main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm sure this has been done to death elsewhere but....

Discussion in 'Archive: Plymouth (SW England)' started by Stuey, Jan 21, 2003.

?

I'm sure this has been done to death elsewhere but....

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Star Wars (ANH)

21.4%
  2. Empire Strikes Back

57.1%
  3. Return of the Jedi

21.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
  2. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    ...let's get Plymouth's reponse!

which is the greatest film of the OT, please explain down here why you think so

as you can tell i'm bored/procrastinating from doing work

3. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    OK Stuey you have my vote: The Empire Strikes Back. But AOTC is my most favorite of SWmovies.

4. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Ok, not exactly in Plymouth but I'm only down the road :p

ESB of course :D

5. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    I HATE Star Wars!!

*awaits the Grim Reaper for this thread*

6. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    you didn't put other

7. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    I'm sorry Ramble, you can post it here. what other film from the original TRILOGY other than the THREE i've posted do you like :p

8. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    well I like the other one best

9. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    [face_laugh]

ok, one vote for the other film

10. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    Thats what I like to see, anknowledgement of the other selection!

11. clanger

clanger Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2001
    It's a close thing between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back.

Star Wars just pips the post for me, it's the first time we get to see the SW universe and its denizens, I love the used look of it.

The pacing of the story, the originality
    and the musical score is outstanding.

Andy

12. Turr_Phennir

Turr_Phennir Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2000
    I am not even anywhere near Plymouth but I just had to stick up for Jedi! Always derided as being the worst of the original trilogy, I disagree.

Agreed it had elements that were present solely to shift toys and lots of them like the Ewoks for example. However, I think we could barely have asked for a more rousing finale to the saga. And while everyone remembers Jedi as being an upbeat ending, it does have quite a few darker moments. Such as the death of Yoda, which is actually quite moving, especially when you consider his role and impact in the prequel trilogies as well.

Plus there is the unmasking and death of Vader, one of the most emotional scenes of the whole Star Wars saga. I was stunned when I first saw that and horrified and intrigued to learn that underneath that frightening death's mask, Vader was nothing more than a defeated, old man.

Of course proceeding that there is the amazing lightsabre duel as Luke faces Vader for the last time and some of the best dialogue - "If you will not be turned, then you will be destroyed."

Then there's Ian McDiarmid giving a riveting performance as the Emperor with again some great lines - "You, like your father, are now mine!" And that Force lightening!

And the awe-inspiring space battle, which IMO has never been bettered in Star Wars, the forest battle on Endor, and the lightsabre duel combining to make the best end sequence to any Star Wars film.

Finally, Jedi has one of the best SW scores of all, IMO. There is the charged Emperor's Theme, the Imperial March, new themes for Luke and Leia and Darth Vader's death. The scoring for the Battle of Endor is superb and again never bettered, IMO.

It is an epic film with enormous scope and scale and just pure entertainment. Absolutely the best :)

13. clanger

Feb 6, 2001
    Yousa point is well said............:)

Actually I agree, Jedi gets a lot of undeserved flack.

The sail barge battle is one of my favourite sequences of all the films.

The choral music when Luke begins to turn to the dark side is magnificent.

Ian Mcdiarmid is absolutely superb and hell.................................................We got speederbikes!!!!!!!!! :)

Andy

14. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    For me Empire is the best because it has somethign Jedi is lacking; consistancy. As both of you have pointed out Jedi has some amazing scenes (the final duel and the unmasking is possibly the best SW moment) but then it has an awful lot of crap. If they didn't have Ewoks, Max Rebo or any of the other annoying foam aliens it would be better. Sure the other had their bad looking aliens but that was ridiculous! i could have put up with just Wicket but then there was a whole tribe of them! it's ridiculous! plus it resorts to belch-jokes! the death of Boba Fett is ruined because it was followed up by an almighty Sarlacc belch!

I love Jedi, but it's the weakest of the OT because even though it's good moments are great it's bad moments are cringe-worthy and that just doesn't happen in Empire and A New Hope

15. clanger

Feb 6, 2001
    I agree, Jedi had a lot of weak moments, Fett's demise was certainly one of them!

I do think the Village celerbration scene was a great way to end the movie series, the Ewoks at least serve a purpose in that respect.

The special edition ending in Jedi was a very welcome addition.

Jedi was okay and does receive a lot of unfair critcism but I do think it's the weakest of the three. Empire is probably the best of all, but I have fond memories of Star Wars which tips the balance for me.

By the way I watched The Phantom Menace the other day and enjoyed it, do I need help?? :)

Andy

16. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Clanger - I do not think you need help.

Somehow AoTC has made the Phantom Menace seem a little more interesting. Plus, if you haven't seen it in while then it is bound to come over as reasonable ;)

17. CrixMakin

CrixMakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2002
    What's wrong with belches? I trained for years as a child to master the sarlacc-style-belch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.