main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT you admit which movies you haven't seen that everyone else has

Discussion in 'Community' started by jacktherack, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No, I think he meant Timone and Pumbaa (or whatever they're called). But saying those two were gay is a bit of a stretch. The Hamlet comparison falls a bit flat too since the movie is nowhere near as tragic or morose and only has a few similarities to that tale.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Buddy Holly Story
    Point Break
    Piranha DD
    Lost Highway
    Black Sheep
    The Firm
    Under Siege
    A Star is Born (1973)

3. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Also, what's with people not having seen To Kill a Mockingbird? This is unusual to me.

Also, not that anyone cares, but I misspoke when I said I haven't seen any of the Indy films. I have seen The Last Crusade, but only once, years ago, and it left little enough of an impression on me that I only kind of remember the basic plot and none of the names of the non-Jones characters.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    You fail..

[face_shame_on_you]

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Hey, there are no movies more sleep-inducing than The Godfather and, particularly, Lawrence of Arabia. Ben-Hur comes close, but it was intriguing enough that I did see it through.

Another update:

The Buddy Holly Story
    Point Break
    Piranha DD
    Lost Highway
    Black Sheep
    The Firm
    A Star is Born (1973)
    The Blair Witch Project

Cleopatra
    Dr. Zhivago
    The Ten Commandments
    The Wizard of Oz
    The Sound of Music
    Mary Poppins

2001: A Space Odyssey

Dune
    Mad Max trilogy
    Tron

Edit: I came up with half the list on my own this time. How about that. :p

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't seen To Kill A Mockingbird either. I also haven't seen a lot of the "classic" movies. Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, The Ten Commandments and It's A Wonderful Life may be the only ones I have seen.

And I'll spare you my anti-Wizard of Oz rant.

ETA: I have seen Dr. Zhivago, Anna Karenina and Cleopatra.

They all just left me wondering WTF was wrong with people.

7. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I have also refused to see the latest Die Hard. I'm quite proud of that fact.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Please don't spare me. I am morbidly curious now.

But in the meantime, for your surfing pleasure...

:p

9. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    Some of you need to stop updating like this is something you're proud of. You should be ashamed, rather

jp-30, Darth_Invidious and Darth Guy like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OK. Consider yourself warned.

--Dorothy is annoying as hell. What exactly am I supposed to like, other than the good singing voice? At the beginning of the movie, she's whiny; towards the end of the movie, she's whiny about how she shouldn't have been so whiny at the beginning of the movie. Oh FFS, just shut up and figure out why the witch wants those damn shoes so badly. And how you can get her broom so that The Great and Powerful Blowhard can pretend he's taking you home.

--Aunt Em: I liked her most of the time she was on screen, but Dorothy ruined her every time she talked about her.

--the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion: shut up, shut up and shut up. Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking indeed.

--Glenda: "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" She already said she wasn't a witch, and it seems like you should be able to use that damn wand of yours or the glass ball to figure it out. Also, not telling Dorothy from the very beginning that all she had to do was click her heels together, was an ***hole move. She's a kid far from home, and you're going to use her to kill an evil witch because that's what your short friends want? Good witch, my ass.

--"I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too." Cackling and green makeup. If we're going to be so stereotypical, why not give the witch a black cat instead of having her try to steal a black dog? (Yeah, yeah, Dorothy's nightmare extending from the Kansas biking ***** trying to steal her dog.)

--Why does the Great and Powerful Blowhard have sobbing elves working for him? And why the hell hasn't he had a basic physics lesson so that he can reduce the flame in the hot air balloon and get it down?

Dorothy being annoying was the biggest issue for me, the others are much less important, but there it is.

MrZAP likes this.
  11. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    Scarface
    any Godfather movie
    The Shining
    2001: A Space Oddessy

12. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    All of the Bourne Identity movies. :p

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Movies I ought to see:
    Citizen Kane
    The Godfather
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Apocalypse Now
    Metropolis
    Lion King
    Mad Max
    Shane

Movies I don't ever plan to see:
    Titanic
    Matrix 2&3
    Die Hard 4
    Bourne
    Scarface

14. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004

Oh, I can add Scarface as well. But I saw Carlito's Way. What does that tell you? :p

I should note that I'm not against long runtimes. I sat through all of Once Upon a Time in America. That's a long movie. Not to mention Gone With the Wind, which is close to four hours. But I was bored out of my mind with The Godfather and couldn't finish it. Scarface, however, is just a coincidence that I haven't seen. I probably will see it if it airs on tv.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Christ, this everyone else person has seen a lot of movies.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I wouldn't call those "must see", either. The first one is the best, it has the tightest story and characterization of the franchise by far. The second one is good, but it's the beginning of ditching the story and characters in favor of more action (when the first one had plenty) and cheap thrills. The third one completely falls apart and just becomes a whole lot of shaky cam, gratuitous and rather uninspiring action, cartoonish characters and a romance that I felt was completely out of nowhere and just felt artificial. Astonishingly, I think the romance is actually the best part of the movie, it's the only aspect with a hint of subtlety, depth or emotion. It was Havac who summed up this movie best, ASSASSINATE EVERYONE IN A 60 MILE RADIUS. The last one, on top of being terribly flawed throughout in terms of characters, plot, setting and storytelling in general, takes the cartoon/comic book absurdity to new levels, becoming a rather stupid superhero movie in comparison to what The Bourne Identity started, a more grounded spy franchise in relative movie terms.

So yeah, each movie in the franchise is worse than the last.

The first and second are entertaining, but I don't think your life is incomplete until you watch them or anything like that.

I wouldn't consider it a tragedy or anything if someone went back in time and prevented me from ever watching them.

Heavy Isotope likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

You are aware of this invention called film which has progressed to plastic discs you can buy or rent in order to see these things we call "movies", right?

18. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Was that in response to my intent to watch Scarface if it's ever on TV? If so, you're quoting the wrong post. :p If not, meh. Some of those movies I am a little curious about and will perhaps watch, but most of them I don't care about.

19. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I've never seen Disney's Aladdin.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree that The Wizard of Oz is indeed a terrible terrible film, and in fact, Return to Oz is a vastly superior sequel in every way possible.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

In truth it was these that caught me.

The Wizard of Oz
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Dune
    Mad Max trilogy
    Tron

22. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    This is a sin... my favorite Disney Princess movie.

23. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ikr. y'all are supposed to be posting movies that almost everyone has seen, not ones that are almost everyone still has on their "too see" lists.

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fight Club
    Shrek - any of them
    Scarface
    Bourne movies - except for whatever one we watched in Hatvilla during C6

25. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Gone with the Wind...just could never get into it.