main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC]Why can't there be 2 Survivor threads?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by wild_karrde, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Hey, I just made a HTR thread for Smallville We needed one. Go lock the old spoiler-free thread, would ya?

EDIT: Why'd you lock my thread? It was needed!

2. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I gotta say, I've never watched a minute of Survivor since it began. Still, if you think people in the thread are going to forgive a person's mark-up error or complete lack thereof, especially if it gives away the ending early on (as w_k mentioned before, he found out the final two before the season even started) then be prepared to read a ton of angry PMs. Maybe you all don't realize that once you're spoiled, you're spoiled for good. I avoid 3SA like the plague, and won't even look at any of the 3SA post titles if I'm looking through a spoiled user's posts.

I would hope that nobody in the mod squad would view me as stupid for not wanting to be spoiled on Star Wars. How is it any different if I don't want to be spoiled for a season of the Sopranos? Am I suddenly stupid for wanting to remain spoiler free for that show because it's not Star Wars? Wouldn't it be a better policy for the people in a thread about a show you DON'T CARE ABOUT to decide their own spoiler policy?

My advice to the Survivor thread people: Please, just post right after the first post that it's really a non-spoiler thread. They don't have to MAKE you allow spoilers just because of some silly policy. People who want spoilers can just go somewhere else, like the MANY sites online that are probably dedicated to this topic. I'm sure most survivor-based sites and message boards are spoiler-based. Why not allow the users here a sanctuary from spoilers? It seems like a no-brainer for me, and the only reason why they're not allowed to do it is because a few people in MS decided to throw their weight around. [face_plain]

Oh, and Wes, please don't respond to this post with "Great point, NJ". That sort of post shouldn't be your only contribution to this thread. Speak your peace and then leave.

Jae Angel

3. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Ok apparently Dashy likes to contradict himself. He locked the Smallville highlight to read thread?

Care to explain? If you really wanted to have a single rule why didn't you lock the non-spoiler thread?

I would love to hear you explain without making yourself look stupid.

4. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Actualy NJ, Ill explain why I agree with you.

For E3, I like spoilers, since so much is allready known (like Anikan becomes Vader, Palps is Sidous, Amzing huh ?)

But for other shows, ones being aired in a chronological order, a single spoiler could ruin the entire show for you if you know someone dies. Dashy, if your job is (in small part) to make JCC an enjoyable place, then FORCING them to have nothjing but a HTR thread is putting them at great risk for being spoiled.

Its ran fine being non-spoiler for a while, why suddently force them to put up with spoilers ?

5. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    The biggest problem that I have with this is the lack of communication.

You decided that the new policy was HTR. It was never said. In fact, it was so confused, that Dagsy edited spoilers out of the thread, and then went back and said spoilers were okay in an HTR capacity. And that's when the policy became definite, but you made it apply to a thread that had started BEFORE the policy became definite.

If a thread had been posted or some annoucement had been made in the MS updates about the new policy being HTR, then there wouldn't be nearly that much uproar. But the problem is that you decided that this was the new policy, and you made it apply to an old thread. And only some of the old threads, not all of them.

Can I get some explanation about this by a YJCC mod? Why were spoilers edited out if the policy was HTR? And if the policy wasn't HTR, why didn't you make the annoucment once the policy went into effect, and why did you make it apply to some of the pre-existing threads, but not others?

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Its ran fine being non-spoiler for a while, why suddently force them to put up with spoilers ?

Simple - he doesn't care. None of the mods seem to care (excpet Katya, who PMed me before the decision was made, and I appreciate that). All the mods care about is having one less thread to look in on, even though they never looked in on the Survivor threads before because none of them knew it was always non-spoiler.

Let me ask you something: If I had made only one Survivor thread and we kept updating it for each seasom for the past 4 years, would you have locked it or forced it to change? Am I just being punished because I started a new thread every season instead of using the same one? Honestly though, what's the difference between one old thread for each season and a new thread each season?

7. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I promised myself that I wouldn't get into this drama...but I felt compelled to say something...

