main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If Jedi Are Forbidden to Marry: The Role of Offspring in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by There_Are_Four_Lights, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I'm so
    I'm sorry but that seems more likely to lead someone to the dark side then loving someone just saying.

Ryus and T-R- like this.
  2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    anakinfansince1983 I believe it was sarcasm because we see the PT Jedi getting ######off. We also see them save their friends instead of stopping the Sith from escaping. But wait, they are supposed to be selfless servants with no attachments willing to sacrifice anybody for the greater good :p

Ryus and Redimet like this.
  3. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    ^ This

Ryus likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Aaaaannnd, here we go again.

Let me know when this thread gets back on topic instead of just a stream of mindless posts that all read like "THE PT JEDI SUUUUCCCK! RAH RAH RAH!"

Mata2010 likes this.
  5. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    Well to be fair the PT jedi logic was a mess lol even in KOTOR they were aloud to love so I bet they are aloud in the ST.

Ryus likes this.
  6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    That's not what I said. I never said they suck. That's just how you deflect from answering the question posed.

You said the Jedi can't have attachments because it would prevent them from serving the greater good. That they couldn't have a family because they might choose protecting them over some random person. And that the PT Jedi would sacrifice each other for the greater good because they are so selfless and unattached (all paraphrased)

I simply posted a movie fact that shows everything you claim the Jedi should (and did in the PT) represent by having the no attachments rule is completely false.

Yoda chose his friends over stopping the Sith. What difference would it have been if it was his wife instead?

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    ^This!

Iron_lord and T-R- like this.
  8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Guys lets not turn this into another PT bashing game. Some of us like it, some of us hate it, and believe it or not some of us are just meh about it. I'm just going to put a stop to it now. Here is your line, if you want to cross it please do. But just know that you will be take a break from the boards. Stay on topic.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Luke has no obligation to follow the rules that led to the old order's destruction. Loving and having attachments are not an immediate gateway to the Dark Side, it is the selfish and jealous actions of the insecure that lead down that path. But not all who follow the Dark Side are jealous or insecure.

The old order was isolated and so afraid of the Dark Side, they cut themselves off from attachment. They didn't believe enough in themselves to allow attachment and love. Han and Leia have a 99.9999% of being together in 7. I'm sure it will be shown as a wonderful thing and not the gateway drug to killing children and evil.

ChildOfWinds, Ryus and T-R- like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The thread topic is "If Jedi are forbidden to marry: the role of offspring in the ST".

Not "Should the Jedi be forbidden to marry?" Or "List the ways the PT Jedi suck."

A mod steps in and you all are still at it.

So...offspring. Are there any EU situations in which a Jedi had children who were not Force-sensitive? Has anything been said about Ki-Adi Mundi's children?

I think that dynamic could be interesting.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

There's a quote from Children of the Jedi that might be relevant:

"The Masters always had a problem with the children born Jedi to non-Jedi parents, you know. Because it's passed on in families, but not always ... and it often manifests spontaneously, in people who had no experience with it and no way to deal with children who had it. The Masters tried to catch those as early as they could, because those were the ones at the most risk from the dark side. Those, and the children born of Jedi parents who were only a little bit Force-strong, who had only a tiny bit of what their brothers and sisters and playmates had at full strength. Some of those were ... the most dangerous of all."

Also - The Crystal Star had a child of two very powerful students of Vader (Hethrir and Rillao) who had no Force-sensitivity at all - Tigris.

Rillao, despite Vader's attempts, didn't go Dark.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rillao

Another example:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force-sensitive

In some cases, such as those of Fionah Ti, Vaner Shan and Theron Shan, children of Jedi and other Force-sensitives were incapable of using the Force, a rare and unexplained phenomenon that occurred in random generations.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So the assumption should be that an offspring is likely to be Force-sensitive and need to be trained by the Order as well.

That goes back to my earlier point that the Jedi child could be apprenticed to his or her parent or to another.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Question is - is "parent-child attachment" problematic enough that Luke will insist on keeping them separated?

Satele Shan, Grandmaster of the TOR Jedi Order, certainly thought so when she got pregnant - so she found a Jedi to be adoptive parent to the young Theron from birth.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would hope that all Jedi are rational and self-aware enough to make the decision as she did, whether that decision means s/he is capable of raising his or her own child or deciding that it would be best if another Jedi did so.

Luke may wait and see if there's an issue with Jedi children being apprenticed to their own parents, and either make a blanket rule or leave it to a case-by-case basis depending on the prevalence of any problems.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Logistics are also going to be an issue.

In a galaxy of 100 quadrillion - there were only 10,000-odd fully qualified Jedi. Don't know what the "drop-out" rate was - but those numbers do suggest that only a minuscule fraction of the galaxy's population have everything it takes to become Jedi.

How's Luke going to insure that this minuscule fraction gets to him, for training?

