main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lebanon: The Forgotten Occupation

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Vaderbait, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    So I'm sure all of you are fairly up to date on the crisis in Lebanon. If not, here:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,147747,00.html
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/02/15/lebanon.warning/index.html

I'm not an expert on Lebanon, I know about what the average American knows about it. However, I'm one of those who would be happy to see Syria kicked out of Lebanon, not just because they're occupying a smaller less powerful country that has been straining to become free, but because they're such a huge sponsor of terrorism and they don't even hide it. Really, out of all the oppressive governments in the world, I think Syria, Iran, North Korea are the obvious ones, and Africa. However, I think Syria is often overlooked.

What are your opinions? What will happen in Lebanon? Will there be an uprising? Will it succeed? WIll it have UN backing, or will they continue to pass resolutions and proceed not to back them up? Will foreign countries back the Lebanese, or will they be left out to dry?

TOday, Iran and Syria officially announced an alliance. Do you think it includes military measures? Will they for sure act in each others defense, or go the route of so many middle eastern countries and abandon each other? Will it lead to a regional war? Or will it be kept localized?

Or will there be any violence at all, other than the riot yesterday?

2. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004

I think it's about time Lebanon got angry at Syria for controlling their country fo so long.

All I know of how it came about is that Lebanon was the only Christian country in the Middle East, so Syria wanted to aid the "opressed" Muslims from the infidels and took over the place. As if there wasn't enough Muslim countries in the Middle East already.

Lebanon should definetely try to gain its independence from Syria, and the UN should help too, because they might not be able to do it on their own.

3. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    You wouldn't even have to justify it for the UN to go in there. Of course, they won't, but I'm actually hoping France's anger can help US-French relations by working together to take out Syria. Solve two problems with one stone.

Anyways, back to the justification. If the UN was actually doing what it was supposed to, they would realize that Lebanon is a puppet government, and there is no real representation of the people in a true sense.

I guess what I don't understand is why the UN bothers with resolutions if they won't enforce them. I know the point is to reduce warfare, but what sense does it make to try half assed to improve the lives of people in the world, and then give up when there is ia really good chance of making collossal change for the good?

4. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    from the point of view of someone with connections to lebanon, i can say any uprising is unlickly. The Syrains have pulled out most of their troops over the last few years, they used to have much more. While i can say Lebanese are really not fond of having Syrains in their country, i don't think it ever reached the opposition to the Israeli occuption of southern lebanon from those yeras ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.