Though I generally find myself talking to....well....myself in the Survivor threads, I must agree: This ruling is lame. Highlight-to-read isn't the way to go...because...as someone else said...all that it takes is one overly-exuberant-not-paying-attention-to-the-thread-poster to come-in and exclaim "So-and-so is the winner!!!" or "So-and-so won Immunity!" before those of us on the other coasts get a chance to see it. I distinctly remember this happening during the second-to-last Immunity challenge during "Pearl Islands", and it totally pissed me off.

Also, the bolded disclaimer in the first post...that'll be ignored once it gets to the second page. Most folks don't check the first post...hell...most folks don't even check the most recent post on a page...before posting. They just up and post. The whole policy will get lost in the shuffle, I assure you...and one person'll pop-in and destroy the season for us die-hards who don't want to know what happens until it happens.

I think it would be prudent to have two threads: A Non-Spoiler & Spoiler Thread. It would literally save alot of headaches, I think. Not having headaches are a good thing...especially those of the manufactured variety. Truth be told, you guys kinda put this headache onto yourself (it wasn't broke...it was pristine, in-fact...and you all tried to fix it). ;)

If the new thread is going to be spoiler-riddled (and most-likely a good percentage of them will not be blacked-out due to the reason I just mentioned), I have absolutely no desire to discuss Survivor on these boards, anymore. And don't give me that "It's a SW board!" crap...it's talked about in JCC Community...where you can discuss all things NOT SW.

And I think the closing of the All-Stars Thread just smacks of arrogance and weight-tossing. [face_plain]

8. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    These rules are currently in effect and should appy to all threads created today and in the future.

Then wht close my Smallville thread? Seriously line-guy, you're contradicting yourself all over the place! You do know that if you just give us a non-spoiler thread we'll all shut up and leave you guys alone, right? It's just that simple. I don't care about other threads, because I only come to the JCC for a handful of threads. All I want is my thread back, and I won't bug you any more.

Oh, and why was the S9 thread made the official thread for all Survivors? Why can't we use existing threads? And what happens when S10 is announced? Will we still have to post in the S9 thread? If so, why couldn't we keep posting in the S8 thread like we all wanted to?

There's lots of unanswered questions here, and by not answering them you're not making youself look very good.

9. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    As I've stated before, if a new Smallville discussion thread were created today then the same rules would apply to it. The thread would be HTR and follow the same standards we hold in reguards to the new Survivor 9 thread. However, there is no need for a new Smallville thread, and thus it shall remain how it is until a new one must be created.

Edit: If previous non-spoiler threads for other subjects remain open while a new thread exists, I would be more than happy to lock those. It is common rule that all old threads should be locked when a new, official one is created.

This was quoted directly from Dashy, Lets see a new smallville thread was created, a previous non spoiler thread existed. What happened? The new thread was locked in favour of the non-spoiler thread?

It would be so nice if you didn't contradict yourself and purposfully piss people off.

10. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    So wait, every single thread created about a TV show, movie, or whatever now has to be HTR? I'm afaraid I'm going to request that that be posted on the JCC so you can see what sort of a reaction it gets.

Then again, since that means that someone might disagree with a decision the high and mighty modsquad has made, I doubt I'll be seeing that any time soon.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I suggest the moderators reconsider the rule(s), and I suspect a couple JCC moderators will do at least that.

Remember that rules are made for the benefit of the membership. If they ever become harmful or counterproductive, it's time to reconsider them.

12. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Just incase Dashy decides to make Comms HTR, Ill start posting HTR posts.

13. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I suggest the moderators reconsider the rule(s), and I suspect a couple JCC moderators will do at least that.

Remember that rules are made for the benefit of the membership. If they ever become harmful or counterproductive, it's time to reconsider them.

That's what I've been trying to say, though I'm so pissed off that it might not be coming out right.

The rules are in place to make the JCC a better place for people to post in. This rule that you have just made up today (and yes, it is a completely new rule that was not in existance before today) is a rule that does not make the JCC a better place. Therefore it is a bad rule.

14. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    The things that are being complained about can happen in a non-spoiler thread just as easily as a HTR thread. Didn't your initial Survivor 9 thread have "no-spoilers" in the title wk? Did people still post spoilers right out in the open? Yes, because no matter what the title of the thread is, people can still post things like that, whether by mistake or not. It happens.