Maybe he'll find midi-chlorian detectors, send the schematic via the HoloNet to every world in the ex-Empire, with a request that each government mass-produce it, test their citizens (especially infants) and ship all found, to wherever his training centre is?

Having already hired childcare professionals (orphanage personnel maybe) to take care of them when they arrive.

16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah, that's gonna fly... right after fighting for freedom and winning the day against tyrants who forced their will upon others, the Rebel Alliance decides to kidnap 10,000 infants so they can become Jedi in about 20 years. Yeah, no political backlash there... with a reward too far away for any politican to expect to see in their term. :rolleyes:

So simply put, it ain't realistically gonna happen. Sorry but practicality almost demands the training of older students who aren't dogmatically gonna accept the no marriage rules like infants raised by Jedi did. So, if Luke did forbid marriage he just blasted himself in the foot and created a group of students like his father who might be willing to break that rule... then another... and another...

So either the no marriage rule is gonna create a plot device similar to the PT, that some like from the PT, some hated, and many where just meh about... imho this effects Disney's bottom line so it has high odds of not happening and too much a repeat of the last trilogy to be rebranded as the OT like Disney is marketing it as... or the no marriage rule won't be playing a big role here since it would create to many problematic issues to the plot their aiming for and we'll get marriage for at least a few jedi and offspring (the obvious one is Leia that comes to mind)

However, no matter the argument... Lucas did say Jedi aren't celebate. So the role of offspring (Anakin of the force/theories of DS manipulation, Luke/Leia of Anakin) is still likely to deal with the big threats to the galaxy, just like it was in the first two trilogies.

T-R- and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even if the governments were to do their best to try and talk the parents into handing the kids over - it would probably come across as creepy.

We also don't know what percentage of Jedi candidates fail their training and leave the Order before reaching Knighthood. Or what the minimum level of power needed for it to be viable is.

Even if it's only adults that are tested, Luke might end up with hundreds of thousands of "candidates" that he has to sort through himself- eventually having to tell many that they don't quite qualify.

T-R- and Ryus like this.
  18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Worse, its likely impossible all the imperial supporters are out of power everywhere throughout the galaxy. Some of them will likely have deep pockets and a will to take advantage of this to counterattack the Rebel Alliance/New Republic and cause them to lose public favor. It's not an advantagous move for them to make, and literally giving their enemies a way to publically gain support through their missteps.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Assuming for the moment that Luke goes for subtlety - how might he get the Force-Sensitives he needs to create his new Jedi Order?

Could be done by making "Become a Jedi" as appealing as possible - then advertise across the galaxy: "It could be YOU."

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I wonder how many people will remember Vader and/or know that Luke is Vader's son, and if he will get any backlash from that. There was some mention in the EU but not much.

Also, if people know that Luke and Leia are siblings, and she and Han have kids--will any of them feel any pressure to not be like their grandfather?

One of my favorite scenes in the NJO was Jacen hearing Anakin Skywalker telling him to "stand firm." If Han and Leia have a Force-sensitive child, I wouldn't mind a scene like that, a storyline in which one of the kids looks at his or her grandfather's heroism and tries to emulate it while trying to avoid the flaws that he had that led him to make bad choices.

If we're going to do a lineage story that is. I think there could be Jedi characters who are not SkySolos who have offspring.

Iron_lord : I would not think that Luke needed to "ensure" that all the Force-sensitives in the galaxy get to him. I think he might get the word out that he is rebuilding the Order and if there is some Palpatine-friendly anti-Jedi propaganda still around, he'd probably have to do some PR on the benefits of a life of service in the Order.

I expect him to rebuild slowly, not demand that every kid get tested and shipped to him because WE HAVE TO HAVE A THOUSAND KNIGHTS RIGHT NOW.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem is, if he doesn't test them and train them, then the risk is of a galaxy full of untrained Force-sensitives, vulnerable to The Dark Side - and to being exploited as potential apprentices by surviving Darksiders.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    How many surviving Dark Siders are you assuming there are?

I am expecting a Dark Side using villain or two but not an army of Dark Siders hiding in the shadows waiting to spot Force-sensitive kids.

In fact I'm hoping the main villain is more unique than just straight-up Sith but that's another topic.

I think Luke will be in a position to do some PR and recruitment.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see Palpatine having used exactly the same procedures as the Jedi to identify Force-sensitives - drawing from that population, to create for himself a cadre of minions way below himself and Vader in power.

After he died - someone might have taken his info and made use of it.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But who?

That's a problem I think Luke will address if it happens. I wouldn't assume it's happening as he is recruiting.

But if it does, I could see him letting parents know that having their Force-sensitive child trained as a Jedi is a way to keep then safe, while still giving them the same choice that Qui-Gon gave Shmi.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's also the chance that a Force-sensitive will Fall To The Dark Side on their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.