main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga I want to introduce someone ( I know right?) to star wars.. where do I begin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Rosmolen075, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Rosmolen075

Rosmolen075 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2015
    The title is very clear I guess..

I want to introduce someone in to this epic story but I can't deside where to start.

Story wise I'll start with 1. But that way all the plot twists are spoiled.

What would you people do?

Thanks in advance.

Jo Lucas, Messi and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  2. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Watch from Episode I, that is how story is now meant to be watched.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The two main ways are chronological and production order.
    or 456123.
    How Lucas wanted it to be watched
    or how the story evolved over the years.
    Do what you think is best. There are no wrong answers.

Chancellor Yoda and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  4. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Ehm..... nope. Some twists are spoiled (or rather, revealed at an earlier time) while other twists aren't.
    "I am your father" is spoiled.
    Anakin turning into the Dark Side becames a new twist.

Darth Zannah, -Jedi Joe- and Seagoat like this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Start with the Ewok movies, move on from there to the Holiday Special.

Next, the Jar Jar episodes of TCW.

6. Gravemuzzle

Gravemuzzle Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2015
    I'm of the opinion that the best way for someone to watch it is ANH, TPM, TESB, AOTC, ROTS, ROTJ
    This avoids spoilers and essentially works as a back and forth narrative that first establishes the characters, establishes the pivotal character drama(the reveal of vader followed by the backstory of his fall), and then wraps up the sextology with the redemption and death of Darth Vader.
    However, order of release is also sufficient.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Ask the person what order they want to see it in. There are no wrong answers only preferences.

PiettsHat, -Jedi Joe- and Gravemuzzle like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Everyone should try it both ways at least once.
    Episode 4 was the first SW movie ever, it only seems appropriate to start the SW experience there.

VMeran and Sarge like this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    go to the barn and start throwing straw at them.

CoolyFett likes this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Star Wars, aka "Ep IV", is the one that brings the best introduction and exposition of the universe to a first time viewer. That's where to begin with a newbie. After they see that one, explain how the rest of the movies were made and ask what they want to see next.

VMeran and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's entirely up to preference

2011 versions of I-VI uninterrupted is the only way for me

The "I am your father" thing is practically memetic. Chances are, your friend already knows about it in some way, so it would be rather weak as a plot twist if their reaction was like, "Oh yeah, that's what people mean"

The revelation of Palpatine being Sidious, the clones' true nature, and Anakin's fall all serve as much stronger plot twists in my opinion

12. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I'm torn, personally. The thing I like about chronological is that the PT works best when you have no preconceptions of what Star Wars is "supposed" to be. You get a greater sense of how huge the story is when you watch the films in order, and idea of these movies as multigenerational morality parables is much clearer.

On the other hand, A New Hope is and always will be, in my eyes, the perfect introduction to the Star Wars universe. Everything about that film is tailor made to make you fall in love with the universe George built. Luke (and Han, to a lesser but important extent) is really the perfect audience surrogate to bring you into the awesome wierdness of the GFFA. Between that first shot and the perfect climax... my hope is that people seeing these for the first time would understand why these films made such a huge impact on cinema, and A New Hope is really the biggest example of that.

13. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Many often claim that the "I am your father" moment in ESB is necessary to be kept as a plot twist. I used to believe in that, but I'm not so sure I do anymore. I hearken it back to the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films. In the first Spider-Man, we know right from the start that Norman Osborne is the Green Goblin. However, it was still a shock when Peter found out at the end, because we were connecting with Peter and experiencing it from his point-of-view. On the same token, sticking with Spider-Man, it is known to the audience that Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Even in our knowledge, it is still shocking when both Harry and MJ find out the truth, the truth that we as the audience knew all along, that Peter is the star hero.

I liken this to Star Wars. Even though a new viewer, watching the films in chronological order, knows that Anakin is Vader, they will feel the reveal from Luke's point-of-view. When young Skywalker finds out the man who caused so much terror throughout the galaxy is the same man he dreamed about and wanted to become, the audience can empathize with him in his shock and disbelief. The line will still be shocking to them, in a way different than it was to many of us, myself included, but I believe it would still be shocking. I'd like to know what those who did experience that saga in chronological order thinks about that, and either confirm or contest whether the comparison is just.

