main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends If It All Fell To Pieces (Post-SACRIFICE, Whole Cast) Chapter One: Desperado Updated 10-24-07

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The_Burberry_Ewok, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Burberry_Ewok

The_Burberry_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Title: If It All Fell to Pieces

Author: The_Burberry_Ewok
    Timeframe: Legacy Era (WARNING- spoilers for SACRIFICE)
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Jaina Solo, Jacen Solo, Jagged Fel, Han and Leia Solo, etc.
    Genre: Drama, Action, Romance
    Summary: What happens when it all falls to pieces- a government, a galaxy, a family? How do you rebuild? And how can you rebuild a galaxy when the deepest betrayal is within your own family?
    Disclaimer: All names, places, situations, etc. recognizable belong to others. I am merely playing with the masterpieces of others. Any lyrics are used without permission of the Eagles, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, etc.
    Authors Notes: This is my idea of what should happen post SACRIFICE, so there will obviously be spoilers. If you have not read the book, proceed with extreme caution.

Each chapter of this story will take its title and inspiration from the lyrics of an Eagles song. I?ll include the lyrics for each chapter at the end of the post.

----------
    Prologue

Hole In The World

----------

Numb.

He wanted to feel numb again. It was easier.

The pain was so ragged, so raw that he could hardly breathe.

She had been a part of him in every way. Then she was gone. Now there was a hole in his world, and it could never be filled.

Luke took a deep breath, fighting past the tightness in his chest. He slowly exhaled, and the quiet sound echoed in the dark room. In the days since his battle with Lumiya, since the torturous journey back to Coruscant, he had hardly left. Just off the main Council chamber, it was his much-begroaned, de facto office. Mara laughing dubbed it the ?Inner Sanctum.? And while every inch was space was inundated with memories of her- a holo displayed here, a houldout blaster holster discarded there- it was easier than going home.

It was also the first time he?d been alone since his return. Jaina and Ben turned into his shadows, trailing him everywhere. It was all they could do; neither knew what to say. As long as they focused on holding Luke together, they wouldn?t have to fall apart. At the moment, they were on their way to the Temple?s landing pad. Han and Leia were on approach. The plan was to sneak them into the Temple before the Guard was alerted to their presence on the planet. Before she left, Jaina told him to get some sleep. It didn?t matter if he did. The hole would still be there tomorrow.

Luke stood and stretched. He had been sitting for far too long. There had to be something he could do?anything. He tried to meditate, to seek guidance, but everything was under a cloud of fear and sorrow. Bitter frustration gnawed at him. Of their own accord, his fists clenched. Frustration morphed into anger. Sith. I will destroy? Immediately, he clamped down on his feelings, waiting for the exasperated ?Farmboy? in the back of his mind?

That would never come again.

He fell back into his chair and buried his head in his hands. It took all his strength to will the tears not to return.

----------

The military corridor was buzzing with activity. Officers scurried around, carrying datapads of utmost importance and greatest secrecy. Most were so absorbed in their own little battles that they scarcely noticed the two men in dark robes. Within breaking stride, they moved unerringly toward the office of Admiral- and now acting co-Chief of State- Cha Niathal.

When they reached the outer office, the young Lieutenant didn?t even spare them a glance. ?I?m sorry; you?ll have to return later. The Admiral is terribly busy now and running behind schedule as it is. Please give our office a call and we can schedule an appointment some time in the future.?

?I think the Admiral will want to see us now,? the taller of the two men said.

?As I said, she?s already-? the lieutenant finally looked up from his datapad. ?Masters,? he yelped. ?I?m so sorry, I didn?t recognize you. Just a moment please.? With an apologetic smile, he turned away to inform his commanding officer of he

2. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Hey!! First reply...

I must say, this is pure brillance. =D= =D= =D=

I loved the entire thing and if doing a line by line review was my thing, I'd have to comment on every single line.

This was powerful and emotional and I actually teared up. Luke's grief was so potentant that I just wanted to hug him. :_|

It was so nice to see Kyp and Corran work together in their own grief to get the amnesty for the Solos. It has been said somewhere that the Jedi Council are like family. They have grown together and lived and fought and died together for thirty years. Of course, they would grieve Mara's death as much as the family.

Oh the scene with Jaina and her parents. Poor Leia. Poor Ben. I really hope his family can heal the hole in his heart that, not only Jacen's betrayal and his mother's death put there, but also that Jacen's screwed up training had put there. :_|

I really like where this is going...

