main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ion Cannons: The plothole solution from the OT - PT? (vr2)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SaberGiiett7, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Okay before I state myself I just want to say for the record this was originally not my idea as indicated by the (vr2). :) A thread was started sometime ago discussing this idea in the Ep3 Spoilers Allowed Forum. :) I think now that this particuliar Forum is up and running it would be suitable to re-setup here. :D

One of the biggest gripes among fans and critics alike is the fluctuating types of technoligy as pertaining to the Prequel's and the original trilogy. In particular the weapons used in the final battle of AOTC using those composite bubble turrets that could be classified as the Death ray precurser, the rockets, and the advanced form of Turbolaser's equipped for the SPHA-T's, also the armor busting Hailfire missiles on and on etc.. :) Does anybody agree that Ion Cannons are the solution? Could we see the deployed use of them againest the Droid armies during Ep3? The results for the Separatist military would be devastating knowing that their force's are for the most part automated machines. Keep in mind Ion cannons disable electronic vehicles, droids, machinary etc using electro-magnetic pulse type technoligy. Given them the capaibility to destroy swaths upon swaths of Droids during battle. Maybe the armies afterwords got the idea of hooking them onto their warships and using them as ground based defensive emplacments??? If this were the case the Ion cannon would out weigh the weapons in AOTC in sheer effectivness. :)

Discuss.

<[-]> Saber

2. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I've also wondered why Ion Cannons have yet to be employed in the PT. It worked so well for the Rebels in ESB.

3. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    i think the republic under the leadership of palpatine was out to destroy the droids not capture,besides if they are just disabled then they be reused if the CIS recaptures them(since palpitines/siduos in charge this may happen),besides it just the first battle i am sure they are used after this you have to adapte to your ememys tatics,lucas may just be saving ion cannons and hyperspace streams for EP.III also.

4. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Thats a really good idea I think. GL has said the reason why droids aren't used in the OT will be explained. The ion cannon is the perfect solution, good thinking

i think the republic under the leadership of palpatine was out to destroy the droids not capture,besides if they are just disabled then they be reused if the CIS recaptures them

Once they're deactivated you can take your time in destroying them in more conventional methods. And if the ion blast is strong enough it could fry the circuitry enough to render the droid useless

5. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    This definitely is an interesting point. Considering how things turned out during the huge battle on Geonosis, you'd think ion cannons would've come into play. They didn't, which really means one of two things.

1) It hasn't been invented yet, but is being researched.

2) The research was completed under Palpatine's administration, and he's somehow keeping it under wraps to further the conflict.

I don't know which'd be closer, if any of the two, to the truth but I guess (maybe?) we'll find out.

6. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Sounds like a pretty good Idea to me. Lets see if Lucas goes ahead with it.

7. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    star insider 64:SPHA-T or the elephanttine thing that took down the trade federation sphere is modular and can be fitted with concussion missle launcer,specilized anti vehicle laser and ion cannon so ion cannons are already devloped just not in wide useage in the clone wars yet,but its still was the first battle so they would be seen very soon in varieing degrees of strentgh.

8. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Great idea! Of course that´s what´s gonna happen! Why didn´t I think of that?

9. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    I'm not sure if this is what GL has in mind - but it's a very good idea.

10. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    forceheretic i will explain my reasoning behinde this sometimes i forget to do this,the CIS recapters them since the jedi are the officers they are in charge, and would logicly be in charce of the transfer so if the droid wreckage is recaptured it makes the jedi look evan more inafective it seem like somthing darth sidious would do.

11. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    As mentioned above, I don't believe ion cannons were common during the PT. Lucas has said that the bad guys evolve in a way; you get the droids, the clones then the stormtroopers, each one better than the last. Perhaps it's the same with the weapons; the droid's lasers were normal, the clones seemed to have heavier firepower...so perhaps we'll get ion cannons in Ep3. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.