main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'll Be The Roundabout. . .

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by fett, Nov 20, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthmorgan

darthmorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 1999
    Thanks, Captain. I'll defintiely pick up Flower Power tomorrow. I may also get the remastered Lamb Lies Down...., and maybe one of the remastered Marillion sets, and there's this King Crimson set pretty reasonbly priced.......

One new job may not be enough to support this habit.

2. fett

fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 1999
    Gah- I had no idea this thread was still alive. Sorry I've been MIA. I hardly ever come around here anymore, but I will obviously have to start checking in more often to finish my education in prog rock.

Anyone get the new Platypus album w/ Ty Tabor, Rod Morgenstein and some of the DT guys?

3. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    Both Platypus CDs are pretty good. I think the first one is better the Ice Cycles. Word was a few months back that they were going to do an album under a different name as a trio w/no keyboards, more of a hard rock release.

I'm enjoying Flower Power. Roine's voice is an acquired taste, but his guitar work and songwriting are amazing. I guess I'm in the minority in that I like the songs on disc two more than "Garden of Dreams." I may try to pick up Space Revolver next time I go CD shopping.

I'm also finally going to give Marillion a try. I've never heard one of their albums, but I've been meaning to for years. I think I'm going with Brave first. I also hear that their new album is very good. Any suggestions?

And, Captain, I can't find the Ice Age CD in any store. Did you find it somewhere, or order online?

4. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    I haven't heard the new Marillion. I've been reading the reactions by fans and it seems mixed, especially after the band began playing the material live in the past week or so. Personally, I would go with Brave. And on a Marillion note, there's a story on their new album at the BBC.

And is anyone excited about the upcoming King Crimson/Tool shows in the US? I am, but my luck, a show won't be anywhere near me.

Ikhnaton: It couldn't be that hard :D

5. Captain Needa

Captain Needa Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 1998
    Re: Platypus - I wasn't too impressed with Ice Cycles, although I haven't really given it a serious listening. There wasn't anything that caught my ear though.

Re: Flower Kings - The songs on the second disc of Flower Power are great, aren't they? The thing I like more about Garden of Dreams are the lengthy instrumentals. I think Tomas Bodin on keys has as much to do with the songwriting on those as Roine Stolt does. They compliment each other well. The band is currently recording a new album, which Stolt thinks may be their best yet....

Re: Ice Age - I bought and have seen both The Great Divide and Liberation at Tower Records. They usually only have one copy if they have them in stock at all. You might have to order them online. I've been listening to Liberation more, but you can't lose with either release.

Re: Marillion - I think the US release of Anoraknophobia is the 15th. From the samples I've heard (and the description on their website), they really aren't prog anymore. Although you could argue that they are breaking new ground, thus they are actually being progressive. And yes, go with Brave.

Has anyone listened to Arena? They've shot up to the top of my list. I've had Immortal? for a while now, and had only thought of them as being "Marillionesque". But I recently bought the previous release The Visitor and it blew me away! Amazing songwriting, seemingly concentrating more on drama, emotions and sonic textures. They are far from technical, but are very expressive in their playing. The Visitor is quite theatrical in nature - a definite concept album about a near death experience. I read a review on the band somewhere describing them as the progressive Meatloaf which is spot on.

klingklang - I like King Crimson, but not enough to be excited about the tour. I think I need to give some more time to their works, because I really haven't given them a spin more than a couple of times.

Ikhnation - a guy can dream, can't he? ;)

6. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    To say I'm happy with Brave is a gross understatement. This is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard, particularly the title track (I admit it, I'm a sucker for pipes). I've listened to it straight though at least a dozen times in the past week, and it still feels fresh. I haven't even tried the second disc yet.

Needless to say, I'll be adding some more Marillion to my collection. I've done some more checking, and it looks like Afraid of Sunlight will be my next purchase. I feel like I'm in another minority, because after downloading some tracks, I definitely prefer the Hogarth-era material. I'll still probably get Misplaced Childhood.

Needa, I agree about the first disc of Flower Power, but at times it feels unfocused to me, like a movie or a novel that needs one more pass from an editor. I have to say I need to listen to it more, but I've been enjoying the second disc too much, particulary "The Power of Kindness" and "Psycedlic Postcard," which has to be the best Yes song in 20 years. :) Either way, it's hard to complain when you get nearly 2 1/2 hours of good music for 15 bucks.

I'm going to the big city on business tomorrow, so I'll make one last check for Ice Age before I break down and order online.

7. Ikhnaton

Ikhnaton Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    the Genesis "behind the music" was rerun last night.

I just wanna say that I don't think they focussed on Steve Hackett enough because it is plain to see that the music suffered after he left.

the whole story brings a tear to my eye. such talent, never fully appreciated when it was there :(

8. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
  9. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    Thoght I'd drop some Dream Theater news, if the DVD was not enough.

From http://www.dreamtheater.net/

Elektra will be issuing a new Dream Theater Live 3 CD set on September 18th, 2001, entitled "Live Scenes From New York". It will be the *complete* show recorded at Roseland Ballroom in New York City on August 30th, 2000, in its entirety from start to finish.

