main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi and sex

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Sidious143, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Sidious143

Darth_Sidious143 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2003
    I was just wondering since the Jedi are not allowed to marry, are they allowed to give in to there "urges" (obviously since the majority of Jedi are Humans) and have sex? I think they are because (no joke) sex is an essencial is a persons life as is air or water (according to psychological studies). But then again, this could potencially be distracting. So what do Jedi do?

Please be mature when responding.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I look at the old Jedi Order as a society of celibate monks. I would imagine they spend all their time training and contemplating the Force. That's their one main drive in life. Of course, this all changed when Anakin and Padme got married. The EU has expanded on this with Leia and Luke having children.

3. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Hmmm I don't know. I think the Jedi try and snatch the kids at an early age and drive and 'impure' thoughts out of them.
    And give the male to female ratio of Jedi things would just get too distracting.

4. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I think it has been said that some Jedi could have casual sex as long as they didn't have any permanent attachments.

Ki-Adi Bundi could also have a wife, as his species had some problems with sustaining the population.

5. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I don't think it was as forbidden as the AOTC showed it. It may of been forbidden to all jedi to be married but i believe that the jedi got around, they just couldn't be married.

Axl.

6. seizetsu

seizetsu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2003
    I will now be reffering to EU. As the rules of this newly opened board states, this is a speculation, not a fact:

In the book "Rogue Planet" Anakin, being eleven years old, has attended an illeagal racing competition in the lower levels of Coruscant and is brought before the council.
    The question of Children is raised and Thracia, one of the knights says this, concerning Yoda:

"That big-eared tree stump knows nothing about human children. And for that matter, neither do you, Mace! You've never married. I have. I have many sons and daughters on many different worlds. Sometimes I think you should all take a break, as I did, and sniff the free air, see how the force manifests in everyday life, rather than mope around here swinging lightsabers."

So, if we are to believe this book, which is pretty much up to everyone to decide for themselves, Jedi's may have sex, just as long as it doesn't get in the way of their duties. However it would appear that many a Jedi chose not to have sex, possibly because they are uncertain as to if they can control it.

At lest that is my view of Jedis and sex :)

7. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    The EU has expanded on this with Leia and Luke having children

Not together I hope :p

I always assumed Jedi can have sex but just not get attached to the other person. It would be pretty sad if Yoda was a 900 year old virgin.

8. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    This is my IMHO response to a similar question on many other threads.

Yes, they 'do it'. They're monks of a philosophical order, not saints. Otherwise it would be very difficult for the humans at least to stay away from 'forbidden fruit'. In this way they get everything out of the way and into their experience so they're not blindsided in the outside world.

No, they don't form attachments.

Is it necessarily a use and dump? Uh, excuse me, no. My theory is that they take care of themselves among themselves. It's easier to do something like this with someone who feels the same way about the issue and will stay friends with you afterwards (compassion) and not overreact to the act, than finding a 'civilian' somewhere who may or may not take things way out of their original intent, or worse.

Passing along the 'genes' isn't important as the families the Jedi were from carry the gene as well and likely had other children (it's not likely a couple would give up their only child). Midichlorians were something everyone had, the Force users just had them in a greater quantity.

9. Xenobi

Xenobi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I think that the reason there was chosen one was to destroy the old Jedi Order which had many problems like not allowing for sex
    which explains that Anakin was chosen to destroy the old jedi order too

10. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Out of all the species in the galaxy, I'm sure only a very small portion of them are human males. For all we know other species might not even have the same type of... thoughts... about such things. As for the few human men in the Jedi Order, it would explain why all of the ones we've seen (Mace, Dooku, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin) are, in one way or another, more rebellious then most Jedi are.

11. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I've always been under the impression that Jedi were expected to forego both sex and love in service of the Force. I thought they'd view sex as an emotional attachment, not something they should be actively looking for if they want to lives as undistracted as possible by everything except the Force.

IMO, the reason Jedi hopefuls are removed from their families so early is to give them the best chance at learning how to act as emotionlessly as possible.

The fact that Anakin was removed from his mother so late in life (with all the whole "he is too old" debate) is pretty much the reason he has so many issues with being loved and being passionate. He's the one who gets married, he's the one who breaks the code( "I thought Jedi were forbidden to love" - Padme).

Am I incorrect in the assumption that at the end of AotC, the Jedi Masters don't know that he's getting married to Padme? ?[face_plain]

12. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think they have a hunch. Yoda seems to be really in tune with Anakin's thoughts.

13. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Yes at first, but they became suspicious when Anakin's comlink responded with:

Hi, you've reached Anakin and Padme Skywalker...we're not here to take you're call right now. But, if you leave your name...number...and a brief message after the beep...we'll get back to you as soon as possible!

I think part of making that commitment to the jedi order, that Obi-Wan spoke of, means giving any sort of physical relationships. Learning to control those natural urges (including the desire for sex), is part of the mental training jedi go through. Notice how much emphasis Qui-Gon was stressing to Anakin about the deision to become a jedi: Even if you succeed, it's a hard life...a jedi gives up many things, in pursuit of a higher purpose.

