main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Del Rey Winging it?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Resolute, Mar 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    (I forget if I already posted this thread, if I did, my apologies).

I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks Del Rey is winging the NJO. I mean, writing without any idea whats going to happen next.

On the other hand, its just as likely they've got a master plan thats going to blow us away.

Which one do you believe?

2. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    i don't really care as long as it's good reading

~NiKe SKyLaRK~

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    No, they're not winging it. They've got a master plan and know well in advance what they're doing (not necessarily the details, just the major plot points). I don't know if they knew how they'd wrap it up all the way from the start, but you can rest assured that they know that by now.

4. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    They absolutely have a master plan. Do you read the interviews? They tell the authors what they can and can't do, and what must be accomplished before the end of the book.

Otherwise, Troy Denning would have killed Kyp. So very close.

5. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    Now that would have been nice.

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    But dumb in story terms

7. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Yes, what RF said.

Oh geez, I think I'm turning into ReaperFett's "yes-man."

8. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Go make me a tea, I'm thirsty :)

9. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    Now are you saying that if Kyp had died on the Worldship instead of Anakin that would have been dumb in story terms?

I believe that is what TD had in mind.

10. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Which would have cut the Jedi debate off mid-flow, and meant Kyp never paid Han back, like he started to do in DJ

11. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    Paid Han back? When did this happen? I must have missed that page. All I saw was him rubbing off on Jaina. Jag Fel saved Han from getting his ass kicked, he did a lot more than Kyp did.

12. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    They have a general outcome and idea, beside that I do belive they are "winging it"

13. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    DARK JOURNEY SPOILERS

So you missed the part where Jaina was caught in a Dovin Basal, and Kyp dived in to save her, risking his life?

END

14. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    DJ Spoiler

Thats not paying Han back, thats saving Jaina's life. Any one that was there would have done that. If Luke had done that would he be "paying Han back"? No, he would be saving Jaina.

End Spoiler

15. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    DJ SPOILERS

Kyp saving Jaina IS paying Han back. It's hs daughter. And not everyone would chase her up into space on a suicide mission, and then dive in front of a dovin basal. Shoot, defend, maybe, but not commit suicide.

END

16. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    DJ Spoiler

Han saved Kyp's life a few times during the JAT. Therefore, Kyp owes Han a few "favors." I'd say Han would consider saving his daughter's life a good start towards paying off that debt.

End Spoiler

17. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    DJ SPOILERS

JUST FOLOWING THE TREAND

END SPOILER

18. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    DJ Spoiler

Alright point conceeded I guess. I still think that any other Jedi would have done the same regardless of owing Han or not.

End

19. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    chissdude10 has the right idea. :p

20. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Resolute, to answer your opening question:

No, Del Rey is NOT winging it. The NJO story arc has been preplanned from start to finish, but that does not mean there is room for deviation, ie: Knightfall Trilogy.

21. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    very-superier...
    "Now are you saying that if Kyp had died on the Worldship instead of Anakin that would have been dumb in story terms?"

Yes, because I would have been " ?[face_plain] what the heck, how come Kyp just popped into the scene and died, when he wasn't even there on the mission and it's been Anakin doing everything and Anakin that's wounded." :p :D

22. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    He would of used the little known Jedi tactic of teleportation. The Enterprise from Star Trek stopped by when Kyp was blowing up planets and gave him the tecnology.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    "No, Del Rey is NOT winging it. The NJO story arc has been preplanned from start to finish, but that does not mean there is room for deviation, ie: Knightfall Trilogy."

Interesting point Gatherer. So why did Knightfall even almost happen, if as it seems it was a deviation that should not be possible in a preplanned arc?

I wouldn't be so irked by the antics of DR if it wasn't for the pre-NJO publicity, trumpeting a grand arc, planned in advance.

The reality seems to be New Labour Star Wars. For those not Brit: We have this party called Labour, they had a makeover to get elected. Cue New Labour. New Labour makes much promises and puts out much information, but try and get them to keep their promises and give a straight answer consistent with previous ones? Forget it.

All right, so the talk of preplanned arc, the 5HBs for a core story etc was all marketing crap. Fine! But why say other in the first place? If NJO was going to be:

'We've a reasonable planned arc but want to keep a small number of things open to a degree due to number of authors involved.'

Then why not say that instead of:

'Preplanned arc'

which for me says:

'Story is plotted out, everything is in place, the authors are hired to do their jobs and that's it'

Saying the first is honest and does not invite the kind of scrutiny that the word 'arc' invites, look at how some B5 fans can find flaws in that arc and that was highly planned out. Once the term 'arc' gets used, expectations get really raised. I don't mind DR revising the storyline, allowing authors to regig the story a la the Skycrawler rearrangement. It just conflicts with their publicity material. This just plays into the hands of anyone who wants to fry DR.

I suppose DR thought they needed something to set them apart from Bantam, thus not only a 20-book series but a preplanned one too. The 20-book element would have been enough. It had never been done, multiple authors, enough space to go into detail and not rush the plot. It would have been more than enough to distinguish DR from Bantam's stuff.

So are they winging it? No, I think not. Working under severe limitations? Yes. Doing the best with what they have? NJO: No, it had, still has even now, vast potential. (see my comment's in Vergere's thread) Prequels: Yes, COD is amongst the best of SW books.

Hint: Any Brits here get the feeling I really don't like New Labour's spin antics? ;)

Jedi Ben

24. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    The reality seems to be New Labour Star Wars. For those not Brit: We have this party called Labour, they had a makeover to get elected. Cue New Labour. New Labour makes much promises and puts out much information, but try and get them to keep their promises and give a straight answer consistent with previous ones? Forget it.

I'll now see Luke with an overly cheesy grin and Corran lashing out at protesters :)

And I don't like Labour much, but it's them or Conservatives, so I keep a bit more happy :)

25. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    I have a quote somewhere from Shelly Shapiro that says despite what everyone thinks, they have not decided who is going to live or die yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.