main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jagged Fel vs Kyp Durron

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BigSllim, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The guy is the author of destiny's way, he said in the authors page...

(Walter John Williams, sorry)

In the authors and artists thread on page 14

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=5816776&page=14

The poster "WalterJohn" which is listed in red posted this (among other HEAVY spoilers)

[So far as I can tell, the Jaina/Jag/Kyp thing was something that came from nowhere. It got improvised by earlier authors, and now the rest of us have to deal with it. Certainly there was no romance arc that came down from Del Rey, and I haven't seen any of this in anyone's outline. That may account for the rather erratic quality of the subplot.

So I guess what I'm saying is that =no one= knows how it's going to turn out. I don't know whether you guys will find that comforting or not.]

2. Ebonn101

Ebonn101 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2002
    Kyp Durron would turn Jagged Fel to space dust, no matter what the contest.

3. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    People, his name is Walter Jon Williams! GET IT RIGHT! And he did not say anything specific about the NJO just being about Jaina/Jag. I read that post he made too, and he just stated that the Jaina/Jag/Kyp thing was something that earlier authors came up with and now he has to deal with it. :p Nothing about what we've been discussing in here.

Jae Angel

4. SWMara

SWMara Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    So Stackpole planned a straight-forward romance with Jag? Another proof for his originality... [face_plain]
    I'm glad other authors didn't follow his ideas.

Narundi, I do believe fans have something to do with the triangle. It was started by Greg Keyes and since many liked this turn DelRey or the other authors didn't let it die. I don't see why that's unprofessional. It's not like they are only writing what the fans want them to. And I think there are more K/J fans then you realize... The JC Fanfic Forum is not the whole NJO fandom.

5. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jaina_Solo_Durron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    in my opinion, jag was introduced as not much more than a possible *and now confirmed* love interest for jaina. on the other hand, kyp was introduced as an actual, functioning character with a purpose.

besides, kyp's character is more developed than jag's - we know, for example, that kyp actually feels emotions unlike Jag.

my rant. :D

-JSD

6. Avalon69

Avalon69 Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2001
    That's my whole problem with Jag. He was introduced solely to be a boyfriend for Jaina. The NJO would not be different if he had never been created.
    Actually I think Jaina is too young emotionally for Kyp.

Now I wouldn't want Jaina and Kyp together. Kyp has a rather volatile personality, and so does Jaina. So how bad would their arguments be?? And neither one would ever admit they were wrong. 8-}

Kyp/Jaina is interesting to think about . . . and if Kyp was a main character he would be safe from authors trying to kill him . . . That's all I want! :(

;)

7. Revived_AnakinSolo

Revived_AnakinSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2002
    Avalon~ Being a main character is no longer a protection when it comes to death unfortunately

I am saddened that Jag has not yet had much character development...he is indeed Jaina's love interest. If he were a serious one though, i think there would be more light shed onto his character. Im not a fan of Kyp and Jaina, but some feeling of emotional attachment from one person to another would be nice. Were starting to see that when Jaina thinks how much she misses Jag, but Jag has yet to think, and all Kyp has been thinking is how to be a better Jedi, and why he's jealous over something he doesnt really want.

If Jag were to be created for Jaina, then i doubt that Kyp will take his place, and we would have yet another person in EU limbo

8. Skylark

Skylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    (scratches head in thought)

Have I posted here before?????

I dunno, I've posted in sooo many Kyp-Jag-Jaina threads that I can't remember which ones I've been to before....huh....I can't remember.....

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Actually I don't think Jaina will be with either of them.

Walter John Williams established that Jaina was the Sword fo the Jedi and their ultimate warrior.

While she may have a companion/lover/even husband

They'd have to be as cursed as she

10. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    They'd have to be as cursed as she

Or they'd have to be just plain stupid. :p

But I am guessing that it'll still be Jag in the end. Yes, she might not end up with either of them (which is what I am hoping for) but unless Jag gets killed it would take a little too much characterization/development for such a major character change by the authors.

The relationship is an easy thing for authors to write. And I am guessing they would not write a break-up scene unless forced to.

IMHO, of course. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.