main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is Rian Johnson "Forced" to give Rey training and Finn force powers based on TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Shaak Ti, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Just wondering how others feel about this because it is very difficult to wrap my head around Finn keeping up with Ren if he doesn't have force powers, especially considering his growing pains wielding a Saber (mr. nobody wipes the floor with him). I know Jango does alright vs Kenobi, but he removes the lightsaber from most of the conflict and Mace dispatches him quite easily on Geonosis. I would also point out sith a VERY different from jedi in their approach to battle, one almost always trying to kill another, only when absolutely necessary, and never vs an unarmed opponent (if you think Sidious is unarmed, I question your critical thinking skills). Rey being able to fight is explainable. as she clearly has the force and fighting skills (I wonder if those two thugs are dead..), but her instant understanding of complex force powers just from a short encounter with kylo's brain would be hard to fathom..

guittarjedi and Episode Swag like this.
  2. kozikus

kozikus Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2015

Wielding a lightsaber is correlated with being a strong force user? Think about the fight between the stormtrooper and finn in Maz's castle. I think the new stormtroopers are used to fighting with weapons like stun batons or similar. So him being able to defend himself against Kylo is not that outrageous. (Kylo was also injured).

Wouldn't be suprised if he's force sensitive but i would make that connection from not the way he fought with Kylo Ren but him being able to break away from the indoctriniation of the first order.

3. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    I simply can't look at it like that. Finn was all self defence against Ren and was ultimately beaten easily. There would no film there if he simply just destroyed Finn in seconds.

4. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    In episode V, Solo also used the lightsaber to save Luke from getting frozen. That did not mean he had The Force.
    So Rey training, YES. Finn Force power: NO.

5. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    that comparison doesn't hold water for me, as that was the first time he used one, and somehow he doesn't even know what it was (i need a weapon. you have a weapon). His opponent clearly had a lot of training, and he showed zero signs of using the force during the battle. while kylo is seriously injured, Finn seemed to posit more of a challenge than Rey did prior to her revelation of the force, despite her clearer connection to the force. wielding a lightsaber is one thing, but wielding one effectively vs a force user has always been special. look at the cybernetics Grievous needs to compete. also, kylo copes with his injuries enough to cut off their escape route and battle with both, so it clearly wasn't untenable for him.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  6. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Finn Is force sensitive, there are hints in The Force Awakens.

7. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    >people comparing stun batons with Lightsabers
    [​IMG]

8. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    Han Solo did not have Force powers and somehow found a way to make himself useful. We know JJ and Rian were in communication while Rian was in Pre-production, and I'm sure anything that needed setting up for Episode 8 was accomplished. They have said as much in interviews.

9. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    He will have a mechsuit. :D

RobbyV likes this.
  10. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    I really really really hope this isn't where they are planning on going with the character.

So stupid. And another stereotypical black sci-fi trope.

Elegant Weapon and MJ-100 like this.
  11. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Finn got his tail handed to him pretty easily against a very injured Kylo Ren. Had Kylo not gotten greedy about wanting Luke's lightsaber, he would've killed Finn right at that moment as well... but he decided to pause to force grab the saber first and it cost him big-time.

No... Finn is not force sensitive. This is Kylo Ren and Rey's story... it will be them going toe to toe from here on... Finn will be going toe to toe with Phasma, not Ren.

12. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    Um, Ren IS trying his best to kill him, as that is the easiest way to get the lightsaber.. It also didn't look like an easy fight too me..
    That would be awful. Phasma may grow to be a better character, but I would have a hard time buying her as his main rival, as she is embarrassingly easy to handle in this movie. Also, he is beaten by Ren in this, so I think to give him full agency, he should battle Ren again, even if not sensitive, he could hold is own and even injure Ren already, so fits too me.

Elegant Weapon and afrojedi like this.
  13. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Yes... Ren was trying to kill him to get the lightsaber, my point was, when Finn lost it after Ren sliced up Finn's back... Ren was distracted from the final kill by trying to force grab the saber.

As for the fight... absolutely it was an easy one for Ren. Finn was doing everything he could do just to defend, and only once got a lucky glancing blow which just ticked Ren off which he then used that rage to end the fight quickly. Finn was all but a dead man from the very moment he lit that saber to face Kylo.