BTW, the Eagles is one of my favorite bands of all time... I love their music and this is an awesomely creative way of writing a songfic. =D=

And that song fit the situation so well... and I loved the way you were able to work in the lyrics so well that I did't even recognize it until I read the lyrics... =D=

FL @};-

3. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    So glad to see that you've started this new story. I think it perfectly glides into place where Sacrifice sadly left off. Well done and I look forward to reading more.

4. JainaRox

JainaRox Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2006
    I want to cry for Jaina!!!!!! Mara come back!!!!
    Great story.
    JR

5. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    Very beautiful. Very smooth too. I like it. Please write more.

6. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Brilliant piece. I love the lines about love being a state of mind.
    Great job can't wait to read more!

7. LVB

LVB Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2005
    That was brilliant, especially seeing as it was a prologue. I can't wait for you to get stuck into the actual story. I could feel the sadness radiating through the characters: Jaina being torn between her own grief and supporting her family.

Fabulous and if there's a PM list going, I'd love to be on it! :D

8. izzard

izzard Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2006
    Very well done and a very natural post-Sacrifice progression. Good to see the Solos return as well. Please add me if you have a PM list.

Thanks for sharing.

9. dollfin220

dollfin220 Jedi Knight

Jun 26, 2007
    Wow.

Very moving. I can't wait to see where you go with this. It was written beautifully.

If you have a PM list, please add me.

Thanks,

Cara

10. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Quite an intriguing look at what might happen post-Sacrifice. Interesting how Corran et. al didn't go to Jacen to see if he would give permission? probably assuming he'd say no, eh?

If you're continuing this, I'd like a PM. :)

KT

11. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Flowerlady: Thanks!

I must say, this is pure brillance.

[face_blush] [face_blush]

It was so nice to see Kyp and Corran work together in their own grief to get the amnesty for the Solos. It has been said somewhere that the Jedi Council are like family. They have grown together and lived and fought and died together for thirty years. Of course, they would grieve Mara's death as much as the family.

I think that's very true, about the Council being like a family. Sacrifice added some interesting development between Kyp and Mara that really showed that. Now that Mara is dead, they would definitely grieve, and I can't see them just sitting around doing nothing.

Poor Ben. I really hope his family can heal the hole in his heart that, not only Jacen's betrayal and his mother's death put there, but also that Jacen's screwed up training had put there.

Ben is going to need a lot of help after he finds out that his former hero killed his mother. More Skywalker family dynamics.:rolleyes:

BTW, the Eagles is one of my favorite bands of all time... I love their music and this is an awesomely creative way of writing a songfic

I LOVE the Eagles. I had their greatest hits album on my ipod, and got listening to the words while rereading Exile and...this fic was born! I didn't want to do a straight up songfic, so this is a little bit experimental.

BigFatty: Thanks!

So glad to see that you've started this new story.

Thanks! Sorry it took me so long to get it up.

Well done and I look forward to reading more.

My plan is to post one new chapter (song?) every week- sooner if I can swing it.

JainaRox: Thanks!

I want to cry for Jaina!!!!!!

At the risk of losing my writing credentials, I have to admit that I wrote Jaina's response like my own response. I tend to push it away and deal with the details, trying to stay in control. And I don't even WANT to know what a shrink would say about that...8-}

IAMOBIWAN1970: Thanks!

Very beautiful. Very smooth too.

[face_blush] :D

StarWriter24: Thanks!

I love the lines about love being a state of mind.

As much as I would like to claim credit for those, it belongs to Don Henley and Glenn Frey, who are some of my altime favorite songwriters (up there with Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, and Jackson Browne).

LVB: Thanks!

That was brilliant, especially seeing as it was a prologue

Thanks. I wanted to set up where the characters were emotionally before setting the story into motion.

I could feel the sadness radiating through the characters: Jaina being torn between her own grief and supporting her family

I hope the profic doesn't try to gloss over their grief in the next books. In some ways, I feel like Mara's death hits harder than Anakin's. He died in a war that most were pretty sure that they wouldn't survive, on a suicide mission, saving those he loved (in other words, the hero's death). Mara, on the other hand, was sudden, unexpected, and in unknown circumstances.

Fabulous and if there's a PM list going, I'd love to be on it!

Consider yourself added!

Izzard: Thanks!

Very well done and a very natural post-Sacrifice progression. Good to see the Solos return as well.

What is Star Wars without the Solo's?

Please add me if you have a PM list.

Consider yourself added as well!

Dollfin220: Thanks!

Very moving. I can't wait to see where you go with this. It was written beautifully.

Thanks. I'm always sort of nervous trying to write emotional scenes, for fear that what seems highly evocative to me doesn't seem to resonate with everyone else. It makes me feel good to know that it is coming through.

If you have a PM list, please add me.

And you're on the list as well!

Killik_Twilight: Thanks!

