main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is George Lucas anti Women - your opinion please?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darth_snook, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    "Oh, bull. There has been twenty of years of change regarding the movies. That's twenty years for him to notice things he wanted to fix, twenty years for technology improve to the point where he can add things."

I've seen movies during the 1983-1997 gap from Ghostbusters to Terminator 2 to Jurrassic Park where the technology is the same as it is now which tells me that George could have made the changes to his films at any time. Why wait till he first started filming on TPM?

"Because he said so, and I see no reason to point a finger at him and call him a liar?"

Because his actions don't match with what he's been telling the fans.

"Lucas is a pretty straightforward guy. There are millions of reasons why Lucas may not done it then, the least of which being the time constraints and difficulties they ran into while filming the production. I am tired of Star Wars fans trying to use this to undermine Lucas' efforts just because they don't agree with him."

And I hate it when some fans make excuses for Lucas' lack of efforts. I'm not trying to bring the guy down but it irritates me to hear people say that Lucas planned these movies from the start when there are so many reports and documentaries that shows that he's making things up as he goes along.

"No, I'm tired of this argument because I hate arguing with self-righteous ****ers who try to make themselves out to be superior to Lucas' own knowledge of his own films."

I'm not saying that I know more about Star Wars than Lucas, I'm just saying that he needs to make up his damn mind about what these films are about and what he wanted to do with them. These films used to be about Luke but now they're about Anakin. Which is it, George?

"That still doesn't explain to me how the hell this applies to George Lucas explaining in an interview that Jedi are not celibate."

I told you, he's making things up as he goes along.

"These are all changes that were made after movies were done in order to wrap up plot ends, make continuity flow better, etc, etc."

Thank you for proving my point.

"And your point is? The father/son plot wasn't created because neither the story or the script called for it at that point."

Everyone from Lucas to the cast and crew believed that ANH wouldn't be as successful as it is now so my point is that if this were the case, then the father/son plot shouldn't have been written. Besides, Lucas never intended for Darth Vader to be Luke's father until he started writing the ESB script.

"No, fans like to call him a hypocrite so they can act self-righteous in defending beliefs that don't coincide with what he's said about his films. I have no idea why you are so arrogant to believe what *you* think somehow overturns what George Lucas - the CREATOR - says about his own films."

It's not about what I think, it's about what HE thinks because George is confusing the fans with his made-up ideas.

"I'd like to see one example of him seriously being a hypocrite here."

I already gave you some examples and there's also the fact that the scripts written for the OT was called "The adventure of Luke Skywalker" which would leave the impression that the saga was about Luke.

"Hello, reality check! It's a PG film. You can barely show sexual innuendo of the slightest degree, much less show anyone actually engaging in sex."

And yet even in a PG film, you can still show barely-dressed women from Leia in a bikini, Padme with her loin-cloth wardrobe, and those nightclub girls not to mention that female twilek(?) popping out of her outfit while trying to break free from Jabba. I'm only saying that we should see some Jedi kissing just to get a clear indication that they're not celibate because otherwise, they don't look like they even got to first base.

"Marriage is forbidden. Attachment was forbidden. Storywise, Anakin and Padme's sexual attraction to each other was compounded by their emotional connection. That is why we don't see other Jedi doing what they did."

Hence, why the Jedi are forced to be celibate because they have rules t

2. murray_powers

murray_powers Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    I don't think that he's anti-women in any way. If he was, Anakin would be in a wife-beater robe, with pasta stains all over it. Under his robe would be a Nascar shirt, and he'd have a beer can in his hand at all times. He'd have this massive mullet too. Padme would ALWAYS be pregnant, and Anakin would be all like "Woman, you better have supper waiting for me when I get home from the mill tonight!" Luke and Leia would always be running around in dirty diapers with no shirt on, and crap all over their face. They'd have like 80 broke down spaceships on cinder blocks in the front yard. They'd live in a double-wide Corellian made space trailer. I'll bet that Padme sits at home all day and watches Springer, and let's the kids run around unsupervised and break all kinds of crap. When Anakin gets home from a long day at the plant, he sits in his Lazy-Boy, cracks open a cold one, and listens to Skynard! Rock!

Actually, Leia is the exact opposite of the stereotype "damsel in distress" She actually takes charge, kills stormtroopers, and doesn't let anyone push her around. Kind of like Judge Judy with a weird hairstyle.

thanks for reading.

3. Khy82

Khy82 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2005
    hi,
    I seriously doubt GL is anti-women. the whole concet of the jedi is based on spirituallity and religion. I'm a religions studies major, and I've read several articles about the dense relation between SW and religion. from what I've read alot of the jedi comes from Sufiism, they're really heavy on spitiruality, and well.. it's alot like the jedi. anyhoo, there have been many important women in Sufiism, and other forms of mysticism, Gnosticism, and Khabala are also very open to woman followers.
    as for the homo-gay thing, i doubt the jedi would anything like that slide. and no, just cause Im a religious studies major does not make me anit gay ( although personally I'm pro hetero), but, considering that GL based his epic on spirituality, and has openly admited that he hoped his movies encouraged people to be more spiritual, I doubt homosexuality has anything to do with SW. the absence of alot of women in the Jedi has nothing to do with homo-gays. celebicy is the result of jedis being preoccupied with things other than sex. it would be interesting to see the feminine side of the jedi, however it runs a serious risk of being turned into a... well.. it runs the risk of being over sexuallized in todays society, and I doubt that's really what the jedi are about...
    I know I'm writing an essay here but this is my last point I swear:p ani got in trouble about the sex thing cause it's part of the story and cause he pledged himself to jedi. in any religion, the second you love anything other than god your ability to devote yourself( in this case the force) decreases drastically. he has to give alot himself to his love. adn part of any mysticism is to mellow out: no super highs or lows emotionally ie, girls don't help:p but for women men are no help iether. well I'll stop now, that's my bit. peace be upon you.
    khy,

4. marky_wan

marky_wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2003
    Is George Lucas anti Women?

Anti-Evil woman certainly. But generally, no.

5. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    I dont think he is. Just look at how they are portrayed, strong and fearless for the most part.

6. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I just whished he'd put more heroines into the front line. The main action is carried by Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke, Han, Chewbacca, all males. It's like Eowyn in the Lord of the Rings to me : Important, yes, but only shown for a very short time. I'm disappointed.

7. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    ^
    You are forgetting Leia. She was more of a hero than Han. She does rescue him, she has no problem handling a weapon and standing up to Tarkin. She also kills Jabba.

In the prequels we have Padme who is similiar to Leia in many ways.

8. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    That's two out of a lot of characters who are the main movers of the films. Pretty lean.

9. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    ^
    If it makes you feel any better, all the villans are men.

Can you name another film like this which shows more female heroes? They are few. The films werent made for feminists, they were made to tell a story to a wide audience. In most films Leia would have been some helpless dumb woman, the stereotypical damsel in distress. Instead Lucas chose to portray women as intelligent and powerful.

There are quite a few female Jedi in the prequels, true we know next to nothing about them, but they are women and heroes nontheless.

10. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    If it makes you feel any better, all the villans are men.

No, it doesn't make me feel any better, because a couple of those villains could have been women.

11. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    So it dosnt matter if the women are villians or heros as long as they are there?

12. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.