating. Tell me that they don't think that those Jackson flix created Middle Earth. How can anyone not be aware of LotR? It's like not being aware of Huck Finn or Moby Dick or Oliver Twist or...

Okay. I'll stop now before I start weeping at my desk.}

Back to topic, it definitely seems to be a problem in the movie forums, and it is certainly seen as a problem by everyone except the guys doing it. Limiting it to particular threads would have the benefits of (a) limiting it to particular threads and (b) creating consistency with the EUC policy on novel bashing.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Back to topic, it definitely seems to be a problem in the movie forums, and it is certainly seen as a problem by everyone except the guys doing it. Limiting it to particular threads would have the benefits of (a) limiting it to particular threads and (b) creating consistency with the EUC policy on novel bashing.

Well, it seems as if a) they're going on about the books, the thread would be locked and directed to the Amphitheater or b) the only way to stay on topic in a movie forum would be to compare LOTR to SW -- and that can easily be confined to one thread.

Would that solve the problem or does it go beyond that?

17. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I accept that they're out there. I'm just not sure why a SW board is supposed to give them bandwidth.

I don't either. I know for a fact that on TheOneRing.net, the vice versa would not be tolerated. Anyone who did nothing but trash the LOTR movies and say how much better the prequels are would be swiftly banned and/or hounded off the site.

Yet using LOTR as a bludgeon against SW is allowed, if not encouraged, here.

18. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Lord Bane said;
    -----------------------------------------
    I love locking and banning. Why not PM me?
    -----------------------------------------

Because you don't have any power any more? [face_mischief]

19. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    About the actual matter at hand:

I'm a LOTR fan, but these *are* Star Wars forums and there are LOTR-dedicated forums out there...

20. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I can live with a limited number of threads in the JCC. One thing that does bother me is in the threads about the Star Wars films, threads go off topic to middle earth and it sickens me.

And it seems like a lot of users are putting LOTR material in their sigs, which I really don't like.

Why these 2 series are even compared is just ridiculous. One takes place in space, one takes place in a different type of environment.

Hopefully in 2005, we can enjoy Star Wars Episode III, without LOTR distractions.

21. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    As I said before, I don't think the surge in bashing is a surge. It's been going on for a long time now, and it has driven away many posters. The smirky posts of the LOTR-is-better crowd has only exacerbated it, and it is very frustrating when complaints about people implying, if not saying, that there is something wrong with you if you didn't think LOTR was all that, go ignored.

I don't object to there being a LOTR thread in one or more forums, or of LOTR discussions being held in Fan Force threads or whatever, if people confine their "LOTR is so much better than the PT!" talk to those threads. But it is exceedingly tiresome to see so many discussions be derailed by LOTR fanboys coming in and saying stuff akin to, "The PT sucks! LOTR lived up to all my expectations and more!"

It is disappointing to me that a forum which I hoped would be a haven from all the vicious bashing that SW receives in the media and on general entertainment sites is not a haven, and seems to encourage the enmity between SW and "rival" film series (Matrix, LOTR, etc.).

There are forums out there for people that think LOTR is the greatest series ever and either don't care about SW or dislike it. I don't see why this forum has to be one of them.

22. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    I'm a LOTR fan, but these *are* Star Wars forums and there are LOTR-dedicated forums out there...

Nuff said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.