Track listing is:

Set 1: (Scenes From A Memory)
    Regression
    Overture 1928
    Strange Deja Vu
    Through My Words
    Fatal Tragedy
    Beyond This Life
    John and Theresa solo
    Though Her Eyes
    Home
    The Dance Of Eternity
    One Last Time
    The Spirit Carries On
    Finally Free

Set 2:
    Metropolis Pt.1
    The Mirror
    Just Let Me Breathe
    Acid Rain
    Caught in a New Millennium
    Another Day
    Jordan solo
    Erotomania
    Voices
    The Silent Man
    Learning To Live

Encore:
    A Change Of Seasons

Release dates are still subject to change for different territories throughout the world.

That picks up the four tracks that aren't on the DVD in some form. I'd recommend this if only for what I now consider to be the definitive version of "A Change of Seasons."

Marillion is still blowing my mind, guys. I can't thank enough those of you here and on other message boards that recommended them. I even like Radiation, which seems to be reviled by most fans. I'll admit, Holidays in Eden is sub-par, but there's enough good material on the 2-disc set to justify the purchase. To complete the Hogarth collection, I had to order Season's End and This Strange Engine from across the pond via the official website, as I cannot find them in stores, and both are backordered on Amazon and CDNow. All the Fish-era releases are pretty easy to find though, so I'll be getting some of those soon

Since the subject was broached earlier, Anoraknaphobia may not be prog, but it's certainly dynamic. Definitely my favorite CD of the year so far.

This new obsession has put more Flower Kings and trying Ice Age on the back burner, but I'm sure I'll get to them soon.

10. Captain Needa

Dec 3, 1998
    The Scenes From A Memory DVD is awesome! The cd sounds like a must buy...

As for Anoraknophobia, I've been listening to it every day. Their best work since Brave IMHO. If we define progressive as Piett and Neo-Era had earlier discussed, the current Marillion would fit nicely. You get the same classic Marillion sound with some new styles thrown in, although I don't particularly care for Ian Mosley's drumming on this album. But, I especially like that 7/8 bit in If My Heart Were A Ball It Would Roll Uphill... :cool:

darthmorgan - I go hot and cold on Flower Kings, as their arrangements aren't always as lush and full as they could be. Great songwriting, but there often seems to be something missing. I've been listening to Arena more often because Clive Nolan's arrangements seem more complete. I only wish he would use a real piano for the acoustic parts....

11. Arseman

Arseman Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    I recently got myself the "Tokyo Tapes" concert on DVD. I had read somewhere about it being released sometime, but I think I got mine before that date. Might be some kind of bootleg or something, but it looks good.

12. fett

fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 1999
    Hey guys!

Just saw Doug Pinnick's 'Poundhound' band live - Christian Nesmith (Mike Nesmith's son *the Monkees*) played guitar along w/ Doug. Great live sound - very heavy, tbough not too progressive. King's X should have a new album out by September. Also Ty IS in fact in the studio w/ Morgenstein and Myung doing a side project, and also planning another album w/ Sherinan (sp?) and Greg Bissonette (DLR band) on drums. Busy guys.

Has anyone heard of Atomic Opera? Good prog-metal - I highly recommend thier new disc on Metal Blade entitled 'Gospel Cola.' These guys are a King's X/Galactic Cowboys knockoff, but are original enough to be enjoyable (if you like crunchy guitars and melodic vocals).

Also- word on the street is that Living Color has reunited for a tour, then a new album sometime next year (I'm a big Vernon Reid fan)!

This is now officially the longest running thread I've ever started.

13. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    It's going to be a great few months for Dream Theater fans. First, here's the tracklisting and release date for James Labrie's second solo album:

The tentative release date for Mullmuzzler 2 is August 7th, 2001. The album will be released by Magna Carta and will simply be called "James LaBrie's Mullmuzzler 2". The tracklisting and artwork will be as follows:

Afterlife
    Venice Burning
    Confronting The Devil
    Falling
    Stranger
    A Simple Man
    Save Me
    Believe
    Listening
    Tell Me

And, similar details on Transatlantic 2:

The upcoming TransAtlantic album will be titled "Bridge Across Forever", and is scheduled for a release sometime in October (exact date still TBA).

Track listing is as follows:
    Duel with the Devil
    Suite Charlotte Pike
    Bridge Across Forever
    Stranger in Your Soul
    Just like "SMPT:e", the album is self-produced and being mixed by Rich Mouser.

Also, there will be a Limited Edition 2 CD version available which will contain a cover of Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" as well as studio outtakes and demos.

Then, the new DT album is expected to arrive in January 2002.

Maybe my expectaions are too high, but I fully expect TA2 to be the best album of the year. The 2-disc set will be the way to go, that's an interesting choice for a cover song.

In a matter of about six weeks, I've completed my Marillion collection (studio albums anyway). Once again, I can't believe I didn't listen to that guy in college who tried to get me into them. But, I was into heavier stuff back then, so I'm not sure I would have liked them at the time. I'm starting to get into the Fish material more now, especially Script For a Jester's Tear, which is brilliant. So far, Fugazi and Clutching at Straws aren't really doing it for me, but, given time, I'm sure I'll appreciate them more.