Interesting how Corran et. al didn't go to Jacen to see if he would give permission? probably assu

12. saber_death

saber_death Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    nice start, looks like this is gonna be a good fic. i can't wait to see Jacen's reaction to Niathal's granting of amnesty, as well as the most awkward funeral in GFFA history. and i love how Corran and Kyp worked together. as much as they may argue on the Council, Kyp was very right in Exile that the Jedi should always present an united front to the public and government.

13. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Saber_Death: Thanks!

i can't wait to see Jacen's reaction to Niathal's granting of amnesty, as well as the most awkward funeral in GFFA history.

That will be one sad and awkward funeral. The guest list will probably look more like a galactic political summit (think about it: there'll be Jedi, GA, Corellians, Hapans, maybe the odd Imperial, and one secret Sith)!

i love how Corran and Kyp worked together. as much as they may argue on the Council, Kyp was very right in Exile that the Jedi should always present an united front to the public and government.

Thanks, I thought it was a fun idea. Something about the idea of those two teaming up makes me smile. And I agree with you about Kyp being right regarding the Jedi. Things are so fractured and unstable, that the Jedi need to look together and united.

----------

Next post will be up in a day or two!

BBE

14. Lyne

Lyne Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2006
    I don't trust Niathal with this amnesty. I wouldn't put it past Jacen to arrest Han and Leia at the funeral regardless.

I feel for Ben and Jaina in this chapter. Hopefully, in canon we'll get to see them working on the same side together.

Can't wait for the next chapter.

15. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I haven't really been following the LOTF series until now with all that happened in Sacrifice, but I must say that this has me highly intrigued. It's right in line with how I think the family would (will, I suppose) come together afterwards- awkward and fumbling because of events prior that have separated them so drastically, but with all the love they have for each other still there. When you get right down to it, they're family. They are all each other has.

Interesting how one approaches the notion of Jacen from such a perspective, now that I think about it. [face_thinking]

Definitely looking forward to more! :D

16. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    I'm currently out of the country, and where I thought I would have internet access, I don't. So, the next update will be sometime after July 13, when I get access again. Thanks for being patient!

-BBE

17. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Please put me on the PM list for this, if there is one. This was extreemly well written, and the emotion was tremendous. I had huge tears in my eyes the whole time I was reading this. I WANT MORE! :D Please update? Pretty please?

18. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Han watched him knowingly. ?They say that anger is just love disappointed.? His voice hoarsened. ?Trust me. I know.?
    That's interesting.Is that from somewhere?

19. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Well, my tail is firmly tucked between my legs. I feel so bad that I haven't updated this in forever.

But, in my own defense, I think I have a pretty good excuse. I've been overseas this summer, studying abroad. Between the fact that my professors actually expected me to study and the fact that I didn't always have computer access, updates were few and far between.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, though. I start back to school next week and should have new installments to go along with it.

On a semi-related note, would anyone be interested in being my fanfic accountability partner, i.e. prod me into actually posting when I say I am going to? PM me.

Anyway, thanks for being so patient.

-BBE

P.S. This is a blanket THANK YOU for everyone who voted for me during the awards this summer. I'm thrilled and humbled that "As Time Goes By" won Best Crossover. So again, Thanks!

20. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Okay, before the ritual stoning starts, let me say that there is a very important, urgent excuse for why I haven't updated- one that involves national defense and possibly the Apocolypse. As soon as I make it up, I'll share it with you.

Honestly, I've just been incredibly busy. It's a reason, not a good reason, but a reason. I promise that the next updates won't take nearly as long and I thank you for sticking with me even through this long hiatus!

Again, so incredibly sorry!
    -BBE

P.S. Just an additional note...I've been so busy that I haven't had time to read Inferno yet (that should give you an idea of how crazy my life has been!). Any similarities are entirely accidental. I'm taking this as AU from after Sacrifice.

----------

Chapter One
    Desperado

----------

It was only appropriate that it was raining. In fact, it had been raining for days, drizzling on and off. Jacen pulled the hood of his Jedi robes closer around his face. The robes felt foreign; he hadn?t touched them in weeks. He didn?t consider himself a Jedi anymore- hadn?t for a long time, if he was honest with himself. Wearing them now gave him a secret thrill- a Sith walking into a group of Jedi masters, dressed like one of them.

He looked around, half out of wariness and half out of curiosity. There wasn?t a large crowd gathered, but the names of those present were recognized all over the galaxy. Standing apart from the group, he scanned their faces. There were a few politicians there, not out of any sympathy for Luke or affection for Mara, but to see and be seen. Jacen could sympathize. One of the senators met Jacen?s eyes and started to move towards him. Not wanting to speak with him, Jacen deliberately turned away, curious to see who else was present.

