main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is there any reason at all why Naboo couldn't have been Alderaan?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Pogey, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Apparently when GL was first writing the PT it was. Why didn't he keep it that way? It would make alot more sense since Naboo isn't in the OT. Both planets are lush and green. There isn't any specific Alderaanian species so the gungans could have done just as well. I wish GL made Naboo, Alderaan :_|

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Because it wouldn't make sense for Leia's mother to be from the same planet as her adopted parents. That'd be too obvious.

3. Circle_Is_Complete

Circle_Is_Complete Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2005
    I think because it might have been too obvious of a place to hide Leia then. They get away with Tatooine I think because in all reality it probably the last place Vader wanted to go. I think having both planets be where a parent is from would have been too coincedental.

4. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Because it's a galaxy, and there happen to be more than five planets in it.

5. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    What ousley said, that would draw too much attention to Leia, if she happened to be fromt he same planet as Padme and looked just like her and when into politics and had the hots for pilots and . . .

also Alderaan was not lush and green, seemed fairly mountainous and snowy to me

6. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    I think in Stover's novel Obi-Wan said it was a good idea to have her "Hidden in Plain Sight"

Besides, do you think Vader would ever go back to Naboo/Alderaan, the homeplanet of his torment and affliction?

7. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    also Alderaan was not lush and green, seemed fairly mountainous and snowy to me

There could be multiple climates like on our planet. :p

8. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    Yeah like Tatooine, some is blazing hot rock, and some is blazing hot sand.

9. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    It occured to me that it would be possible , but I can't see why it would be necessary.

10. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I'm just thankful that we got to actually see the surface of Alderaan at all!!

11. STF

STF Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    It would've been cool in the sense that the Empire would've destroyed Palpatine's home planet in ANH.

12. Omicron5

Omicron5 Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2005
    [face_tired] If Naboo had been Alderaan, then we mightn't have seen how some star fighters were alredy astro driod-reliant. On the other hand we wouldn't have been annoyed by Jar jar bink's incomprehensible language and bad fighting skills as a general.:p

13. Sebulba_Wins

Sebulba_Wins Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    Alderaan is a fairly major world even in the movies unlike some backwater planet like Naboo. If the Trade Federation had tried to take Alderaan over everyone would've known, and the Senators would be demanding something be done because if the TF could invade Alderaan they could invade any other world as well.

14. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    But the entire point of them taking a planet hostage is that the senate won't act TOO agressively towards it; because of their lack of care over Naboo, Palpatine can get Valorum voted out of the senate. As you've said, had it been a more important/popular planet like Alderaan then there's a very big chance that Valorum/the bureaucrats could never have been convinced to delay doing anything about it.

- O_F

15. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Because it wouldn't make sense for Leia's mother to be from the same planet as her adopted parents. That'd be too obvious.

Yep, or to take Luke to his father's planet. Oh, wait a minute... ;)

In short, no, not really any reason at all, other than GL decided to do something different.

16. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, but Luke wasn't in the public spotlight. ;)

17. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Maybe George just needed a new planet.

18. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Alderaan is a fairly major world even in the movies unlike some backwater planet like Naboo.

Its never indicated in the movies that Alderaan is more important than Naboo. And if Naboo is a backwater planet, then so is Alderaan, given the fact that Alderaan has no weapons or armies.

19. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    If Naboo and Alderaan were one and the same then Alderaan would be inhabited by Gungans and then everyone would cheer in ANH when the DS blows it up! [face_laugh]

20. Sebulba_Wins

Sebulba_Wins Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    Tarkin destroys Alderaan instead of Dantooine because no one would have cared if Dantooine was destroyed while they would care if Alderaan was destroyed.

21. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    Weapons and armies aren't an indicator of a planets importance.

And what in the world makes you think they didn't have "weapons or armies"?
    You think, what, the Tantive IV was spitting at the Star Destroyer? The soldiers inside, what about them?

Alderaans defenses were as strong as any planet in the Empire, despite what the lying Leia says.

22. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    He is right they didn't have any defenses or armies but neither does Japan and there more important than... than... Turkmenistan

23. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    It would be hard to explain how a pacifist planet has N-1 starfighters and armed guards.

24. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Like others have mentioned, it would have made Leia's parentage way too obvious to Vader, Palpatine, and Leia herself. It's one thing to raise Luke on a backwater planet as a lowly moisture farmer, but raising Leia as a prominent political figure on the very same planet where Padme was also a prominent political figure might lead to people putting 2 and 2 together.

25. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    <sigh>
    And where, praytell, did you get that information from?

I guess I just imagined the gun turrets on the Tantive IV?
    And the armed soldiers, they must be figments too?

And before you bring up the inevitable "Leia said so", she lied. She lied to the Imperials everytime she opened her mouth, this is no diffrent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.