main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

jedi jewellery

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Angel_of_Sith, May 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel_of_Sith

Angel_of_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2002
    do jedi wear jewellery, necklaces, rings, braclets, and the like?

if so, has anyone got any pics, links, or anyinformation about it?

2. Marianne_Solav

Marianne_Solav Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    I know that in 'The approaching storm' Bariss Offee looks at jewellery (bracelets I think) and wants to buy some but doesn't 'cause 'Jedi craves not these things' or whatever! Maybe because they consider it vain or something, I don't remember.
    I think that they don't really wear any, at least not in the prequel era but I could be wrong.

3. Diva_Shaliqua

Diva_Shaliqua Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2002
    I've been thinking about that because I always wear earrings & I'd like to wear earrings with my Barriss Offee costume but I doubt she wears any..

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, take into consideration a Jedi's cultural background. If his/her culture does something with jewelry that's a tradition, then yes, they probably wear it.

As for just wanting to wear your own jewelry, why not? Each Jedi is individual, and the impression I've gotten is that they can pretty much wear whatever they want once they're out of the Padawan stage.

kreleia ^.^

5. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Actually it's the from the Padawan stage onward: "The tunics, robes, and cloaks worn by Jedi are honored traditions, but not uniforms. From the time they become Padawans, Jedi are free to dress as they choose." (What exact page in the Visual Dictionary that's on, I don't remember, 'cept that it's one of the Anakin ones.)

*shrug* Since we know there are Jedi with tattoos (Luminaria and Barriss), why not jewelry? If you feel that you need a specific reason, you can always make up a history for that piece: it's been in your family for generations, it was a gift given by [fill in the blank] for a mission you completed for said person, etc.

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    But bear in mind the traditional reason that jewellry is discouraged in combat... earrings can be torn out of ears causing injury, necklaces used to choke, etc. Not to mention that if you're trying to move stealthily and avoid attracting attention, a gleam of light on metal or gems can give you away.

I'd say use it if you want but be discreet and don't go for hoops or dangles if you're doing earrings. :)

7. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    What if you're a Jedi that doesn't participate in combat regularly? But more of a political mediator? Wouldn't it help to look nicer and more professional if you did wear something jewlry like? The people you have to work with may be unconciously influenced by that kind of thing...

Just a thought

8. jedi_1966

jedi_1966 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2001
    Maybe, but I don't believe vanity is among jedi traits.

9. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Dug this thread up because....

While looking for good Nomi Sunrider pics, I noticed that she wears earrings. (If you to go this page, they're in pictures 10, 11, 12, and 16: http://jizz.w.interia.pl/nomi.htm.) Of course, this is several thousand years before the movies (4,000 before the battle of Yavin, to be exact), Nomi Sunrider is an exception to a lot of things, and it's from the comic books, but it still gives you the option to wear jewelry as a Jedi. :)

10. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I think it each Jedi's preferance to wear or not wear jewerly. Vanity says you HAVE to wear it. I'm sure some might even make theirs as an excersise in patiance.(Anyone who's ever repaired or made earrings or necklaces understands.:D) If I'm going on a mission that could turn into a battle (Most do) I'd not wear long dangly earrings or necklaces b/c they'd get caught on things.
    Aslo jewerly can say what culture he/she is from. Nothing I've seen says you can't. If so wouldn't the suead eared headdress one jedi female wears be consdiered an adorment?
    Mynn

11. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    i know you were talking about jedi but ... sith wear jewellery . darth maul had a stud in his ear . i didnt take out my hoops , nose ring or bangles for my sith costume .

12. HerrKutt

HerrKutt Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    If you look at the prequels and the originals, the only noticeable piece of adornment is on Darth Sidious, the clasp on his robe. Dooku has the chain on his cape as does Vader. Jocasta has the stick thing in her bun, not sure if that counts as jewelry though...

13. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Jedi Master Shaak Ti has some buds on the rim of her face. I have never got a really good look at it, but I assume that it could be classified as jewelery.

14. Master_Domtis

Master_Domtis Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    I found the quote in approching storm:

"Barriss eyed a stall dripping with jewelry...Such conventional personal ornamentationwas forbidden to a Jedi. As one of her teachers had explained to Barriss and her fellow Padawnas, 'A Jedi's glow comes from withen, not from the artificial augmentation of baubles and beads.'
    Still, that necklace of Searous hair and interwoven pikach stones was just gorgeous."

Of course, if it was a cultural tridition, like Barriss and Luminera's tattoos, Adi and her cousen's headpieces or the small pieces that adorn Depa's forehead, I guess they would be allowed or perhaps even encouraged...

15. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Again, let me point out that Nomi is the exception to a lot of Jedi rules: She was married, started training waaay later in life than early childhood, and wore earrings. 4,000 years before ANH. :) So, if you really must wear jewelry, just say you're a really really old Old Order Jedi. *laugh*

The arguments against Jedi wearing jewelry make a lot of sense. Distraction in battle, vanity, discretion. I'm sure that between Nomi Sunrider's time and the current prequel time the rules against such personal adornment came into place, if they weren't already there, for those exact reasons.

16. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Since we know there are Jedi with tattoos (Luminaria and Barriss), why not jewelry?
    Its part of their culture to wear those. They are Chalactin Tattoos.

I do remember reading someplace that a Jedi is not supposed to have an possestions which includes jewlery unless it is apart if their culture. I also remember reading that Jedi are supposed to wear earth toned color tunics (Browns, Greens, etc) Anakin clearly disobeys that by wearing black Tabbords.

I think this was all mentioned in some pages of the JA series and The Approaching Storm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.