main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "I'm sorry sir, but it's time for you to leave.": Would the clones have killed Bail?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vialco, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    When Bail Organa arrives at the Jedi Temple, Order 66 is fully underway and the clones seem ready to shoot anyone who intervenes. When Bail arrives and demands to be let in, the clones level their blasters at him and tell him to leave at once.

It's only as Bail's leaving that Zett Jukassa attacks, kills a couple clones and is then shot. The troopers from the 501st aim their weapons at Bail, but Commander Appo orders them to let him go.

Why did the clones let Bail leave the Temple and if he'd continued to force entry, would they have killed him?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    If he continued to force entry, they would kill him but since he agreed to leave, they didn't see the need to shoot him .

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It's possible they would have simply killed him, but it's also possible they would have had the sense to simply stun him.

The clones probably didn't see any reason to stop him. I doubt their orders covered the involvement of a Senator, so they probably let him go to err on the side of caution. Really, there's little if any reason to stop Bail, he didn't do anything and he doesn't know anything special. What does he know? He knows they shot a Jedi, which was obvious at that point.

I guess the only reason to stop Bail would be to prevent him from aiding fugitive Jedi, but the clones couldn't assume that he would do that. If they can justify taking action against Bail, they could justify taking action against any witnesses, of which there were surely many, or anybody really. Almost anybody could be accused of being a Jedi sympathizer (even if they're the complete opposite, it's been done) or planning to aid the Jedi in some way.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The murder of the Jedi was justified on the (false) grounds that the Jedi were planning a coup against the legitimate government of the Republic, which includes the senate. So the clones were ostensibly protecting the senate. Killing a senator would be counter-productive. Palpatine wanted to keep them around to maintain a façade of legitimacy. Apparently, it took 20 years for him to feel he no longer needed that façade.

5. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Order 66 was only a command to kill Jedi, no senators or other politicians. Let's say that Bail requested further entry into the temple, the clones would then have killed him because he would have intervened in their order. Seeing as he agreed to leave without any conflict, they saw it appropriate to let him go safely.

PrincessLeia17 and JEDI-RISING like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    edit: I thought they shot at him after he yelled "No!" but apparently they did not. No witnesses, yet! But the one trooper says "Let him go."

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    His plot armor would still protect him.

8. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think the movie makes it pretty clear that he was lucky to get out of there. I would say the answer to your question is yes, they would have shot him. They almost shot him just with what he actually did.

9. Kulture

Kulture Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2013
    No I don't believe they would of unless Bail didn't agree to leave, then maybe they would of shot him if he tried to get past them. But if Bail was a Jedi he would of been shot straight on the spot.

10. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I agree with Captain Tom Coughlin, I think that they would have shot him just for wanting to come in, but he was lucky for them to let him go.

11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I sincerely doubt that their weapons were set to stun....

12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    The Chancellor told them "Execute Order 66", and that was to kill the Jedi, no one else, and apparently it didn't include an order to hide what they were doing.

13. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    They might have killed him had he interfered with their operation (because then he could have been branded a traitor to the Republic/Empire), but since he technically peacefully went on about his business, they couldn't kill him without getting bad PR for killing a Senator.

14. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000

I agree. Not only does having the clone troopers gun down Bail destroy PalpSidious' credibility for wiping out the Jedi Order, it would also expose him as a war criminal and the Sith lord that the Jedi were looking for since TPM. If Obi-wan and Yoda were to make it back to Coruscant like they did in ROTS, they would use the hologram footage of PalpSidious naming Anakin as Darth Vader to incriminate the yet-to-be-appointed emperor which would lead the senate to remove PalpSidious from office and he'll end up facing Jedi justice.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They could always say Bail was a Jedi sympathizer aiding the Jedi rebellion, which he was and everyone knew it (the sympathizer part). If the hologram footage was enough to do anything, presumably Yoda would have used it.

Wiping out the entire Jedi Order, including attacking the Temple and killing all the kids, was a war crime in itself, but the Senate applauded it.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Sith and Darth don't mean enough to the avg person and Sidious is far too smart to allow that holo recording to be used against him... Anakin would be painted as the loyal general who rooted out the evil Jedi plot to overthrow the Chancellor and Bail's friendship with the Jedi would have been twisted to justify his execution. Once order 66 was issued, it was over for the Jedi and anyone found to be helping them... Senators included.

17. JediMasterKeno

JediMasterKeno Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    Yeah I think the clone troopers could have shot Bail Organs even if he was a politician. He was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

18. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I wouldn't have been surprised. Commander Cody opened fire on Kenobi a moment after a friendly exchange. They may have shot him up if they felt he was in getting in the way of their mission.

19. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Yeah I think the clone troopers could have shot Bail Organs even if he was a politician.
    ----------

those organs are the worst thing to shoot at :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The clones were not programmed to kill Bail. If he had not left when ordered and they had considered him a threat to Order 66 itself, they might have killed him. But their orders were to eliminate Jedi by lethal force. It makes sense that Commander Appo ordered the other clones to let Bail go.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    They could have been punished for killing him without permission, you know?

22. Larry Wilson

Larry Wilson Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2023
    In the novelization, the clone troopers did try to kill him. After he shouted no, one of the troopers turned to him and said "No witnesses," and the squad moved on him. He just barely made it out of there. I have to wonder if that was Lucas' original intention, but he changed his mind and reshot it.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  23. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Because at that moment, Bail had just seen them murder a child (Jedi nonwithstanding) and is screaming, 'NO' In their mind, he might be about to change his mind and intervene so they're preparing to kill him if necessary. Once he's clear of the Temple, they decided to let him go since it wasn't worth the hassle and their orders were to kill Jedi, not politicians.

Plus, Palpatine was planning on branding the Jedi as traitors so even if Bail went, 'OMFG I JUST SAW CLONES ATTACKING THE TEMPLE AND KILLING EVERYONE THEY EVEN KILLED A JEDI KID!!!!!" the people would be going, "Uh....yeah? They tried to overthrow the Republic. Your point?"

If he had insisted to be let into the Temple? Yes, they would've killed him.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  24. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Worth noting the film also portrays the Clones as Persecuting the Pau'an's and implicitly hunting Wookie's.
    The essence of Order 66 is to kill Jedi but there's likely *something* else in there that makes them act outright fascists otherwise those details wouldn't be included.
    I think they likely would have killed Senator Organa if given the chance. The "No Witnesses" line makes sense in the context that the emperor still cares about optics at that point. Bad Batch and other works set in that era show the Senate does in fact still have considerable influence and I doubt he wants it getting out the Clones were going around murdering children. (Though its never made clear in canon how much detail is public knowledge about Operation Knightfall, in Legends at least that fact was public knowledge).
    It still looks *really* bad on him, and I imagine if asked about it he would probably dodge the question.

The average clone trooper was certainly willing to kill him I think, they were gunning for him right after finishing off the Padawan.
    It just wasn't worth their effort to go out of their way to silence a single witness, as the senior officer does order them to let him go after he escapes.

25. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think it's basically anyone who "opposes" the empire.