main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'll Be The Roundabout. . .

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by fett, Nov 20, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cydonia

cydonia Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 6, 2001
    how was Roxy Music, anyway?

2. Ikhnaton

Ikhnaton Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    klingklang, I am soooooo jealous of you!

tell us more about the concert! how was it with the orchestra? Did Steve Howe play geetars? Did they change around the songs a lot because of the orchestra? did they mainly do old stuff?

spill the beans!!

:)

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Here's the setlist as I remember it...

Orchestra intro
    Close to the Edge
    Long Distance Runaround
    Don't Go ( new song )
    In the Presence Of ( new song )
    Gates of Delirium
    Wonderous Stories
    Ritual Nous Sommes Du Soleil
    I've Seen All Good People
    Starship Trooper
    Roundabout (encore)

Lineup - Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Alan White, Chris Squire, Some New Dude On Keyboards and Larry Groupe and the HollyWood Symphony Orchestra.

BTW - The orchestra didn't add much...only on quiet parts, filling in for keyboards, some new flourishes, and an intro to some songs. It was basically unheard during Gates.

4. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    suh-weet!

5. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    cydonia: Roxy Music was excellent. Nice set design and Ferry, Manzanera, and McKay were quite energetic. Nice mix of tracks, as opposed to a greatest hits type of presentation.

Sturm Antilles: Sorry to hear you had a similar crowd problem. And I too was surprised that the setlist was practically like last year's. Some people had said the promoters were not interested in having the band back around this year, but when the concept of the orchestra was brought up, the promoters didn't hesitate. What's disappointing to me as well was the fact that I couldn't hear the orchestra; then again, I couldn't hear much of anything.

Oh, and the other thing that is bugging me: shirts were only $30 at the other California shows, but for the Bowl they were $35 (I think they're now $32 as the tour continues). And the blasted program was $20. I don't care if it glows in the dark! Curse this Yes addiction of mine.

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Kling...I agree. I actually forgot to check out the souvenier stand though. Good thing I wasn't tempted. But it doesn't matter anyway. I won't pay over $ 15 for a Yes shirt ( Or most shirts for that matter... ) I can get them on eBay or thrift stores. I don't mind the hunting. As it is, I picked up a bootleg shirt for $ 10. It's pretty good. Man, those guys can put used car salesmen to shame. It's actually quite sickening.

Is anyone here a fan of GTR? I bought that on record in 1998 ( when I discovered Yes ) but I just got into it last year and had to get the CD. Then I got the remastered one ( sounds awesome ) and gave the old one to my girlfriend.

I cannot stop playing it. It's been literally burned into my CD player for the past 12 months. I've always had a soft spot for 80's Yes, Asia, Styx and some of the other groups of the early 80's, and this album has made me interested in more of Steve Hackett's work...Oh how I wish Napster was as good as it once was...

"When the heart rules the mind
    One look, and love is blind
    When you want the dream to last
    Take a chance, forget the past..."

7. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    Sturm, audiogalaxy.com is a good source for Hackett, and I've got quite a large collection myself...

8. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Audiogalaxy is great. But be like Ikhnaton and just pick up Hackett's CDs. They're all brilliant.

And how I wish I had seen GTR live. I almost did, but then I didn't (can't remember why not). Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to replace my cassette version of their album, nor their King Biscuit CD.

9. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    klingy, just go to stevehackett.com :D

and i should amend my previous statement regarding my hackett collection: I have ALL of them :)

10. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Thanks, but it's actually because I get distracted by other things and don't have the extra spending money for such a purchase. :(

11. darthmorgan

darthmorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 1999
    I had no idea GTR was even still available on CD. My old copy of the tape gave up the ghost long ago. A buddy of mine got the CD in a cut out bin for $1.00 about 10 years ago. I knew the King Biscuit CD was out there, but I have to get a copy of the album

The new Transatlantlanic CD, "Bridge Across Forever," is up for preorder at CDnow, but right now, they only have the standard version. I said it before, I firmly expect this to be THE album of 2001.

Just got my latest package from Radiant Records, including Neal Morse's new solo album, "It's Not Too Late," and the CD single to "All on a Sunday." Neal's CD is great, but's it's not a prog album. More of a "singer/songwriter" type, but if your a fan of his voice and playing, you should check it out. Only available through Radiant Records site, for now anyway. The "Sunday" single includes a new recording of the song, a new track called "The Truth," and video for "Sunday," which is pretty good, as videos go. There's also word that a DVD is on the way. In fact, I think they are recording tomorrow night's show ar DragonCon.

New Flower Kings should be out soon, too.

12. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Thanks for the tip on Neal Morse's solo album. Have to check that out.

In the meantime, I picked up the new Yes called Magnification and it's actually really good. My first listen, I didn't particularly care for it. But after hearing it a second time, I think it's their best since Keys to Ascension's studio tracks. The orchestral contribution is a nice touch. So far, "Give Love Each Day," "Can You Imagine," "In the Presence Of" and the title track are my favorites.

Also got the live Dream Theater and the new Flower Kings, but I'm still trying to digest those.

13. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    hey klingy :)

14. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Hi Ikhnaton! How have you been friend?

Did you get the Genesis Songbook DVD yet?

15. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    Got the semi-regular Radiant Records new release e-mail today. The main point was that the limited edition of TA2 has been delayed by a week or so, and that Porcupine Tree is now available through RR. But the last line of the message nearly made me soil myself:

COMING SOON: SPOCK'S BEARD - MAKING OF V AND MORE ON DVD!

