main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    A good human link machine doesn't sleep, he waits.

That... is why you failed. :p

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Excuses now?8-}

Satipo and starocean90 like this.
  3. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015

Meh, I'm really looking forward to some interviews after the film comes out, so JJ can actually talk about something. Every interview is just the same rehash of patronizing everything about Star Wars and the people involved in this project. Its understandable, but terribly boring.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Knights of Ren?

5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I think that the First Order is the least of the galaxy's problems. I believe that TFA is setting a much larger stage. When I consider why Luke might be in exile and why finding him is so important even after they have decimated the FO's weapon, it makes me think that the FO is just a pawn in the scheme of things.

The title "The Force Awakens" will mean a lot more to us when the trilogy is over.

B99 likes this.
  6. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    It might indeed. But I think Star Wars needs some version of that Empire/Rebels aesthetic to really click. Star Wars thrives on villians we love to hate. I mean, lots of folks love the PT, and lots of kids love the Clones, but the bad guys in the PT are not terribly charismatic. One reason I like TCW better than the PT in a lot of ways is that Dooku is a more rounded character, and Asajj is a bad ass villian. We also get some lovable scoundrels like Hondo. And a even a BAMF in the form of Cade Bane.

Look at the reaction to this film so far. If you look at The RPF, what are the costumes people are mostly replicating? The FO Stormtroopers, Kylo Ren, and Phasma. TFA has villains we love to hate, and that is a positive, IMO.

7. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I've heard of Williams referring to people as "baby" "angel baby" and so forth before. I have a hard time imagining it.

8. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015
    JJ always says all the right things. He's reverential of the Star Wars universe, but knows a movie isn't great just because Han Solo and lightsabers showed up. He knows the importance of having a story that stands on its own for all demographics, beginning middle and end, that at the same time has a sense of history and hints at things to come. He and Arndt and Kasdan worked really hard on nailing the narrative down before going into production, something he's openly critical about with his prior work. He's in a very gifted position, and he and all his collaborators are taking it seriously to make a great space fantasy adventure. Something that's funny, romantic, intense, dramatic, executed with wit and clarity and efficiency.

dan1210, Darth-Seldon, TX-20 and 4 others like this.
  9. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    Said exactly the same in the box office thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jabbadabbado and Satipo like this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Their facelessness is also hugely important. It's in great part why Darth Vader, the Imperial Stormtroopers, and Boba Fett are so iconic. You can project anything onto their facemasks, and you can imagine anything behind them.

Spider-Man and Iron Man have a similar appeal, although obviously neither of those characters are villains. Most of the time, at least.

11. yassir.khan

Nov 27, 2014
    Spidey's greatest appeal was that literally every male reader could imagine that they were Spidey. It certainly worked for this reader who is of an ethnic minority.

It's why I think it's so important that the two main leads are a female and a black man.

12. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    JJ was always a considered a fan boy who understands Star Wars. But does he understand how crazy the current fan boys would go if Rey is just a random?

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, I was too much of a mutt to see myself in any other superhero character as a kid, but with Spider-Man it didn't matter. Peter's problems were my own, and when he was in the costume, I didn't care what he looked like; underneath that mask he was me.

That's why it bothers me so much when I see people side-eying the casting as "political correctness." I don't think they realize how important it can be to see yourself in another character, both physically and otherwise.

14. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. Hollywood (and the wider industry) needs far greater diversity and its great to see SW changing its ways on this front. More please.

15. yassir.khan

Nov 27, 2014
    Agree with both of you. Completely. I think JJ, KK absolutely share the same views. The anti-political correctness brigade AKA Daily Mail readers spectacularly miss the point. Everybody has the right to feel they are represented. Going back to comics it's why I always resonated with Marvel. Much more so than DC.

And with Star Wars the introduction of Lando was very welcome.

16. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Meh, I'm really looking forward to some posts after the film comes out, so TurboPGT can actually talk about something. Every post is just the same rehash of criticizing everything about Star Wars and the people involved in this project. Its understandable, but terribly boring.

;)

17. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    These boards have a case of the Mondays…

18. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    a production image from the wired interview.
    [​IMG]

19. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "the fact is I remember starting to shoot Super 8 and Star Trek Into Darkness and feeling like I hadn’t really solved some fundamental story problems."

Understatement of the decade there, JJ

20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    How is that an understatement?

Satipo and Howard Hand like this.
  21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Damon Lindelof's style does not work in the movies. LOST and now The Leftovers prove that he is meant to stay on Television.

22. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003

Agreed. I find him likable and on point in any interview, speech, TedTalk etc. There's a reason he is where he is.

yassir.khan and Artoo-Dion like this.
  23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009

Yeah, "fundamental story problems" is brutally honest.

What do people expect? "Those films sucked on every level. Top-to-bottom, they were hack-jobs. Frankly, I'm surprised I can still get work."

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I thought JJ's honesty showed a lot of class. Everything he said about the writing process, and Kasdan, showed a lot of healthy self-awareness.

hippie1kenobi, Xinau, Satipo and 5 others like this.
  25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    that wasn't honesty it was misdirection.:-B

Darth_Pevra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.