I'm kind of dissapointed in the new Poundhound CD. Doesn't hold a candle to the first one. Did they perform any King's X material live, or only the Pundhound stuff?

And, Fett, this is my favorite topic ever in the JC. As a matter of fact, it's pretty much the only reason I still visit. Funny, to have an intelligent music discussion, and get good recommendations, I have to come to a Star Wars site. :)

Keep the info and recommendations coming.

14. Ikhnaton

Ikhnaton Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    uppers.

just wanted to express how upset I am that I couldn't see Steve Hackett live during his South America tour that is going on right now.

He closes in Mexico city where he will be playing today, tomorrow and the next day :(

15. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    I'm so sorry to hear that, Ikhnaton. Could you have realisitically gone to those?

Anyone here get tix for the King Crimson/Tool shows? I couldn't. I am so sad. I'm still crying about it. See -> :_| And I shall continue doing so for some time.

16. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Wow, I didn't know this thread existed. ( I've only been at JC a lot since last October ) and even then, I stick to the Literature and EpII forums. It's interesting going on a SW website and then having a forum like this, to talk about anything among hundreds or thousands of people...

Anyone have the setlist for the Yes tour? I don't care if I'm spoiled this go-'round. I've got my tickets for the Bowl show on the 30th in Hollywood.

P.S. - I heard on Star 98 ( L.A. radio station ) about the Universal 80's show tomorrow night, and Asia got mentioned. Their new album Aura is awesome...best of the John Payne lineup yet.

17. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Welcome Sturm Antilles! How nice to see you here :D

The Yes setlist has been posted on alt.music.yes (the Yes newsgroup). But I've been staying away from it, so I am unable to pass that info on. There also was an article in a recent issue of the San Diego Tribune with the orchestra arranger. I skimmed it and it hinted at the songs he was working on (pretty much looked like a similar setlist to last year's Masterworks tour).

Otherwise, Yes is supposedly rehearsing in LA...somewhere. And the tour starts in one week. Yippee!

You're still passing up the Asia show at Universal? Too bad there aren't any giveaways for that one.

And now, I shall go back to my crying...thank you :_|

18. Captain Needa

Dec 3, 1998
    FYI...

Flower Kings are releasing The Rainmaker on September 18 in both US and Europe. Lineup is the same as on Space Revolver, although drummer Jaime Salazar has since left the band (supposedly on good terms, but perhaps he was miffed that his name was left off of the SR credits ;)) and been replaced by Zoltan Csörsz.

darthmorgan - I know what you mean, this thread is the only one I follow at the JC. Perhaps I'll lurk and post some more when the trailers for Ep. II start appearing....

Sturm Antilles - welcome aboard! I'm interested in finding out more about Aura and the while Payne era for that matter. I mentioned previously that I didn't really care much for anything other than the first two Asia albums.

19. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Needa, that's understandable. For me, Asia and Alpha are like what Rumours and the White Album are for Fleetwood Mac...classics that will never be topped.

I prefer John Wetton, but Payne isn't too shabby. When I decided to check out the 90's material with him, I started with Anthology, since it samples most albums up to 1996, and has the remakes of some of the Wetton songs ( Not as good, but still great...and actually, Payne's version of "Go" ROCKS. )

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Needa, that's understandable. For me, Asia and Alpha are like what Rumours and the White Album are for Fleetwood Mac...classics that will never be topped.

I prefer John Wetton, but Payne isn't too shabby. When I decided to check out the 90's material with him, I started with Anthology, since it samples most albums up to 1996, and has the remakes of some of the Wetton songs ( Not as good, but still great...and actually, Payne's version of "Go" ROCKS. )

21. Captain Needa

Dec 3, 1998
    I read a review on Aura that really didn't say much more than it was AOR, but Steve Howe's work is easily identifiable.

I can?t believe no one?s mentioned this yet, I just discovered that Yes is releasing Magnification on September 11!

22. Captain Needa

Dec 3, 1998
  23. Eibwen

Eibwen Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2001
    Cool, i wish i could be the starter of a lonely thread =)

24. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Last time I was here, I could not get to the last page. Fortunately, it seems to be working again! :)

Saw Yes last week and had a miserable time thanks to some drunken and lit idiots behind me. They wouldn't stop talking and laughing until before the encore, during which they knocked over their massive collection of beer bottles. So there was this crash of breaking glass during "I've Seen All Good People." And then they kept lighting their pipe so close to the back of my head that I felt the lighter's heat on my cheek. Ugh...had a much better time at the Roxy Music show this week, surprisingly.

25. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    My show at the Bowl was okay. But I happened to sit next to the 2 loudest guys there. I was kind of disappointed in seeing another replica of the Masterworks show plus 2 songs I already saw live. The new ones were good though. Orchestra - barely heard it. I don't see the point. ( Not knocking it though. )

If some Drama is brought back next tour, I'll be happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.