14. stoteh

stoteh Jedi Knight star 1

May 26, 2015
    My opinion is a simple one and I think it's what they wanted us to think. Kylo is injured during that duel after being shot by a crossbow that normally kills storm troopers and sends them back 10 feet. I think it seems obvious enough that if he were in full health he would have beat Finn very early and beat Rey (but have more difficulty than Finn because she is very strong with the force). So personally it didn't bother me at all that she won the duel and Finn managed to hold his own for a short time, that's obviously why they included Kylo becoming injured from Chewie I would think :)

Edit: sorry I went a little off topic while on my rant lol. But I definitely feel that Rey will be trained by Luke but it will take a lot of convincing because of Luke's depression, and as for Finn being force sensitive: I didn't pick up on it in this movie but that's probably because of how strong Rey is in comparison, but I don't think it's ruled out that he could be in the future in any way! I'd be ok with it, but id prefer if it were just Rey, while Finn is the comic relief growing to be a great soldier in the Resistance. The idea of Luke and Rey being the good force users and Ben and snoke being the evil just seems cool :)

15. FollowTheLight

FollowTheLight Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    EviL_eLF has it right I think - I don't see knowledge of the Force in Finn ... a conscience and a developing fondness (possibly even love) for Rey, but not Force powers. I would like to see him confront Phasma, partly because Phasma was woefully underused in TFA, but mainly because there is such obvious animosity between them. Maybe First Order troopers also get training with melee weapons, which would explain why he was able to at least make a valiant attempt at fighting Kylo.

I don't see any other realistic option other than for Rey to be trained as a Jedi - she is obviously the proverbial 'new hope' of this trilogy, with Kylo as her nemesis, as Vader was to Luke in the OT. Given her fighting style and the fact she's fought with a staff most of her life, I would love to see her with a Darth Maul double-blader when the time comes to construct her own saber ...

EviL_eLF likes this.
  16. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I think the viewers deserve an explanation. In the others movies we saw long training process and the Jedi lingered some years to become powerful and expert fighters. This movie has broken some rules and I hope they have a good reason for that. I hope we'll get some explanations in Episode 8. I think Ryan Johnson must explain the Finn and Rey points in his movie. Finn specially. It's hard to believe that a mere stormtrooper can hurt a Dark Side Warrior. Yeah, anybody can fight with a lightsaber (without the Force), but almost nobody can match an expert warrior with the Dark Side Power on him. Kylo was trained by Luke and Snoke, he must be very powerful. It's a weird thing.

17. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    You discard Finn being force sensitive, due to his performance with a lightsaber? If that is what you base it on then you missed the hints during the movie. I will give you two of them. 1) Finn never had fired a cannon, but he did very well on the Tie-Fighter and Millennium Falcon. 2) When Finn says he needs a weapon, Maz tells him he has a weapon in his hand as she is lifting his own hand to show him the lightsaber.

18. NightWalker1138

NightWalker1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    That will be a good explanation. I hope the movie will tell us that. Because Finn being Force sensitive is the only satisfying explication I find to his abilities with the lightsaber.

May the Force be with all of you ;)

Obiwan10, afrojedi and Shaak Ti like this.
  19. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    With Rey, yeah absolutely. With Finn, not so much.

20. JaporSnippet

JaporSnippet Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2005
    Finn's dad is not Force sensitive.

[​IMG]

But I hope not. We have enough coincidences already.

21. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Johnson not forced to do any thing. I personally don't care if Finn FS or not. I do want Finn character to grow and it explained how he got out of a coma though.

22. Nanosoft

Nanosoft Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 15, 2015
    It's hard to imagine him being ANYTHING cool now after the first movie.

They sabotaged this character from the start. "Sanitation". Jesus Christ.

Characters just don't go from being comedic sidekicks, to these deep, spiritual, powerful characters like Jedi's. It just doesn't happen.

Finn is going to remain the Ron Weasley of the ST. And it's a damn shame, because I thought they were trying to break down a barrier with his character, but they were only interested in doing that with Rey.

23. Shaak Ti

Dec 22, 2015
    I also really hope they touch on his PTSD and how he deals with his injuries (I was always underwhelmed with the easiness of the bacta tank for luke). Comedy is a common refrain for those dealing with huge problems, but "you know nothing about me" sounded a lot more complicated than some seem too think. Sanitation felt completely unnecesary and dumb to me aswell however, he could've simply been a construction worker in a separate part of the base.

24. Woodbine

Woodbine Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 19, 2014

I can see him getting captured by Phasma in the next episode. Rey has to leave her training to rescue him. "It's a trap!". Not complaining though because i liked Finn in TFA.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  25. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    He barely lasted even ten seconds against Ren. He's not Force-sensitive unless they make him the grandson of Mace Windu or something.