Perhaps there needs to be a sticky thread about spoilers in the JCC that lays out these rules since they apply to not just one thread, but all threads of this nature.

15. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Think is though, if the title of the thread clearly states "no spoilers" then the odds of someone posting a spoiler go down by a lot. If it is a HTR thread, then eventually people will start not caring and post spoilers out in the open. I've been here for almost 5 years and I see it happen all the time.

Also, no major spoilers were posted in the S8 thread, that I can recall. I myself knew all the spoilers for S8 before the first show aired (damn you AICN!) but I still wanted a non-spoiler thread.

EDIT: Mis-read S9 as S8. In the case of the S9 thread, those that posted spoilers had them edited and were warned. If they were dumb ebough to do it again they'd have been banned.

16. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    Shouldnt the threads spoiler status be up to the person who makes it ?

The spoiler policy should be common sense.

If the thread is made as a no spoiler thread, then its no spoiler.

If its made as a HTR spoilers allowed, then its HTR spoilers allowed, and if its spoilers allowed, then theyre allowed.

17. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Up until today, that is how it was. If an author of a thread wanted a thread to discuss a movie, TV show, whatever, without being spoiled he'd add a warning in the title, or PM a mod to get them to edit the title. I myself have done this probably a hundred times in the last 5 years. But suddenly, today, for no reason, all threads now have to be HTR, unless they were created before today by someone other than me.

18. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    And the same thing would happen in the current S9 thread. That's what I mean about a no-spoiler vs HTR being no different.

I'll tell you this wk. I want a thread I can read without spoilers in it as much as you do. But there are also times when I might want to read a spoiler that someone posts. If someone posts that and I (or anyone) chooses to read it, that's our choice. With a no-spoiler thread, that choice is taken away. And another thread would be pretty pointless, since you'd have the same conversations going on in two places (hence the redundancy argument).

I just feel that s HRT policy opens the thread up to a larger community of people who want to talk about Survivor. And I think that's a good thing.

19. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I just feel that s HRT policy opens the thread up to a larger community of people who want to talk about Survivor. And I think that's a good thing.

You are obviously wrong, because most people from the old Survivor threads have already stated that they will not post in a spoiler thread.

And I have no idea why you are being so hard about this. What's wrong with 2 threads? If you want to discuss a spoiler go to the spoiler thread. If not, go to the other thread. What's the big deal? It's worked just fine for 4 years, why not now?

20. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I'll tell you this wk. I want a thread I can read without spoilers in it as much as you do. But there are also times when I might want to read a spoiler that someone posts. If someone posts that and I (or anyone) chooses to read it, that's our choice. With a no-spoiler thread, that choice is taken away. And another thread would be pretty pointless, since you'd have the same conversations going on in two places (hence the redundancy argument).

Then let him have his no-spoiler thread and those who want spoilers can get their butts over to that wonderful site in the sky called Google and google search for spoilers. IF you REALLY want to read them. [face_plain]

Jae Angel

ED: Why can't I type today? It must be the cold. :(

21. Wes_Janson

Mar 17, 2004
    w_k, well have to wait for _-_-_-_-_ to post to know why, and with his record on explaining (not much better than PhilipWise's) we might be waiting a while.

EDIT

Cold ? Hope ya get better NJ.

22. Tobey-Wan

Jun 12, 2001
    And I have no idea why you are being so hard about this.

Excuse me, but who has probably 1/2 of the posts in this thread? Who has continually said "I want my thread back"?

I'll also point out that the Survivor 9 thread with the new policy in place is doing just fine. In fact, there have been absolutely no spoiler posts made at all.

23. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    In fact, there have been absolutely no spoiler posts made at all.

Kind of hard tp post spoilers when it hasn't been filmed yet, and won't be for another couple of months [face_plain]

24. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Seeing as how my other Smallville thread was locked with no reason given and it wasn't against any rules, I am assuming it was a mistake, so I have started a new one here :)

25. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    -_-_-_-_-_- hasn't replied to anything because he's logged off. Way to take freebie shots guys. [face_plain]

Weak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.