main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Interest Measurement Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Sawn_Kassal, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Cronal! Nice to see you around here. There have been empire builder RPGs in the past. The last one was this one, I believe. They have their fans, and there a few military minded roleplayers in the RPF.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Hm...so *would* there be interest in an RP world similar to that in Kill Shakespeare? No one would be asked to write in Elizabethan English, of course, and I'm thinking the form of the game world would probably be heavily influenced by the characters people chose to play and how they chose to play them...

3. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Thanks for the warm reception :) I was curious actually since I remember during my lurking days of the forums that there used to be a few but was curious and decided to inquire.

4. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I would like something new, BobaMatt. Thing just is, it would take wuite some time until I can play another game, after having been drafted into GMing Mass Effect blindfolded.

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    How do we get more dinosaurs into the NSWRPF, eh? Not enough dinosaurs.

6. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I miss the days of Comic Book inspired NSWRPGs. Also, really miss being in the Tide of Flames RPG....amazing game there.

Any GM's considering putting up a quality Marvel or DC or Crossover RPG?

7. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    A lost art-form I am afraid. I am too far away from it these days to do it anymore.

I still got my The Batman is Dead somewhere, but Batman RIP probably makes it look like a rip-off

8. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    That is unfortunate, I love me some comics...in any form.

I have been tossing around the idea of getting back into the GM role, though probably can't do it until after my Black Belt test in June.

I have 3 ideas for games, but I will have to post them later and hopefully get some feedback/reaction to them.

9. dreven_Aarkanin

dreven_Aarkanin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2010
    When you ask about DC RPs, do you have any interest in lanterns?

10. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I have an interest in most any comic related games, especially when we deal with the cosmic/galactic level stuff. So yeah, I would be interested in dealing the Lantern wars.

11. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    What do you guys think of a Dragon Age: Origins game in which (1) every single Origin became a Grey Warden, and (2) players played said Wardens?

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I always thought that would be a excellent premise for a story.

13. dreven_Aarkanin

Jul 9, 2010
    Just gonna dip my toes into the water before I post anything in the GDG. Would anyone at all be interested in playing a Lantern RPG? (not specifically tied to green lanterns.)

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I dunno if the audience is there for a game specifically related to the various Lantern Corps, they're fairly niche. You'd probably have to go a bit broader, like the whole DCU or some such.

15. dreven_Aarkanin

Jul 9, 2010
    The thing is, I don't much care for the DCU in general. (blasphemy, I know.) I like the Lanterns quite a bit, as they're my main foray into the DCU.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, likewise, but I just don't think enough people know the GL canon specifically for it to really work out well. Maybe you could work the core concept (Multiple groups with powers deriving from emotions) into something else which would be more accessible? That might also be a beneficial route as superhero games seem to be cursed around these parts.:p

17. dreven_Aarkanin

Jul 9, 2010
    It's not a stick-to-canon game. the Plot I have developed starts with a clean slate.

18. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    So, two games I've been planning for a while...

1. Already some interest for this one: a Stargate SG-1/Star Wars crossover RPG. Would take place 1,000 ABY, but the Star Wars galaxy would not be seen (at least not initially) - all the action would take place during Season 4 of Stargate SG-1, when Apophis ruled the Goa'uld.

The story: a Sith Lord finds a Stargate in the Unknown Regions of the GFFA. He deduces that the builders of the Stargate are the Celestials, or Architects - in the RPG, the Celestials/Architects are a group of Ancients who found the Star Wars galaxy, and like in the Milky Way, created human life there. This explains why there are humans, separately evolved, in the Ori, Milky Way and Star Wars galaxies.

The Sith Lord uses the Stargate to travel to the Milky Way, where he begins using his Force power to be worshipped as a god a la the Ori. He allies with the Goa'uld in his goal to estalish dominion over all the Milky Way galaxy.

Players would be in three 'camps' - the SGC, playing members of SG teams, either OCs or canon characters, the Goa'uld Empire, playing Goa'uld and Jaffa, again either OC or canon, and the Independents, such as Lucian Alliance members, rogue Jaffa, Asgard, and so on. The Sith and any ascended beings would be off-limits.

2. This is a game which would take place in the famed ABYVerse, but the very far past, and would link in with the backstory of Sinrebirth's Gorog character and my Darth Venomis. Knowledge of the ABYVerse would be irrelevant to the goings-on of the RPG, however, which would take place in 30,000 BBY on Korriban.

The story: the Sith race of Korriban is pitted against each other in a bloody war for purposes of a trial. One camp is led by Gorog, the other by Venomis, and each faction has slightly different modes of operation, philosophies, tactics etc. with Gorog's focusing more on combat, war and raw Force power, and Venomis' on stealth, deception and Sith magic.

