main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IYHO, Best DVD Creation/Authoring Software

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Animator_Steve, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animator_Steve

Animator_Steve Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2002
    Ok, I planning on (in the near future) building a Multimedia Computer. Now, I want to be able to burn dvds to watch. I've already decided what DVD Burner I'm going to get, but I want to get some opionions on different kinds of DVD Creation/Authoring Software that you, in your opinion, think is the best.

Thanks.

2. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    REELDVD, it's the software that is used to create the DVD's you buy in the store or rent. The cost is a little prohibitive though ($1000.00)

Just my 2 cents

3. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Check out the April 2002 VIDEOMAKER and the June (or July) 2002 DV MAGAZINE. Both covered this rather extensively.

4. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    The article that Semaj talked about is a very good article for this topic,

Personally I use DVD Studio Pro. Very professional, great setup/layout of the app and it results (with a little planning of course) in a great product. With DVD SP, you can create a DVD that has the same features as a DVD you would buy in the store (multiple angles, multiple audio tracks, animated menus, etc)

I have also used iDVD (although not as much) for smaller projects that didnt require a lot of attention. Very easy to use (drag and drop) but you are only capable of 90 minutes worth of video. In DVD SP Ive gotten over 3 hours of video easily with very good quality.

Both are available from Apple.

5. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    DVD Studio Pro, hands down. Again this costs $1000.

Sonic DVDit! Professional Edition would be my second choice. A few hundred less than DVD SP, but with some fewer features.

Both DVD SP and DVDit! PE have Dolby Digital 5.1 support and 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen encoding, which alone put them leaps and bounds above just about every other DVD authoring software on the planet.

6. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Nice thing about DVD Studio Pro (which is what I also use) is that you also get Dolby 5.1 AC3 audio encoding which sounds great and saves you a boatload of space which you can devote to a higher bitrate. So if you have a box that is Apple based w/ a SuperDrive, DVDSP is the way to go for complex DVD authoring.

If you are just making slapdash dvd, then iDVD2 is great. It does a max of 90 minutes (30 minutes more than the previous version).

7. Darius_C

Darius_C Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2003
    For anyone near an Apple store, I believe that you can go pick up IDVD3 now.

Personally, I think DVD SP is the best way to go, but for the novice that is just archiving some fun stuff and wants a cheap easy way of getting it done fast IDVD3 works great because it is integrated with Imovie now making it twice as fast to put out a DVD as before.

For the people stuck in their Windows machines, I've heard some good things about Dazzle from my brother. (yes, they have a DVD authoring program) If you are starting from scratch, at least take a look at what Apple has got to offer in the field of Video Authoring

8. Mushiman

Mushiman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    ReelDVD 3 - It's what i use & it supports Dolby 5.1, multi audio track & multi camera angles. Also it's not to hard to get good results....

Mushi :D

9. Animator_Steve

Animator_Steve Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks for all the replies. But, can anyone of these work on a PC? I should have been more clear, sorry. PCs are just my preferred choice.

Any replies would be great. Thanks.

10. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Anything mentioned here other than the great DVD Studio Pro and iDVD should be available for PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.