main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ivory Tower Syndrome

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    This is clearly demonstrated by the guys who always flaunt their Moderator powers and features. They are also the sort to run to the "threats" when being confronted on anything. They may wear a "hilarious" title to show how fun they are - all whilst the fact that they are more important and significant then you remains crystal clear. Also known as "David Brent" syndrome.

Yes. But nothing is as annoying (or wrong) as when a mod partakes in a discussion that's toeing the line between being locked and then gets angry when it goes overboard. When the whole time (s)he's been trying to be one of the "guys" and has been posting with the rest of us. Then the mod gets angry and shuts it down. I wonder, in these cases, do you PM yourself reprimanding yourself for your own actions? Because that's awfully confusing.

It's minor - but it's bad form. Do you want your politicans constantly reminding you that have power over you?

But mods aren't politicans (although some act like them) they're cops. The nature of the forum (with colors and titles) makes it necessary that a mod stand out.

Act as facilitators and not some e-pretorian guard. Be whiter then white.

I agree. But I don't quite grasp what you mean by a "praetorian guard". The mods aren't your buddies, they're here to make sure the place runs smoothly.

Having said that, I am sure it is better then it used to be with PB and some the nutters we've had in command spots. I stopped paying attention when I just stopped caring - A long long time ago.

Say what you want about PB, Chyren and the rest, but the place did run alot smoother when those guys were in charge. Once again, they weren't your buddies. That didn't mean you couldn't have a laugh with them, but they kept this place in line. And weren't afraid to ruffle a few feathers if they thought it would make the place run smoother.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Say what you want about PB, Chyren and the rest, but the place did run alot smoother when those guys were in charge.

No, it didn't. The tremendous amount of drama in those days, evidenced by the back pages of this forum, speaks to the contrary.

3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    And PB did eventually go insane with his power hungry delusions. And let us not forget the everlasting fun that was Lord Chewy. Great fun.

4. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    No, it didn't. The tremendous amount of drama in those days, evidenced by the back pages of this forum, speaks to the contrary.

There's always drama in Comms. It's the nature of the place. And maybe I'm looking at thepast with a pair of freaky rose-colored glasses, so I could be wrong.

EDIT: That's twice in two posts I've looked like a fool.

5. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

There's always drama in Comms. It's the nature of the place.

The amount of drama now is far less than what it once was.

And yes, DDH, Bra did go crazy at the end

DDH was referring to PreacherBoy, not Padme Bra.

6. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Yes, Preacherboy was the one who went unsane with power hungry delusions. Padme Bra never had the delusions.

7. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    Padme Bra never had the delusions.

That's what I thought. But then again, my memory ain't what it used to. But Bra was the one who complained about the mods until they actually made him one, no? Does it still work like that? ;)

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I'm interested, what was the Lord Chewy stuff all about?

9. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    I dunno. From what I've read in the old pages of this forum, there used to be quite a bit more drama and unrest. That huge thread about Lord Chewy, for example...

10. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Kind of cliff notes memory version:

PBoy was a mod, he begins dating LC, after awhile, LC beomces a mod. The first big drama was LC abusing power. She was very much a "I'm a mod, I'm better then you" type of mod. Bacially, did some small abuses of power, then came a thread that she didn't like. She didn't close it, but made her displeaure known, the thread derailed, slightly, not in a trollingkind of way, she told people to get back on subject, people didn't, she banned them for it. I believe then, Epic started a thread in Comms to question the whole escapde, and she deleted the thread. The SDA started the infamous "Thin Skinned Admins" comms thread, which should still exist inthe back pages. All of this led to LC's demotion. But, as she was still dating PB, there were times when the security of PB's account came into question, whether or not, he was letting her mod under his name at times, which brought about more fun drama.

And that's the cliff notes. There's more to things, but I don't remember all the details, and it would take awhile to type. All in all, it was a renaissance of Internet Drama.

Here it is

11. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Uff. This is most definitely not the first time I've seen a message board have problems due to a boyfriend and girlfriend having the same 'job' on it.

12. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I used HTML all the time... the forums didn't fall apart so I guess it was all right.

13. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I think part of the LC drama had to do with the fact that she'd modded under PB's name when he was a mod but she wasn't yet.

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    When I saw the title of this thread I thought Man, I guess fan fiction isn't the only plae where there is a serious user/mod comunication breakdown..

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Are the mods of your forum active members of the community? Participants and not just making appearances to 'mod around'? If so you have NO reason to complain! Well, you might but something so paltry as OMG!! THEY'RE USING HTML!!11! is REALLY reaching...

15. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    As many have said previous to me, I have no problems with mods such as QS using html here and there. I consider html to be a small perk of an otherwise thankless job. As long as it's not used excessively or in a flaunting type of way, it's perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned.

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Is this issue any different than those with FireFox being able to use the funky reply feature?

After all, it's not fair to those who can't use Mozilla.

Is it any different than someone posting in all red?

What about someone posting in all caps, because their keyboard is "broken?"

Mr44, please tell me that even while typing that you noticed your argument has a hole big enough to admit an eighteen-wheeler, or else my considerable regard for your reasoning ability will be diminished. ;) What you just posted is equivalent to saying racism is acceptable because people who choose to dress like bums also get discriminated against. There's a big difference between inequities based on things people choose for themselves and inequities based on who they innately are.

It's just the internet.

Please. You could say that about any issue relating to the management of the JC. It's just the internet and we don't get paid, so why do a good job of running the JC! Everyone knows clubs that operate over the internet are less real and less important than ones that meet IRL because they don't actually exist. lolol.

If this discussion had gone on a year or two ago, the reaction would have been totally the opposite of what it is now. Those saying "HTML doesn't matter, who cares," would have been crushed. Where oh where have the JC's intellectuals and political philosophers gone? It was the intellectuals who made the JC the great community it is today, you know, and if the apathetic permit the standards of the JC to fall because they no longer believe in justice and righteousness, I promise you will never be able to rebuild this place.

I have been saying this since the first day they gave us HTML powers and I'll keep right on saying it: there is no acceptable reason for a moderator to use this power in everyday posting. Not ever. I honestly think KW's analogy to abuse of banning power is totally relevant to this discussion. How would you react if mods periodically banned people for kicks and giggles? Or if they periodically abused the no OPPM they have and made two dozen spam posts in a thread because they thought it would be good for "community building"?

They revert to totally unreadable HTML code (see Carmen's link earlier on this page), which makes the old MS updates written in HTML by ex-mods virtually useless as an archive of policy.

HTML IMO should NEVER be used for MS updates, for that very reason... (and also for the reason that - looking at the latest update by Amos for exapmle - they're often totally unreadable even before they revert to code).

EXARCTLY. Thank you, jp. I'm glad you're still posting sometimes. I wish more of our generation would come back.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Or if they periodically abused the no OPPM they have and made two dozen spam posts in a thread because they thought it would be good for "community building"?

A significant number of people would probably laugh off what Lord Mauly Mall did almost three years ago. At the time, people were almost out for blood. Now they'd just be out for a laugh.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Aw, that silly old LMM! He wasn't bad. He was just misunderstood and needed a few hugs. :p

I remember the night he blew a gasket. I sent him a PM that said something like "Are you okay? Maybe if you get up from the computer for a little while and take some deep breaths you'll feel a little calmer." Then he sent me some PMs flaming me and saying stuff like "wHO THe heLL aRE yOU??? DId i asK YOU to TalK To me??!?!?! nO i dID not!!" But it's a hard job, so it's totally understandable if mods abuse their powers and become clinically insane sometimes, right? :p

19. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    *finds the incident in question, starts giggling helplessly* I feel for ya'll, I really do. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

20. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    "Should I not have? Probably not. However, I (like all other moderators) am only human. If I have a tool available to use in a time like that, I'm likely going to use it. It's only human."

That might sound good at first listen, but I do hope you realize that same sort of logic could be used to justify

"I'm only human. Of course I'm going to lose my temper and ban people sometimes".

... and therefore it must have a slight flaw.

[face_laugh]

21. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "But it's honestly not doing anything good for user-mod relations to flaunt your powers..."

This is a crisis! The Jedi Council must vote the Administration emergency powers! They could then approve a new policy on the use of HTML code!

22. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    I've posted my feelings on this several times in different threads :- where possible I think it's important to limit the separation between regular users and the administration. We're all just regular users too, with the responsibility of looking at the boards, editing inappropriate things out and removing posters who cause trouble.

So the answer is simple: stop editing and banning. Then you'll be just like us :)

23. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    There's always been drama here, but there were less members involved in said drama.

The forums have expanded quite a bit since I started.

That PB ordeal was entertaining, I'll give you guys that.

24. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] @ people arguing over someone using HTML. Seriousily, I thought this section was for serious discussion- not 'mommy mommy! he's got better toys than me! Waaah' etc. Too funny. Was this thread started on 1st April?

25. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    You have a right to disagree with the premise of the thread, but before you dismiss it out of hand you might take note of the fact that some of the smartest people the JC has to offer lined up behind it. It's not wise to presume oneself correct when many knowledgable people are in opposition unless one has a very good reason for believing them wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.