main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams to direct and co-write Star Wars: Episode IX (see warning on page 34 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by soul8luos, Sep 12, 2017.

1. HostofJakku

HostofJakku Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2016
    What if the next trilogy starts at episode XIII-XV? And we are thrown back in the middle of a story, just like the OT. Then we get another set of prequels, episodes X-XII, and then another set of sequels, XVI-XVIII.

2. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    Because that wouldn’t confuse general audiences at all...

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Beyond the concerns of storytelling, you also have to wonder whether the primary actors of this trilogy will want to sign up for another three films in quick succession. If Rey, Finn and Poe are all alive at the end of this trilogy, will Daisy Ridley, John Boyega and Oscar Isaac want to invest another 6-7 years of doing Star Wars films so soon after Episode IX?

mlsw likes this.
  4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    If the paycheck is right, absolutely.

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Well the money isn't the question. It's the workload.

6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think that will depend on a lot of factors, chief of all being what would a follow up trilogy mean for their careers/artistic lives. Would it hurt them them by pinning them to specific characters, or help by keeping them in the lime light if their careers are otherwise tough to sustain? Would their hearts be in it or would they be doing it just for the money/career thing? And not every ST actor would necessarily be in the same position or do it:reject it for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    We need to refresh Star Wars after IX, so if I was in charg ethere would be no Episodes X, XI and XII. Instead, I would focus on a live action TV series, spin off movies and finally an Old Republic trilogy.

There are villains way more interesting than even Vader in the Old Republic. And the low-tech of the Old Republic would give it a different feel.

8. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I think they will close the Skywalker saga answering the
    questions raised by ep 1. What balance is, etc...

They may end as well or not the Skywalker bloodline.

Point is if you answer once and for all those questions your hands
    are free.

You may start another saga, SW volume II, with or without Rey and comp.
    If actors won't be willing, available... or even alive, you may still use the characters
    in novels, comics, etc...

9. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    My guess is the actors will ride this money horse as long as possible. Wouldnt you?

10. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe it would be nice to have SW move forward and leave behind the stormtroopers, the Empire vs Rebels, etc. Because the ST has been based on those very same concepts present in the OT but refreshed.

The thing is, there might be some creative minds in charge of the franchise who are afraid of doing said changes as a result of the SW movies being based on them for so long.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Give us something out there like the Yuuzhan Vong, Killiks, Abeloth, etc. Get creative with it. If we get E10 and it has another Empire-like group as the baddie, I'm going to be ticked.

Miles Lodson and 11-4D like this.
  12. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm sorry but, I am afraid those sub-par quality ideas from the EU have an important influence in the ST so similar to the OT.

Bring something new to the table, but something with quality.

13. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'd rather we got nothing that stuff like that, TBH.

A big problem here is that the Empire/FO vs Rebels/Resistance dynamic is an important part of Star Wars for a lot of people. It is for me. I mean, I like the force users, but needs me some plucky starfighter pilots shooting laser at evil space nazis. PEW! PEW! I don;t know where they go. They cannot just recreate another Empire.... I agree that would not work. I could see IX ending without the destruction of the First Order... at least within the Unknown Regions. I'm still hoping that IX ends with Kylo retreating to the UR as the new Supreme Leader, waiting for he chance to strike.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Kylo escaping into the UR and finding a Dark Side/Sith Cult, some UR region terror to take control of, or some hidden cache of droids,

Or just have a new group rise up entirely that threaten the galaxy. And give us engaging people to hate. Kylo is interesting but the rest? Yawn. Don't care.

Blastaar likes this.
  15. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    So, the first reviews for Justice League (co-written by Chris Terrio) are coming in, and they are... not flattering.

Definitely not time to worry yet, but for those of us rooting for Terrio to knock it out of the park with the script for Ep. IX, this is disappointing.

LadySithLord and Darth Smurf like this.
  16. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    And really, I think the character of Rey is the only one that needs to be doing any heavy lifting screentime wise in Eps 10-12. I see Finn and Poe and Luke as very much side supporting characters if the story moves forward, to make room for new younger heroes (probably jedi) that Rey leads. Really, an Ep 10 without Finn would be interesting, and then he returns swooping in to help Rey at some point in Ep 11, for instance. Luke could die at the end of 10, becoming one with the Force like Yoda. Isaac can be a key background player like Mon Mothma, he's there for the big battles in the Leia role, but he isn't off on the main adventures.

Why wouldn't Boyega and Isaac want to work for a few weeks on SW every couple of years?

I think even Hamill will relish a turn to make brief cameos for another three movies, 1-2 scenes per film and 3-5 days of shooting, as the wise jedi master or a force ghost talking to Rey.O:)

17. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Don't blame Terrio, blame Snyder.

Axrendale likes this.
  18. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    This is true, last I heard they cut 45 minutes out of that film....so yeah...writer only can do so much.

Axrendale likes this.
  19. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I still don't understand why he was chosen. Did he pitch J.J something?

Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    No one can fix the incredibly faulty foundation of the current DCEU. Terrio is not to blame.

21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

[face_plain]

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Edit: oh. Wrong place.

J J. Lovely guy. Nice suit. Nice glasses. Nice haircut.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  23. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I mean, we don't know the internal talks TPTB have when they vet people. Chris Weitz and Gary Whitta (American Pie and After Earth, ugh) were involved in R1 and it turned out well in the end. So it could go either way. But as they say in sports, you're only as good as your latest game, and Terrio has two misses in a row.

24. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    This is a true statement, but those two misses were both in the DCEU which seems to me to have been very studio controlled. One can only do so much when you're not just writing a story but have to appease multiple people trying to check off different boxes. If there is a reason to be concerned, its that both the DCEU and Star Wars are both tentpole franchises with some level of studio control. However, at least in my opinion, I feel the studio control with Star Wars so far as either not damaged or perhaps even helped the movies that have come out so far.

25. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    JJ Abrams is a very good shooter but his writing is mediocre at best. He is something of a hack, imo.