main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Training/ EU/ Clone Wars...........Important Stuff Folks!!!! (AOTC Spoilers, maybe)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MysteryWhiteBoy8, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    A few threads up recently have gotten me thinking about, well, about Jedi Training, the Clone Wars, and the EU.

In the EU, before Phantom Menace came out and introduced us to the concept of baby Jedi being taken away from their families in order to be trained, we had several theories on training Jedi. Obi-wan's suggestion about being wrong about training Anakin, and our knowledge of Anakin the fighter pilot granted us an estimation that perhaps Anakin Skywalker was in his late teens or early 20s when trained by Obi-wan. Yoda's "He is too young, too young to begin the training" suggest otherwise, as Luke in ESB is around 21 years old. These are the indications for Jedi training in the OT.

In the EU we see a few examples of old Jedi. Callista mentions a bearded Jedi coming to her home on Chad and telling her about Jedi training and such, and eventually convincing her to come and train. I don't remember exactly, but she must have been around 16 years old. High Inquisitor Treymayne, in his short story, mentions a bearded Jedi (whats with all these beards?) coming to his 16th birthday party and telling him he is eligible to become a Jedi.

To me this interesting. From what we know now from AOTC, the Clone Wars begin with heavy Jedi casualities. I'm putting two and two together. The Clone Wars are going to take a heavy toll on the Jedi ranks, enough of a toll to make it easier for Palpatine to completely destroy the order when the time came for that. I am thinking that the Jedi Council, realizing that the Jedi are suffering heavy casualties and not replacing them fast enough, will start taking on older apprentices and sending them into the galaxy soon.

This could serve several purposes. In the case of Treymayne, we see a Jedi who joined the New Order as a Dark Jedi. These ill-trained and unindoctrinated Jedi would be more likely to succomb to the dark side and join Palpatines cause. Another reason would be to supply the Jedi ranks with more or less expendable warriors, still Jedi, but without the 18 or so years of training that all jedi were given up to that point.

These are just some ideas i have, but i think they correllate awful well with what we know of the EU, what we know of the CloneWars so far, and what we know of Jedi training. It could also be used as a good argument for anyone who said "Well Callista was trained at 16. .. . . that goes against TPM." You could use this argument in support of your defense.

Thoughts ? Questions? Tomatoes?

2. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    "In the EU we see a few examples of old Jedi. Callista mentions a bearded Jedi coming to her home on Chad and telling her about Jedi training and such, and eventually convincing her to come and train. I don't remember exactly, but she must have been around 16 years old"

This just shows that GL doesn't really care that much about EU. Hes going to change it where he wants too. Like he did with 3PO's history and the Sith History. In fact he only kept the name Coursant the same because some people on his staff asked him to so they wouldn't have to explain the change to fans in EU.

3. mirax_T

mirax_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 1999
    ummm.... yoda actually says that he is too old to begin the training, not too young...

4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    ASccording to one of the Adventuire Hournals,GL is the one that told Veitch how ancient Jedi were trained.

As for Tremayne and Callista..who cares? Someone read TotJ and assumed that the Jedi trained luike that up until the PT era.

Tremayne was 15 when hw started training btw. We don't know how old Callista was. She could've been 2 or 4. Ki Adi Mundi was two when he started his training. Dooku was 2. Unless the novel says she was 16...

5. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    I seem to recall her being older, as she remembered vividly what she was about to do, where she was going, and about what it would be like to leave home. i'd assume that would make her older than 4, at the very least.

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I think four is reasonable for Callista.

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.