main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TFA: Weapon of a Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Sep 2, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not that Jabba deserves any sympathy - but his minions, slaves, etc on the sail barge, might.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, a new version of the Death Star contractors argument.

You get points for creativity but that's about it as the Clerks answer applies.

3. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Just saying, Luke kills a lot of people in the OT and wasn't like beating himself up over it so him leaving this guy to rot ain't that crazy.

4. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Read this in one evening a few nights ago.

Very very good.

5. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014
    Another argument is that Luke hasn't learned all his lessons by this point - he's a Knight, not a Master. I've always felt the point of Ben's and Yoda's teachings - aimed at Anakin as well as Luke - was that sacrifice is what wins in the end.

At the beginning of ROTJ Luke has become a warrior, but hasn't yet achieved enlightenment. His warrior skills allow him to defeat Vader, but they can't defeat the greater evil of the Emperor, who can only be defeated by Luke's willingness to suffer and die; this in turn teaches Anakin his final lesson, and so on.

In the Jabba section, he is the kind of Knight we see his father embody in The Clone Wars - assured, deadly, a little cocky, improvisational (he kills the unexpected rancor), but capable of strategy (the hidden lightsaber.) In the throne room, he's more like Ben or Yoda at the end.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No. Thugs and criminals are not the same as civilians who are in a military target that can only be stopped on a highly specific way.

There's no moral equivalence and justifying satisfaction at killing a criminal is repugnant. I don't want a Luke Skywalker who exults in the death of criminals but only feels compassion to his own family members. That's evil and selfish, and that's not the story of Luke Skywalker.

Luke can and should fight and kill to save lives or people, but he isn't somebody who thrills in it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce and my kind of scum like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not really seeing the point where we disagree, except for a somewhat flippant one-liner that you've decided to take very seriously.

I don't see Luke as, after Tattooine, going to the bar Home One, buying a round of drinks and whooping to the sky that the fat slug's gone, but neither do I see him dwelling much on the fact that Jabba's dead.

8. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    I'm not sure where this came from

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A combination of Sinre and Iron_lord's posts mostly, which talk about him taunting Jabba over his last mistakes as if he were looking forward to it.

Ben: it's a combination of the Clerks thing and the above. I'm aware it's a flippant response, I'm just saying that it's still different.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What I can't see is what you're hinting at over the difference. I mean you've gone and liked a post where I said Luke shouldn't try and redeem everyone then posted your recent stuff, it's hard to see what you're getting at.

I think the problem with both Vader and Jabba is people tend to see each as representative of Luke deciding an absolute one-size-fits-all position on redemption or criminals and I don't buy that. If anything, Luke works on a case-by-case basis, improvising as he goes - he isn't prejudicial - you can see that in his dealings with Sarco, but once a being has demonstrated their nature clearly? He responds to that, but never to the degree of 'kill' being option 1.

Dante1120 likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm saying three things with my posts and that like:

I. I agree that Luke does not merely have to stand by.

II. War is a different situation from rescuing people from criminals

III. In either event, Luke was justified but he shouldn't delight in it.

12. StarLorrd

Nov 18, 2014

I can see that. I always thought of it as Luke not giving up on a peaceful resolution and hoping Jabba would change his mind (stupid in hindsight).

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think Luke genuinely was giving Jabba one last chance to give up peacefully, but at the same time he really didn't care whether or not Jabba did. It was just in his nature to offer it one more time, but he was willing to do what he had to either way.

14. StarLorrd

Nov 18, 2014
    When he's being led off "You should have bargained Jabba" sounds a lot like a taunt, but then again he did give another chance at the Sarlacc "Last chance, Free us,or die" so I'm happy with that characterisation. There's not much more he could have done IMO.

Whether it was necessary to blow up the entire sail barge after Jabba was dead though . . . I can see why some people would question that

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    For one, did Luke know Jabba was dead?
    For two, what is stopping any potential successor or guard from pursuing anyways?
    For three, was the intent to destroy the sail barge, or damage/disable it and knock it out of commission, and the complete destruction just the result?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. StarLorrd

Nov 18, 2014
    probably. He's a jedi.
    Exactly
    who knows

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, that clears away the haze nicely and it turns out to be a case of net discussion haze where it looks like we're saying different stuff when we're not.

18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

who says redeem. taking him to a prison was what i was thinking. better than letting someone die alone

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What makes you think that's viable JM? Luke had difficulty enough surviving his duel with Sarco.

JediMatteus likes this.
  20. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
  21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

right, that is the one caveat. i justed wanted to see him wrestling with it a little, thats all. I understand he did not have the ability to actually do it at that point.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Uh, wow, okay.

That is pretty cool.

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Spoils the hell out of it, I guess, but y'know.

25. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012