Talon Karrde?s normal composure was nowhere to be found. The smuggler chief looked tired and old. One of his arms was wrapped around Shada Dukal?s shoulders, both for emotional and physical support. Ghent stood next to them. Even after his years with New Republic Intelligence, he never lost that look of perpetual bewilderment. For the first time since Jacen had known him, it looked appropriate.

There was a small collection of military and intelligence officers standing across the courtyard. He knew all of them. Most had served with Luke and Mara during the various wars in one way or another. A some even served in the Rebellion with Luke. There were a few noticeable absences.

Jacen kept his eyes on everyone but those standing beside him. It was irrational, but he couldn?t look his sister or parents in the eye. It hadn?t been a surprise to see his parents at the funeral; he had received the memo about their temporary permission to be on the planet. It was one of the few instances of genuine communication in the fledgling Alliance government. Coups don?t tend to promote cooperation and transparency, Jacen thought wryly. There was even greater reason to avoid his sister. No matter how tightly he clamped down on his connection with those around him, Jacen could never entirely sever the link with his twin. If she didn?t actively suspect, she certainly didn?t trust him, and he had learned the hard way about Jaina?s harder edges.

Motion to his left captured Jacen?s attention. The crowd parted, and Luke stepped forward, carrying the shrouded body. Behind him followed Ben, his Jedi robes seeming to pull his already hunched frame even farther down. Gently, Luke placed Mara?s shrouded body on the prepared pyre. He placed one hand over Mara?s heart and quietly whispered goodbye.

As he stepped away, he stumbled. As Luke tried to catch himself, Jacen got his first good look at his uncle?s face. It was hardly recognizable- haggard and lined, the dark circles under his eyes reflected in dark, despairing eyes. Their eyes met and held for a long moment.

Colonel Jacen Solo of the Galactic Alliance Guard was torn.

The small part of Jacen Solo that remained wanted to run comfort him. That part of him was still Jasa, excited over visits from his

21. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    Oh, I'm so glad to see this back!!!!![face_dancing]

I loved how you incorporated the song with dialogue...

Jaina as the queen of diamonds and Tenel Ka as the queen of hearts is wonderful imagery.

Jacen really is a Desperado. [face_frustrated]

Wonderfully written...=D=

I can't wait to read the next one. Soon please!!! [:D]

edit: Somehow I'm first again...I'm really not stocking you...[face_whistling] O:)

FL @};-

22. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    This is so good.
    I haven't read the Legacy books but if Mara's funeral is described the way you described it, I might even shed a tear or two. :_|

It was a moment of pride. He, Darth Caedus of the Sith, had managed to do something that no one- not Darth Vader, not the Emperor, not the Yuuzhan Vong hordes- had ever managed, no matter how hard they tried.

He broke Luke Skywalker.

This was my favorite part. He broke Luke Skywalker . Seriously made a shiver run down my spine. :)

Looking foward to reading more!

23. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Darth Caedus is creepy.

Jacen Solo is? alone.

KT

24. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    if only TK killed him during the embrace instead.

25. The_Burberry_Ewok

Oct 16, 2006
    Flowerlady: Thanks!

Oh, I'm so glad to see this back!!!!!

Me too. And it's my fault that it took so long. My hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I loved how you incorporated the song with dialogue...
    Jaina as the queen of diamonds and Tenel Ka as the queen of hearts is wonderful imagery.

Don Henley and Glenn Frey are great songwriters. Good lyrics make it easy to put into a fic. Besides, how else am I going to use the wealth of random song lyrics that I carry around in my head?:p

I can't wait to read the next one. Soon please!!!

Ask and ye shall receive! O:)

Ceillean: Thanks!

This is so good.

I haven't read the Legacy books but if Mara's funeral is described the way you described it, I might even shed a tear or two.

That makes two of us who haven't read it...we'll have to see! Somehow, though, I don't think they'll go for the emotional approach...

Seriously made a shiver run down my spine.

That was kind of my inspiration for the whole Jacen POV thing...I'm glad you like it!

Killik_Twilight: Thanks!

Darth Caedus is creepy.

Jacen Solo is? alone.

I like the way you put that. :)

Those two together, though, could be very dangerous.[face_devil]

SilSolo: Thanks!

if only TK killed him during the embrace instead.

Where's the fun in that?

Or, How It Could Have Gone:

1) See Jacen. [face_monkey]

2) See Jacen See Tenel Ka. [face_love]

3) See Tenel Ka Deal With Jacen. [face_beatup]

4) See Jacen React. :_|

5) See The Galaxy Rejoice. [face_dancing]

The End.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.