main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Is the cult of Apple losing its shine

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Dec 1, 2013.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    And yet several of my friends have replaced their iPhones with Android products and said the same! Yay for anecdotal evidence.

Ender Sai and Bacon164 like this.
  2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    yes truly it is a marvel that different people have experienced different things in life. insert higher level of sarcasm here.

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    iphone is perfect apple is purfect

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm unsure what you're complaining about. Is it just phones?

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are you one of those that has an irrational dislike toward a random company because reasons?

Only-One Cannoli likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Okay, now that I've breathed into a paper bag, yes, mostly phones, but I've also had issues with El Captain on my iMac.

The phones had faulty batteries compounded by the iOS draining the battery rapidly, (the 6s and 7+)
    the security two step verification for the Apple ID not populating in iOS 10,
    the Apple store staff making the customer feel wrong when staff broke the SIM cards in two installs on replacement phones. This resulted in 6 hours of lost time at the store.

The Mac OS software has also been atrocious since Mavericks for me. Nearly bricked my 2010 iMac 3x and the accidental upgrade to El Capitan on the replacement is buggy as hell too. I've since shut off automatic updates, especially since Apple no longer have a dedicated Mac OS programming team.

And I take issue with their hubris and arrogant peacocking when they rush product out and the customer has battery life issues, buggy operating system software and other such things. I've been using Macs since 1996 and I've never had as many problems with my Apple stuff as I have since November 2013.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My fiance's iPad (it's the 2nd generation, so it's pretty old) is stuck at 4% and won't charge any higher. The lightning bolt is next to the battery showing that is supposedly charging, but it's not. I've rebooted it and pretty much have done everything in this document. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201569

The last step is to take it to a Genius bar to see what they say. Any tips or tricks before we do that?

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Love that we're still necroposting a Beezel thread from over three years ago.

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Not like we need another apple thread though.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    2nd gen, jeez, just get a new one

yankee8255 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I replaced my 5-year-old iPad 2 with a Pro last month so I'm not much help. Mine would charge but it crashed all the time.

You can see if Genius Bar can take care of it but it might be kaput unfortunately.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  12. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I've never been an apple fan personally. I do love my iPod, but that's about the only apple product that I have or want. I work in IT and I can't name a single other IT person that I work with or know that is an apple fan.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    does Apple still sell iPods? I imagine Apple benefited from the Galaxy Note 7 handgrenade debacle.

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Yes: visit an Apple forum instead of a Star Wars forum

Vialco likes this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    as others have said, upgrading that iPad is the best shot. They just released an iPad is similar to the original iPad Air with a better processor. Not sure where you are located, but I will definitely be pulling a stealth update swap to my mom's iPad 2 some time in the next couple of months with this model.

Apple surprised the hell out of me with a complete reversal of the December mess & crappy service, gave me a solid discount on an iPhone 7+ that works better than advertised and a free case too. Most importantly, they apologized profusely for the rotten service.

So I've eaten serious humble pie and have an apology letter to Mr. Cook in the can waiting for a few days (no longer angry me wants anything bad to happen to Cook, not that I wanted anything to happen to him but I was very upset.)

And my 2013 iMac and new iPhone updated without any issues.

They stand by me and continue to. It may take some time and I may not like everything they do or say,

but apparently they learned a huge lesson after being ripped several new ones last year (and Microsoft giving them some interesting competition.)

Because today they did something even better...

I am sticking around.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So...the iPhone X.

My son and I were making jokes the other night about who the hell would want an all-glass phone. And I just heard on CNET that some people will buy it just for the animojis.

...Um, really? A thousand dollars for animojis?

I like iPhones, I'll upgrade to an 8 within the next year, just not sure what this one does to warrant that price tag.

Ghost, Master_Lok and heels1785 like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I Think the 8 also has a glass back, because it also does wireless charging.

A big chunk of the $200 difference between the 8+ and X is the Oled screen which costs Apple about $75 more.

Although the X is a silly price, I find the 8 even worse. It feels likes the 8+ is priced so high just to bump people upto the X

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wouldn't mind for there to be an all-pizza phone with tongue recognition.

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    The 8 is not worth that price, so you're wise to wait.

Think the X is waste (so they push AR with those ridiculous animoji? :rolleyes:) and ditto for the 8/8+ (which have some slight internal bumps and the wireless charging now), but the aspect that truly annoys me are the price hikes. The consumer should not have to pay for Apples' new tech (uh, maybe it wasn't a good idea to make a $5 Billion space ship HQ there...)

These price hikes including the upper tier iPad Pros, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If I still had my 6s and it worked, I'd wait until next year. I'll ride my 7+ as long as I have to (I'm getting that X price point out of the 7+ and this will be the last time time that amount on an iPhone or iPad.)

Cook may do right by me when I need Apple to step up, but I find the company bottom line to be not my cup especially after last Tuesday's price hikes. I have no desire to upgrade (for the first time in the past 3-4 years), and even more so because I do not use all the bells and whistles on my iDevices. Now, Macs are a completely different story as I use every cent I put into them. Lesson learned, cheaper iPhones, no more iPads (yeah, I know..unless there's a Mini with pencil capabilities), and the best Mac for my money.

20. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Well put it this way, my iPhone 6 is on the way out and the phones I'm looking at replacing it with are the Pixel, the S7 or the OnePlus 3T. Losing the headphone jack was the deathknell for me as far as their phones go and the fact they've got so stupidly expensive just sets it in stone.

As an aside, why do phone manufacturers hate bezels so much? Edge-to-edge screens just seem like a recipe for annoyance at the constant typos and unwanted clicks on stuff.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

Specifically it lets you get a bigger display area without having to dramatically expand the phone size (which obviously is the eternal struggle of phone design), and conventional wisdom holds that that's an unambiguous win. Wired had a pretty interesting writeup.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Why do people want super-duper 10k resolution on screens that fit in their ****ing hands? They can't possibly tell the difference. Literally. Our eyes can't see the difference. I turn my phone's resolution down to 1080p to save battery life and it looks the same.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a 6S now and my son has a 5S; they both still work. It would take a lot for me to switch to Samsung because I'm so used to Apple mobile devices but the weird changes they keep piling on, might eventually do it.

I usually get the next to the newest phone model for myself and two models back for the kids; I like to see what the complaints are on the newest model before I buy it.

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    anakinfansince1983 - if storage isn't an issue, you'd be fine with a 7 unless you like the headphone jack (I seriously miss mine on the 7+.) The only differences between the 7 and 8 are: wireless charging, new chip and more storage for more $.

My next iPhone will be the smallest one my vision can roll with. The plus is too heavy and I use the camera only when I have to etc. I wish I would have snagged an SE back in March (it has 6s tech and a headphone jack), hopefully they will update the internals and screen on the SE next year and keep the price and headphone jack. I certainly do not need the latest or greatest despite capitulating.

I recommend you avoid MacRumors' forums as they complain about everything there. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i didn't like the no headphone jack either initially (and i still have a 6s plus that has it - albeit the jack itself is a little faulty now, much like the charging slot) but really, wireless is where things are going. this is just the initial resistance to that, because we probably have other wired accessories (like my lovely sennheisers).

ill probably upgrade to the x, mainly because of the issues i currently have with both the headphone and charging jacks - although they may well be easily fixed. tbh the rest of the phone is fine for me.