I personally have no opinion on the matter. Either order is great, I'd even include the "flashback order" (ANH ESB TPM AotC RotS RotJ) as a viable option. However, whenever I want to watch the entire saga, either personally or with my SW fan friends, I always go in chronological order.

14. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    ANH, ESB, TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ROTJ

sharkymcshark likes this.
  15. Rosmolen075

Rosmolen075 Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2015
    Thanks everybody! I'm going to think about this.. never thought about the flashback order.. but that one sounds great to watch sometime.

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Whichever you choose, I'd advice against jumping back and forth between trilogies during this person's first viewing. The trilogies are intended to be watched as trilogies and they work best that way.

My personal preference: I-VI! The story of Anakin is the main reason for that. Also, ROTS is a huge shocker.

17. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    These films are called Episodes I, II, III, IV, V and VI. I think it's clear.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    A friend of mine who had never watched the movies before picked them up on blu-ray and asked me which order to watch them in....after thinking about it I recommended watching them the way everyone before 1999 had to; in release order. He ended up really enjoying them and thought watching them in that order added to the experience as he was able to pick up on some of the jokes in the PT that he otherwise would not have understood.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That's nice!
    I-VI is the chronological order, though ;)
    I know you mean chronological release order, of course, but I'm used to people referring to the story when they say "chronological".

cubman987 likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Torture the person first with Episode I and II

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

"It'll be a very different experience, because when Darth Vader walks into that spaceship with the princess, they're going to think, 'Oh my God, that's Anakin!' and they're gonna see Luke and think, 'Oh my God, that's his son!' And rather than a surprise when he says, 'I am your father,' it'll be like, 'Oh my God, finally he's told him!'"

--George Lucas, The Guardian Interview, 2002.

"If you see them in order it completely twists things about. A lot of the tricks of IV, V and VI no longer exist. The real struggle of the twins to save their father becomes apparent, whereas it didn't exist at all the first time [audiences saw Episodes IV, V and VI]. Now Darth Vader is a tragic character who's lost everything. He's basically a bitter old man in a suit.

"I am your father" was a real shock. Now it's a real reward. Finally, the son knows what we already know.

Its a really different suspense structure. Part of the fun for me was completely flipping upside down the dramatic track of the original movies. If you watch them the way it was released, IV, V, VI, I, II, III - you get one kind of movie. If you watch I through VI you get a completely different movie. One or two generations have seen it one way, and the next generations will see it in a completely different way.

It's an extremely modern, almost interactive movie making. You take blocks and move them around, and you come out with different emotional states."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith.

22. Gravemuzzle

Gravemuzzle Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2015
    My only big issue with the chronological order is that Star Wars episode 1 and 2 are super boring. They're not bad science fiction films for their time per se, they're just poor Star Wars films and they spend way too much time with ill-concieved political plotlines and the vapid love story. I think the prequel films become much more enjoyable once the world they take place in has been established, which is best accomplished by A New Hope. No matter how poorly it was pulled off, the Prequel trilogy is still an interesting watch for people who are curious about Obi-Wan and Vader's backstories. But chronological order viewing is kinda like forcing your friend to watch the first season of Star Trek The Next Generation rather than showing them a really good episode of TNG or DS9 and then letting them get into it from there.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    .I never found TPM or AOTC boring. Not sure what you watched

Another order I've heard to be strangely effective is the corresponding order: I, IV, II, V, III, VI

I can imagine it paying off in a unique way, but I still recommend I-VI overall. I definitely think the plot twist of Anakin's fall is much stronger. It's not something that just instantly hits you in the face like the father plot twist - rather, it's something you fear happening, and once you do see it happening, you deny it, you hope it can be reversed, but you can't. It seems much more powerful in comparison to me, at least

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would show them the original theatrical releases of the OT. Then show them the SE. Then hit them with the PT.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'd explain to your friend how SW was released theatrically and then ask them where they'd like to start.

Then start with ANH. Jokes...

Lulu_Mars likes this.