Now, given the near extinction of the jedi by the time of NJO...it's understandable why many of the force-sensitve individuals have had children together. The thing I liked is that Vergere (after meeting the current jedi) expressed her displeasure at the idea of jedi marriage and children. But they had no guide to follow, plus it helps ensure the jedi survival.

14. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Can you imagine what the foreplay would be like? If any of you remember Chevy Chase in "Modern Problems", you'll know what I'm talking about [face_laugh]

Okay..back on topic now

15. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    In the future, if you have nothing to contribute to this discussion please don't post here.

[face_plain]

16. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I would think they would be able o have sex. Where else would the force sensitive children come from. Also, Qui-Gon's line in TPM to Shmi "Who was his father?" could mean that maybe his father was antoher jedi.

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Not a Chevy Chase fun, huh? Your loss ;)

As far as the AOTC goes, only the priest, R2 and 3PO know of Anakin's wedding.

From the SW website
    There, at a secluded lake retreat, the two were secretly wed by a Naboo holyman in a ceremony witnessed only by C-3PO and R2-D2.

Hence the thread "How does The Jedi Council find out about Anakin's Wedding." I personally believe 3PO lets it slip out, but the "answering machine" theory has a nice ring (get it?....nevermind :( )

Funny thing is, I swear I saw something there not too long ago that said something about Padme being Anakin's lover. It really made me wonder if they had really married or not. I'll have to find it again.

"Where else would the force sensitive children come from. Also, Qui-Gon's line in TPM to Shmi "Who was his father?" could mean that maybe his father was antoher jedi."

Force-sensitive bastard children? Naw, the Force is in everyone, just more so in others. It's not necessarily genetic, though EU apparently has a different viewpoint ("I, Jedi", for example.)

Besides, Shmi claims he came from nowhere, which apparently fits into the Prophecy.

(How's that for contributing! :p )

[EDIT] Found the "lover" quote. It was under Bail Organa.

When Kenobi's apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, succumbed to the dark side, Kenobi sent Skywalker's lover, Padmé Amidala, to Organa for hiding. Amidala hid one of her twin offspring in the high court of Alderaan, and this child, Leia Organa, was adopted into the Royal Family.

What's up with that? Why not use the term "wife"?

18. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    Seems strange for them not to say wife-but I'm pretty sure Lucas wanted us to know they were married.

19. alex_

alex_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    Okay, first I want to point out that I strongly, passionately hate DarthAttorney!

On topic: I once posted a transcript of an interview with George Lucas (from the Internet Movie Database). It is no longer in the thread-archive though. But in this interview George Lucas clearly stated that the Jedi can have sex. The interview was even titled: "'Jedi can have sex' says Lucas".
    A lot of people asked about it at the time. George Lucas said that the Jedi are not allowed to become obsessed with one person, because that would distract from their duty to serve every being who is in need of help. But they can indeed have sex, as long as it doesn't lead to a distracting obsessive relationship. Anakin even said in AOTC that the Jedi are "encouraged to love". What he didn't get was that an obsession towards one single person leads to the mentioned distraction regarding everyone else.
    And that's not the way of the Jedi. (It's not the way of the Samurai either, and the Samurai were indeed allowed to marry).
    Conclusion: Yes, sex is fine and okay. It is allowed in Bushido (the way of the Samurai) and it is allowed by the Jedi order.

20. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    IMO Giving in to these "urges" would be against what the jedi stand for. I don't care what psychological tests show, you CAN live without it even if in our world there's no reason why not to at some point in every person's life

But the Jedi are different. Giving into themselves would undermine their training, go against the self control that they are taught from birth. If you can't control yourself in that part of your life then you can and will in others. If it's ok for them to give in to one emotion/urge or whatever you wanna call it is ok, then why not anger/hate or love

Jedi, with the power they have and potential for greatness and evil, must always be in control of themselves, otherwise it would open the path for the dark-side by giving in to emotions

IMO at least

21. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    While it seems that it's not expressly forbidden, I'm sure we can all think of reasons why it should be forbidden.

22. alex_

alex_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2002
    @ForceHeretic: Did you miss my post above yours? That wasn't about my vision of Star Wars, it was about George Lucas' vision.
    (If you have your own vision, that's okay, no offense intended).
    George Lucas clearly stated that the Jedi are allowed to have sex.
    And by the way, the Japanese Samurai were extremely effective when it came to fulfill their duty. The fact that they were even allowed to marry and produce offspring wasn't a real distraction for them. Everything else was already explained in my previous post above yours.

23. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    ForceHeretic: Did you miss my post above yours?

Actually I did lol

Sorry

24. anakinforever

anakinforever Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    "Attachment is forbidden , POSSESSION is forbiden, compassion which I would define as unconditionnal love, is central to a jedi's life"....
    I understand possession as sex in this sentence.

25. DarthZchour

DarthZchour Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    Sex is not forbidden!

What do you think Yoda did with his padawans when he needed to practice with his 'lightsaber'?

He did not become that good playing with only himself!!

Mod Edit: Funny stuff. 48hrs for your trouble [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.