main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT J.J. Abrams Swears There Are No Midi-chlorians in The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gambit420, Aug 4, 2015.

1. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Does that mean Midi-chlorians won't be in any future sequels? What really blew me away tho is this part:

That Abrams has excluded midi-chlorians from The Force Awakens is not surprising, since the director has said he is only treating the original trilogy as canon.

I know every news article thinks it's hip to takes shots at the Prequels, but will they ignoring more Prequel parts in the new movies?

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/jj-abrams-promises-no-midi-chlorians-in-star-125851723532.html

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Eh, to me that's his right.

jerellis1 likes this.
  3. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    The midichlorians had a part to play in the PT because it helped explain why Anakin was special. If there's no part to play in the ST, then there's no reason to bring them up.

And whoever wrote that article is spewing crap out of their mouths in terms of JJ only treating the OT as canon. He said they were treating the FILMS as canon, that being episodes I-VI. This is just another hopeful, yellow journalist trying to get people to read his article (Yahoo articles are literally click bait anymore).

4. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    @joshie Do you have a quote of that? I never watched the Comic-Con Panel so I googled it. This is what JJ actually said:

"It doesn’t have to be fun all the time or ever silly, but it has to be compelling. We treated films four, five, and six, the films that I grew up with, as canon. And it’s crazy to be writing a script with Lawrence Kasdan..."

It's strange he actually spelled out 4, 5, and 6 with no mention of the others.

All_Powerful_Jedi likes this.
  5. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I remember hearing that quote before too. I'm probably more outraged with "It doesn’t have to be fun all the time". When has a Star Wars film ever not been fun? I mean, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's just saying "There will be depth". But Star Wars should ever be considered "Fun".

Andy Wylde and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  6. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    I belive JJ said "especially" IV, V, VI were treated as canon for this film. That's not the same thing as the author is suggesting.

7. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    It's actually quoted on the first page of the "Do JJ and Disney consider the PT a part of Canon" thread.

Some folks read that as, "Oh no, they're only treating 4-6 as canon", when really he said the films, which would include all 6. The "especially 4, 5 and 6" most likely just means that since Episode VII follows Return of the Jedi that they were mostly focused on that era, which makes sense.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, JJ's wording was such that his actual sentence could be interpreted to mean he doesn't consider 1-3 as canon, but I've turned to the dark side. I do think he meant that as far as 7 is concerned, he's focusing on 4-6 as canon - i.e. lead in to 7. It really was an awkwardly phrased sentence.

What made me go Sith on this is the use of "especially" - notice he didn't use "exclusively."

9. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    Stop making sense!

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Neither that article nor the comic-con panel mentioned anything about midichlorians.

11. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003
    What it really has me wondering is when Anakin eventually makes his force ghost appearance in the ST, will it be the old Anakin or Hayden voicing/playing the part?

12. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    I don't see any reason for them to be mentioned in the films anyway.

13. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    CGI Shaw with Hayden's voice.:D

only one kenobi likes this.
  14. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Midis are canon and therefore are there. They just aren't going to be mentioned because they have no part to play in the film.

15. gambit420

Oct 14, 2003

??
    That's all it talks about?

16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Another ST thread in the PT forum? Alrighty, then.

Some people might be in for a rude awakening. In the clip, note how Abrams responds:

"Does anyone ever mention midi-chlorians?"
    "In the movie?" *pause* "No."

17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Doesn't mention =/= now de-canonized.

18. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    This "Article" is using speculation to transmute "facts" by pulling so-called "facts, out of their butt! This isn't and equivalent exchange, it's making up stuff to grab clickbait from OT only fanboys!

I hope you all got my Fullmetal Alchemist references!

Just because he won't mention it doesn't mean it's not there!

Andy Wylde, MarcJordan and Cryogenic like this.
  19. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Oh my, here we go again...

Another unprofessional journalist trying, or taking pleasure, to put down the Prequel Trilogy in order to attract a lot of reader as this one: http://heroicuniverse.com/j-j-abrams-gives-the-star-wars-prequels-the-cold-shoulder/

JJ's quote was:

He has never mentionned that the PT wasn't cannon.

And concerning midi-chlorians, it doesn't bother me if it's not mentionned (only OT purists might be pleased by that I guess). It would kind of make sense since most of the Jedi knowledge about the Force dissapeared at the same time as Order 66 or was kept by the Empire after Revenge of the Sith. And according to rumors about the The Force Awakens, Luke seems to be the only Jedi left in the Galaxy.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Maybe I was looking at the wrong article, but I didn't see anything about it in the one I read. Not being sarcastic.

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    At the risk of sounding like some posters, "seems to be" is something to see if accurate or not, because it sure seems a bit head-scratching that 30 years after "pass on what you have learned" was ignored by Luke. ;)

We will see.

22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yes i saw that article this morning. also seems to stress 'only the OT are canon ' or whatever.
    the more i see that stuff the more ambivalent i feel towards the new movies.

Andy Wylde and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  23. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
    No mention of midi-chlorians???? This is the biggest slap to the face of prequel fans since Attack of the Clones failed to mention them!!!! :mad:

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    JEDI-RISING: whatever "that article" may state or imply, JJ clearly did say, "...the films - especially 4-6." He did acknowledge all films, but that 7 relies more on 4-6 which is perfectly understandable, since they precede 7 more directly.

DaddlerTheDalek and JoshieHewls like this.
  25. Sith Lord 84

Sith Lord 84 Jedi Padawan

Aug 1, 2015
    Its misleading articles like this that drive me into geek outrage.