main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I'll be honest...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthKuriboh, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I agree, I read once on a Trek board where they complained and were wishing there EU was like ours.

I also did read Star Trek Destiny by the way-awesome trilogy.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still have issues with DNT onwards but reading chapters for those series's after watching TFA makes me appreciate certain things from those stories even more.

AusStig and Sinrebirth like this.
  3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    DNT is Denning's best work. Seriously.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Destiny was indeed excellent, but the follow-through on it was even better.

And yes, Trek books may not be canon nor have to respect a shared continuity, but the people editing and writing them decided to act as if it were - the result has been a sustained year-on-year of excellent books that have taken various Trek characters to some very interesting places.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Star by Star, surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What I have noticed is that Trek books are somewhat darker than Star Wars books.

As for Denning I don't think he's a bad author-I'm not a fan of where he took Jacen's character, his sexual fetishes, and his overly gratuitous violence but he can certainly write well-SBS for example.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Maybe I need to read SbS and DNT again to compare literary quality
    However, as of this moment I feel like DNT have everything. My favorite characters, a war of galactic importance. Everyone pitched in, adults, older men, younger girls, older women, even some Chiss of every age. It literally is a war without concern for age, without discrimination for locations.
    When I read SbS I feel like the plot destroys everything I held dear. The NR utterly defeated when the battle of Coruscant could have been won. Denning wrote a battle scene where the NR is winning, and then because the overall plot demanded it, [Mr. Scott] The Yuuzhan Vong held at their post, while the NR ran.[/Mr. Scott]. Then every single adult Jedi were like, even though the Yuuzhan Vong is killing absolutely every Jedi, I bertter stay out of the way, let the kiddies handle it.

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Wasn't there some reason why the adult Jedi didn't participate in the Mykyr mission? Something about capture?

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    No Vong commander would get overconfident with Jedi adults. They needed to hijack the ship after the Vong commander had ferried them across the border.

Thus one adult (Ganner), pretending to be the leader, and however many teenagers. Sixteen teenagers?

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    How old was Ganner anyway? I mean wasn't he in his early twenties?

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Probably late twenties. I mean he and Wurth were in charge of the Academy while Kam and Tionne went to Luke and Mara's wedding.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Ganner Rhysode and Wurth were in charge of the Academy while Yuuzhan Vong indiscriminately slaughters everything in their path while Kam and Tionne went to Luke and Mara's wedding.

This is EU canon.

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    No, Luke and Mara's wedding was five years before the Vong arrived.

AusStig and DARTH_MU like this.
  14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
  15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    more about 6 years. They were married in 19 ABY and the Vong arrived in 25 ABY.

16. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    I can count fourteen off the top of my head: Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Tahiri, Tenel Ka, Lowie, Zekk, Raynar, Tekli, Eryl Besa, Ulaha Kore, and three Barabels. Or were there more Barabels? Seriously, Denning overdid it with the Barabels.

17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    It's okay when the kids went to war when all/most of the adults were dead or something.
    The terrible wrong comes from the kids were in war while the adults hid. At least Mara should have participated. She should have been "pretending" to be the leader

This is why some people were mad that Luke hid while everything went to poodoo.

Edit: Oh hell Luke could have Force called Callista or even the Sith could have responded like Shira Brie or the Lost Tribe of the Sith or something. Then have Shira Brie pretends to be Mara pretend to be the leader cause Luke was such a family first guy. Seriously this guy will only respond when family gets harmed.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Luke is too valuable to be captured/killed.

19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I mean, IRL it's a war crime to use children under 15.

Hadn't Mara like just recently given birth?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

20. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    First it's probably not a war crime to use children in under 15 in SW universe

Then so what. She's a Jedi. People were dead left and right and a Jedi can take a rest? What kind of an example does that set?

21. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    That she believes that children are our future...

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well the Jedi involved in the Mykyr mission were 15 to around 20 years old. So it wouldn't be a warcrime.

23. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    It was more a general reply to "There is nothing wrong with kids in war" than me trying to damn the Jedi. It might've been a weird, weird plan, but not a war crime.

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    There was a lot wrong with that mission.

25. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Yes!

Let's send them all in a sucide mission!

so mychild can live! WOOT Don't worry Mommy will always be here she won't let anything bad happen to you I here by give you permission to kill me first

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.