main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The only logical way to bring back an Emperor figure is if the true villain was located in unknown regions and not a Sith.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Not really, plenty of Moffs and other ruthless officials in the Empire at the time of the Battle of Endor. Plenty of Admrials and other officers too.

3. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    True, but if you want an uber force user then it's not going to be a high ranking official.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Abrams and Kasdan threw out the other script and rewrote it, as i understand it that's old news. I figured it would be common knowledge around here.

Abrams and Kasdan are guns for hire. The only association they have with LFL is a check. Neither is on LFL's payroll. Therefore, they are not associated with LFL.

IMO, it could very well feature Palpatine's return from a certain point of view. Palpatine, being the puppetmastering string-puller that he was, set something into motion before he died that is only now, 30 years later, coming to fruition. (Though, if this was the case, Ian would most likely be back).

Or it could just end up being his ghost, clone, transferred consciousness, or whatever other stuff that most folks had no problem with when it was in the Legends EU and are only now shooting spitballs at. :p

Yawn. Cash grab. The scenario you mention is not one continuing narrative like the first six films are. Anything that is less isn't worth it, in my mind. If all it is is "Wonder what a bearded Luke Skywalker is up to" what's the point?

5. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Count Zero
    Actually he doesn't need to make an appearance in Ep7, even if there is a greater plan in motion.
    The original idea of the ST (way, way back when the OT was still new) was to introduce the Emperor in the 9th Episode.
    So they may very well just tell us the story with different villains, we kind of forget about Palpatine, and then in Episode 9 BAM! there he is.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    It wouldn't be hard to alter each clone's physical appearance. If they went that route. Which I doubt.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    The current rumor is about Episode VII. I'd think that it's VERY weird that Ian McD is mentioned as not being back... That makes the whole thing really weird and pretty unbelievable, frankly. But, in theory, i'd have no problem with the actual Emperor coming back.

Frankly, if it's not Palpetine i'd rather do without a bona-fide 'Emperor.' I realize that an Empire has to have an Emperor, but that doesn't mean this dude has to be the big bad. He could be an idiot for all we know, there were certainly Roman Emperors that were morons. Just some dude in the background. But if there is a major villain with that title it needs to be Palpatine.

Yeah. But it would be even awesomer (l337, even) if they just went ahead and got the real, and quite living, actor to reprise the role. I just don't see the need to get that convoluted. Why make it more complex than it needs to be? If it's Palpatine, get the guy that played him five times already?

the_sinister_hologram likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The one thing everyone seems to be neglecting is this. If Palpatine IS brought back (all fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed he ISNT) then where does it end? How do you actually destroy this thing? He exploded in a cloud of blue flame after being launched down a huge shaft next to an elevator. So what now? *cue Luke looking baffled and saying 'but weren't you? Didn't you? How the?'* *cue sinister cackling "No, son of Skywalker. I can never be truly destroyed you fool! My essence lives on in the body of this clone" *cue more cackling. Not for me I'm fraid. The Emperor/Palpatine was a big part of 1,2,3 and (the end of) 6. His arc is done.

9. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Eye of newt and a circle of salt.

In all seriousness, if it was something like that they could just come up with something in the narrative to kill him once and for all. In LOTR Sauron got throated by a big dog protecting his hot chick pal, cowed by an army of angels, sunk into the sea by GOD, got all discorporealized by some schmuck human with half a sword cutting his hand (of all things), and FINALLY gets killed for good by a deformed midget addict looking for his fix (talk about a guy with a run of bad luck). With enough creativity they can come up with just about anything and make it look cool within the narrative.

10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Or.....his arc was finished and now revived.

How is any timeless villain defeated? Sauron's evil was made dormant, but not completely destroyed. There is and always will be the threat of a return of evil.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014

I don't believe Palpatine is alive. I'm just enjoying speculating on a rumor that I think is wrong.

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    palps returning is bad enough, the fact that actor playing palps won't be Ian McDiarmid is just a travesty

Luke'sSeveredHand and Jcuk like this.
  13. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    The leader of the "Empire" does not need to be a Force user.

Who said it was "thrown out"?

That's an association.

There are dozens of ways Palpatine could return - dozens of terrible reasons to bring to life a terrible idea.

How is that a cash grab?

Shoving Palpatine into the movie is not?

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Or if the Empire has a Force-user who's content to take orders on its side.

15. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
  16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I can deal with Palps returning. I trust that they will do a good job working it out. What I would LIKE to see, at least eventually, is a small army of red lightsaber wielding Sith. That's pretty scary IMHO.

[​IMG]

ESPECIALLY considering that it would require a leader bad enough to corral these guys.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I would be OK with Palpatine returning if they are very careful about how they do it. I wish there was some way they could have Ian McDiarmid playing him. I'm not sure I would want to see him if it's not McDiarmid.

18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Exactly. Plus, we are talking about the Chosen One and his son teaming up to destroy him. If they couldn´t, how powerful need the new hero to be in order to fully destroy him?. The only thing I can think about is that if he is brought back, he might not be the ultimate evil of this ST. If you remember, the rumor says pretty clear Palpatine would return for the first two movies. Which means he probably is destroyed once and for all (hopefully) at the end of Episode VIII. I could see Luke destroying him. The apprentice taking the spot light on the final movie, probably killing Luke, and Ridley being able, somehow, to destroy the apprentice at the end of the last movie.

19. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Assuming they don't end up doing X, XI, and XII. IT NEVER ENDS!

20. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I´m starting to doubt there will be such episodes. Unless they let the ST cast to be older, or they move the action years in the future.

I kind of see more spin-offs after the ST.

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This could be said for the Sith in general if they're in the ST.

Jcuk likes this.
  22. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014

After the ST I'd like to see a trilogy set one to two thousand years before the PT. Then do another trilogy about the ST cast.

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The next trilogy will probably be set hundreds of years after the ST.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Palpatine can only be killed if his bones are buried in sacred ground.

25. Rabs

Jul 15, 2014

I'd be cool with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.