Players would be all true pure-blooded Red Sith. No Darths. No lightsabers. Ancient Sith sorcery and swords are the game of the day - a more fantasy, Medieval aspect of Star Wars would be focused on. Essentially, this game would be like many of the old Sith Academy games (e.g. for the New Sith Order), except for ancient, rather than 'modern,' Sith; there would be temples, there would be academies, there would be a lot of fighting and politicking, and most of all there would be a lot of training involved as each brutal battle on the Korriban wastes lends experience and prowess to every warrior fighting them.

19. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    ABYverse games in BBY? [face_laugh] Well, Gorog is the guy from 41 ABY, is he? Remember reading about him. Otherwise I hardly see any connection with ABYverse, to be truthful. Probably more a thing of your personal canon? Anyway, what I mean is that games that appeared to be "forced" into ABYverse had a history of bad reception around here. Not that I think you wanted to do that. It is just something that has become painfully obvious over the years. Many of those games would have stood better without the burden of being called ABYverse. A brand with which many player summarize the time between 100 ABY and 137 ABY. Some even argue it is the period between 128 ABY and 135 ABY. These games being ignored was often quite a shame. But that´s the way it is. The idea might actually look better without that "branding". Actually the idea looks pretty fine. Except 30.000 bby is a bit far away from athe A in ABYverse.

Can´t say a thing about SG-1. Never liked the TV series.

20. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Actually it's more Sinre's personal canon and my personal canon... I.e. the story of Gorog, the Night Herald, fighting the Shadow Hand over Korriban is the backstory Sinre provided for Gorog, and the Venomis character is mine from the 146 ABY Shadow War game, so this game would be in the ABYVerse continuity, yes, but beyond Gorog and Venomis there would be no other characters we've seen before appearing, so it's pretty far removed from the ABYVerse as it's not trying to be an ABYVerse story. ;)

Nonetheless, it is fleshing out pre-existing backstory, so it wouldn't work any other way. ;) Thanks for the feedback!

21. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    I'd definitely join the first one ;)

22. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    Well personal canon or not, Fin got a point here. Would you join a game fleshing out the background of two player characters from a game you´re not even in? Itz sounds a bit like you and Sinre should play this game, but hell why should I JOIN? Or would you join a game of powerful Sith fighting in ancient Korriban over power fame and might? Sounds better, does it? Having a game declared as "backstory of my character" is simply not a strong selling argument.

So I would approach it from the other side and try and make the best possible Ancient Sith game you can, using some familiar characters.

23. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Thanks Yuul. ;)

TGI, to be honest the fact Gorog/Venomis are present is essentially coincidental and would not even be mentioned... bar the fact they'd appear as characters. The pull of the game would be an Ancient Sith training/civil war scenario, and the fact it could work with the ABYVerse continuity would not be mentioned either; I merely like to pull all the pieces together whenever possible. This scenario happens to work quite well as most of the story arc of the RPG has already been plotted out, and it could involve the Rakata, the Killiks and even the Celestials.

A "Sith Trials" sort of game, with ancient Sith politics on Korriban, brutal training regimens, and battles of Sith sorcery - that would be the reason, I am hoping, players would be enticed into joining. :p

Edit: I.e. essentially what I'm saying is that this game would be, as you say, ancient Sith battling over power, fame and might. Of course I could make two new Sith characters leading ancient factions against each other in the days when Killiks were lurking around Korriban (i.e. 30,000 BBY), but it happens that Sinre and I have loosely introduced two characters doing exactly that 30,000 BBY into the ABYVerse backstory, so I thought it would be best if I utilized that.

Still, if the general consensus is to make it completely separate from anything ABYVerse, then I'll keep that in mind. ;)

24. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Keep in mind that I would be more than willing to help you out with this story. World building is something I thoroughly enjoy, and my love of the ancient sith knows no bounds... unless the chiss are involved. :p

Evil.

25. TheGoodImperial

TheGoodImperial Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2009
    My knowledge of ABYverse is superficial at best. So I can´t tell you anything about it. although the two games I was in didn´t look very connected [face_laugh] But what I emant is that the way you put it does actually make the game appear much less interesting than it is. I read ABYverse and then something like "my character and Sinre´s" and I was out. Sorry, but your character backstory wasn´t that interesting, that I would join a game to learn more.

Then I read on, and look at that. Ancient Sith! Korriban! Civil war in the time after Adas, I assume? Now THAT is something. It is not any critic towards your game, but a hint that I (and I am so arrogant to assume that others may feel the same) felt you had an excellent idea and presented it in a way it was easily dismissed.