main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi's missed opportunity on Utapau?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Mace_Windolene, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mace_Windolene

Mace_Windolene Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    When Obi-Wan enters the Separatist conference room on Utapau, we see him overhear Grievous tell the leaders that he is sending them to Mustafar.

When we see them on Mustafar, there is no droid army, only some Neimoidian guards, so we can assume they went on a shuttle.

Why didn't Obi-Wan contact the Republic Battle Cruiser and tell the clones to intercept the shuttle? That way his mission would have killed two birds with one stone.

Even if the Separatist leaders did leave on a Trade Federation battleship, the least Obi-Wan could've done was delay saying "Hello there" to Grievous for a couple of minutes while he placed a tracer on the Separatist ship.

2. Master_Jedi_Singh

Master_Jedi_Singh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 13, 2005
    Because by then the republic army would be there and ruin the surpirse
    after grevious was destroyed after that Obi Wan was getting back to cody then he went into the water

3. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Good call, however, if he were to have made that call it may have tipped off that he may be there / going there also. The Clonetroopers could have arrived on the scene while Obi-Wan and Anakin/ Darth Vader were fighting. It could have altered the way that Vader looses his limbs and makes the transition to the mechanical Vader.

4. Mace_Windolene

Jun 16, 2005
    I'm sure Obi-Wan had a secure comlink...

5. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    I think Obi-Wan was prioritizing. I'm not sure, but I think Master_Jedi_Singh is saying basically the same thing I am: Obi-Wan realized that destroying Grievous was more important than capturing the Separatists. If he could destroy Grievous, the Separatist army would be without its leader, and would become something like a headless snake. The entire army would be in disarray and it would be much easier to eliminate the rest of it once the leader was gone. If he had sent the clone army (or even a small part of it) to intercept Gunray and the rest, the clones would lose the element of surprise against Grievous' droids. Part of Obi-Wan's plan involved making sure Grievous was incredibly overconfident, which Obi-Wan made him by dropping into the middle of the droid army seemingly all alone. Grievous would have been alerted to what was coming if the clones attacked the Separatist shuttle.

EDIT: Edited for grammar.

6. Mace_Windolene

Jun 16, 2005
    He could have contacted the Republic Battle Cruiser and told them to incercept the shuttle after the ground troops had disembarked.

If they left on a battleship he could've contacted the ground troops and told them to hold off for a couple of minutes.

7. Gungan_Sith

Gungan_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    You know, I just watched my DVD yesterday and I noticed that too. If Obi Wan had heard Grievous tell the Separatists to go to Mustafar, couldn't Obi have at least tried to guess (or use the Force to get a general idea) where Anakin was and not even go see Padme? Big plothole, there.

8. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    The first option is a good idea, unless the cruiser was needed for backup or supplies during the battle. I'm not familiar with the Republic Army's procedures for things like that. I'm not sure I understand your second scenario. If he told the ground troops to hold off, Grievous could have left and Obi-Wan would have to try to keep up with him, and there's the possibility that Grievous would go somewhere Obi-Wan couldn't follow. In any case, I think this scene is a great example of the recklessness Ben referred to in Episode V.

9. Mace_Windolene

Jun 16, 2005
    Agreed!

"Hello there" was classic :D

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Well Obi-Wan could have told Cody,but I kind of doubt he heard them by the look on his face,he was too focused on getting Greivous

11. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Sorry, but how is this a plothole? Obi-Wan had no reason to suspect that Anakin had gone to kill the Sep leaders. Not trying to guess or use the Force (why do people think the Force can do anything?) =/= Plothole, especially since you admit to not knowing for sure if Obi-Wan even heard Grievous say what he said.

12. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    No, no plothole. It happened in a completely different timeframe. Yes, he should have radioed the clones to intercept, but I guess he just forgot. :p

13. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Obi-Wan doesn't hear him say that, though. He's racing along platforms at the time. He doesn't reach the room where Grievous is until he's talking about Nute being in his grip.

14. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Ahh it's that golden rule again. If it's not wht you would have done, it's a plothole. :rolleyes:

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan's comlink would've been traced or jammed. Note that he tells R4 to go back to Cody. He doesn't want to take a chance.

16. Mace_Windolene

Jun 16, 2005
    I thought he told R4 to go to make the Sepratists think he'd left. In which case, why would they try to jam or trace a random com signal?

17. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    Thats how it happens. Obi Wan isnt there when he says Mustufar. He comes just after when Grievos is saying something Nuite, and tells them all to leave. I just watched it

18. Gungan_Sith

Gungan_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    That wasn't me who said that. I think Obi Wan heard every word of what Grievous said. And though you can't use the Force to do everything, Yoda did say "Use your feelings (which is more or less the Force) and find him, you will." Even without his "feelings" on his side, Obi Wan could've made the connection if he stopped to think about it, moreso if he DID use his feelings. It would go something like this:

Obi Wan: Hmmm. Where could Anakin be? Let's see, he's Sidious' apprentice right now. Sidious probably wants him to do his dirty work. Who WOULD Sidious want to deal with at this stage of his regime? Let's see.... Separatists. Hey, didn't Grievous tell the Separatists to go to the Mustafar system? That's right, he did! I could probably find Anakin there slaughtering them. *searches feelings, then leaves*

It's a bit of a stretch, but its not impossible.

19. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    Obi-wan's comlink would've been traced or jammed. Note that he tells R4 to go back to Cody. He doesn't want to take a chance.

Okay. But then he could have told R4 to tell Cody.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He didn't know that they were there. He only knew that Greivous was there with ten thousand Battle Droids.

21. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Just checked the DVD and yes, When Grievous say's this ObiWan and Boga were not even close to Grievous and the Seps when this is said. they were barely in the ship at that time. so this whole Question is irrelevant. sorry. :)

22. voodoopuuduu

Mar 22, 2004
    He didn't know that they were there. He only knew that Greivous was there with ten thousand Battle Droids.

Oops, thats correct, R4 was already gone when he discovered the separatists.

23. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    a better question would be, how did Greivous's guard who was watching obiwan, not notice that obi was walking away from the fighter after it took off (and thus NOT in it)?

Or how did Obiwan miss the opportunity to notice the death star plans clearly visible on one of the screens behind greivous, when they first duel?

an even better question, how could a do-gooder like obiwan kenobi, race past both a clearly labled yeild sign, and a children crossing sign, and not slow his giant lizard to the speed limit?

An even more, better question, how did I not notice any of these little easter eggs the first time around?[face_laugh]

24. Uric-Qel-Droma

Uric-Qel-Droma Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    good question

25. Mace_Windolene

Jun 16, 2005
    Yep, I realised that Grievous said he was sending them to Mustafar before Obi-Wan got there [face_blush] , but everything else I said was valid.

So it's not irrelevant - I think it's a fair point - Obi-Wan saw the Separatist leaders all present and correct being sent off to some other haven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.