I'd been hearing rumors of the Beard coming to DVD next year, but this seems to imply we'll see something sooner. "Making of V" was released on VHS earlier this year and is supposed to be excellent.

Here's the latest on Dream Theater's new album:

Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

The new album will be a 2CD Set consisting of Six
    songs: "The Glass Prison", "Blind Faith", "Misunderstood",
    "The Great Debate", "Disappear" and the entire 2nd CD
    will consist of the 40-minute title track "Six Degrees
    of Inner Turbulence"

Once again the album was Produced by Mike Portnoy &
    John Petrucci and Mixed by Kevin Shirley

An exact release date hasn't yet been confirmed,
    but it is slated for January 2002"

Hope everyone likes the live DT album as much as I. For my money, "A Change of Seasons" on disc 3 is now the definitive version of this classic.

I can also highly recommend James Labrie's new solo, Mullmuzzler 2. Like the first, it's much more prog than I expected.

Post your thoughts on the new Flower Kings -- I haven't talked myself into it yet.

16. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    hey klingy, I did indeed get the DVD and I think it is great :)

It is filmed all in B&W, and they managed to interview all the major members of the band, including Peter, Steve, Ant, Chester, Daryl, Ray, the old drummer before Phil whose name I forget, and even Bill Bruford.

I would have preferred more time spent on Steve (he always gets gypped) considering his overall contribution to the band, but they did have an extra of him playing "Horizons", which was awesome :) He wore these cop shades throughout the thing which bugged me, though.

The extras on the DVD included some "unplugged" performanced by Tony, Mike and Phil of songs like Follow you Follow me, No Son of Mine, and others.

I've never seen Phil wear glasses before. Peter may or may not have a goatee in it, but he definitely has a shaved head.

By far the best and most encompassing documentary of Genesis that I have ever seen. Well worth the money!

17. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Yeah, that Genesis DVD is superb. And it's vastly superior to that butchered version shown on VH1 as "Behind the Music." The extras are great.

darthmorgan: The Flower Kings release actually isn't that spectacular, in my opinion. It retreads a lot of ground, so I prefer their earlier releases over The Rainmaker.

Anyone pick up the new Transatlantic yet? I'm curious as to if it's better or worse than their debut.

And finally, is anyone catching King Crimson on their upcoming tour? Their LA date is two days after I'm seeing Spiritualized, so of course I can't go :_|

18. Captain Needa

Captain Needa Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 1998
    I agree with klingklang's opinion of The Rainmaker. Nothing new or exciting, much of it sounds straight out of the Back in the World of Adventures era.

OMG - you have to get TransAtlantic's Bridge Across Forever! It's a vast improvement over SMPTe. As John "Bo Bo" Bollenberg from www.progressiveworld.net puts it, it's "a prog lover?s wet dream." They no longer sound like Spock's Beard, with the sole exception of the title track, which sounds like it came straight off a Neal Morse solo album (yet still a wonderful song).

Pete Trewavas's bass is much more prevalent, as well as his vocals. In fact, the diversity of the vocals gives the band more flexibility in sound, style and balance. My favorite moment? In Stranger In Your Soul, a 7/8 melodic line sung by Morse followed by the chorus sung by Trewavas. Great stuff!

This is one of the few albums I've ever bought that after only a couple of minutes I knew I was in store for something special, and I would have to immediately listen to it again!

19. darthmorgan

Nov 12, 1999
    I can't agree enough that you should get the new Transatlantic CD immediately if not sooner. It is far and away my favorite album of the year, and of the past several years, in fact. I'm almost convinced these guys should quit their day gigs and do this full time.

Thanks for the advice on Rainmaker, I'll have to check out another one of the older CDs. I have Flower Power; how about Stardust We Are or Space Revolver? I know I can get those from a CD shop close by.

20. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Mmmmm. Good to see some good names that like the same good music I do.

Overall: Good.

21. Captain Needa

Captain Needa Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 1998
    Hey PreacherBoy, good to see a longtime mod make an appearance in here.... :)

darthmorgan, I think you would get more bang for your buck with Stardust We Are (2cds) than Space Revolver, but you really can't go wrong with either one. If you don't have any of their other albums, you would probably still enjoy The Rainmaker, but if you can find the live 2cd Alive on Planet Earth, it'll give you a really good idea of their past sound, along with a cover of Lamb Lies Down on Broadway....

And if you can find a copy, I highly recommend the album that started it all, Roine Stolt's solo album The Flower King. It's not as polished as the more recent albums, but the more raw guitar oriented (no Tomas Bodin) sound is refreshing. Stolt plays with much more passion, and there's plenty of instrumentals to show off his playing.

22. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    up wit' ye!

23. klingklang

Jan 12, 1999
    Thank you for upping this. For the longest time, I couldn't get the last page to load and now it's working for me.

Thanks for the recommendations on the new Transatlantic. I'll have to go pick that up then!

24. Ikhnaton

Dec 19, 1999
    the new genesis website is run by hit 'n run and is located here.

I also just learned that Steve Hackett will be headlining NEARfest 2002 in New Jersey! i have GOT to go to that!

25. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Wow this thread keeps going and going... :)

I should get that House of Yes DVD. Absolutely fabulous show they put on at HOB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.