main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Leia ANH First Gown...Help me... Obiwan Kenobi....;

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JediMasterLeia, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Someone over at Rebel Legion found an archived version of the belt tutorial

Also I premiered my Leia this weekend, I'm going to make a new belt, since I've finally gotten hold of buttons that I can use, and I also need to restyle the wig. The upper side of the buns are a big too big so the hood doesn't fall right.

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/bandykullan/creations/IMG_0461.jpg]

2. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    Great job Obi Anne!!

This thread is making me want to re-do my dress. It was frantically made the night before Dragoncon a few years ago with Hancock's knit poly fabric and this has surprisingly lasted through several cons.

[image=http://www.jedigal.com/Costume_Blog/Entries/2008/9/15_Dragon-Con_2008_files/leiaparadewave.jpg]

My belt is made from heavy leather-textured white floor vinyl (think kitchen floor but thicker) which worked great b/c it didn't require any special leather tools and the grommets were added easily. But, because I used a two-part epoxy glue for strength on the aluminum bits, the glue is starting to yellow with age. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I use another type of epoxy next time?

I have also been meaning to try KayDee's drawstring hair method. I used packages of synthetic hair extensions and it was hard to work with and very difficult to get both buns uniform and they were very heavy! This might be the time for a version 2. :)

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Thanks Cressie. :)

I guess one always thinks of ways to make the costume better. I'm definitely going to redo the belt and the buns before the next time I wear it. I also think that the dress got a bit big, but I'll try to correct that with some elastic or well placed gathers.

4. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I'm just starting to work on Version 4 of my dress, but working out how to sew it all up has been doing my head in all day! I desperately need help! I've searched almost the entire thread, and apart form a short explanation fro Kay_Dee (Which I tried to understand, but was still baffled by) I couldn't find anything.

I've got it all cut out, and both layers (lining and outter) have their side/sleeve seams sewn up. So what's next? I want to do it so that all of my seams (sleeve hems, and the entire dress hem) are on the inside. I'd rather not have to handstitch the hem if I can avoid it!! I know there's a way of doing it by pulling it through the neck, but I just can't work it out!

So to all the wonderful Classic Leia's out there; how did you do it?

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I failed with that. So my sleeves actually have a visible seem, I just made it a few mm from the edge though, to make it as invisible as possible.

6. cressie

cressie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2006
    I failed also :( I ended up with a very visable rolled hem around the sleeve opening.

7. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    My skirt hem is hand stitched on the inside. That's how the real costume was made also.

I don't know how I explained this long ago. Let me try again. Once each of the two dresses is sewn (you have your outer layer all sewn, and your inner layer... it looks like you have two dresses) Put them together as it will look when you are finished. Meaning, all the seams allowances are hidden. Here's another way to say it. Your lining layer is 'inside out' and your outer layer is correct side out. You then just slide your lining into the dress. Each layer is now loosely in place, not sewn in place.

The next thing I did was pin the keyhole layers together... folding the seam allowance inward as it would be when it's done being sewn. That's just to make sure I have the orientation right. Then I flip the dress so the wrong sides of the lining and the dress are facing out and re-pin the keyhole properly and sew it together. Then I flip it all back out again.

Next, I attach the collar. (the inner seam of that has to be hand finished)

Next, I do the sleeves. I have the lining and the outer layer all put together the way it is when you wear it. I then quickly turn the seam allowance of one sleeve opening inward and loosly pin the sleeve opening just to have the right orientation. I then pull the loosely pinned sleeve through the open hem line. I re-pin it properly (keeping the orientation), sew it, then pull the sleeve back through into place. Repeat on the other sleeve.

I then move on to the side vents, working on one of those at a time.

Finally, the hem is done by hand by folding both layers (outer and inner) as though they are one and doing a blind hand stitch hem. This is how it's done on the film used garment too.

8. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    The only thing I hand sewed on mine is the final hem.

I sewed the sleeves together at the wrists (basically it looked like two dresses, inside out, joined at the wrist). Then I did the keyhole opening and neck through the bottom of the dress. Next I added an elastic waist (I like the way it controls blousing) and sewed the slits together through the bottom of the dress. Finally, I just rolled the hem and sewed it by hand.

Make sure you have a ball-point needle for your sewing machine when using the Jet Set or interlock. That will solve all the issues with the fabric.

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Unlocked and bumped up.

10. rehtul-minnau

rehtul-minnau Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2010
    I thought this might help someone, and I hope I posted in the right place.
    I wanted to make a very cheap belt for the Classic Leia, but one that still looked fairly accurate. I found a way to make one with things I had lying around the house, plus a few other cheap things:
    1. old linoleum flooring (I'm not sure how common it is to have a piece of scrap linoleum in one's attic, but luckily I did.)
    2. cereal boxes
    3. aluminum foil
    4. tape
    5. heavy-duty Velcro
    6. "Liquid Nails" Clear Seal All-Purpose Sealant
    7. 7/8 inch cover buttons
    8. silver clay
    9. white or off-white paint

What I did was:
    To make the belt, tape several pieces of paper together to make a strip long enough to go around your waist, plus about 2 and 1/2 inches extra. Then you draw out a pattern for the belt; it should be 2 and 3/8 inches wide except for the part where it dips down, which should be 3 and 7/8 inches wide from the point to the top of the belt. Then cut out the pattern. At this point, you will want to try it on to see if it fits, and make adjustments as necessary. (It should overlap a few inches in the back). Now lay out the linoleum with the right side down, and lay the pattern down on that. Draw around the edges of the pattern, then take it off. Cut out the belt. (I used kitchen scissors to do this, but I suppose it could depend on the thickness of the linoleum and the sharpness of the scissors.) Now paint it; this will take several coats, but you'll have other thing to do while the first coat dries!

It is now time for the little silver "plates". Cut out rectangles from the cereal box that are 2 inches wide and 2 and 1/2 inches long, then cut off the corners to match the shape of the "plates" on Leia's belt. I used five, but you might need to make more or less, depending on the length of the belt. Now it's time to cut out the middle "plate". For this one, you will have to "eye" it, as it will be very difficult to describe the measurements. Cut out a small square of paper, and then use it (as well as a few reference pictures) to determine the size and shape of the middle "plate". Once you have them all cut out, start covering them in the aluminum foil, making sure that the foil is extremely flat. After you cover the "plates", you need to tape them. Use clear tape, and go horizontally. (Taping them will make sure that the foil doesn't get ripped.) Now you will put the little round things on. Fill the hollow in the cover buttons with the silver clay (try to make the clay level with the edges of the covers), and then bake them in the oven at 275 degrees Fahrenheit until the clay is hard. (Please pardon the vague-ness, I don't deal with clay much; if this is incorrect, please let me know!) Now simply glue them to the center of the "plates", using the "Liquid Nails". If they are not level, you will have to sand them down.

Having done all of that, check to see if the belt is dry. If it is, paint it again; if not, wait a little more. Keep coating the belt until it looks white.

You're almost finished! Now you need to glue the "plates" onto the belt. Using the "Liquid Nails" (you're using a silicone glue so that the glue will bend when you put the belt around your waist) glue all the "plates" on so that the two rectangular "plates" are about 1 and 1/2 inches from the one in the middle, and there is one on either side of your waist. If you have six "plates", as I do, you will put the last "plate" on the very edge of one end of the belt; the other end will not have any. Now for the Velcro. Put one piece of Velcro on the very edge of the end that has the "plate" (on the other side). Wrap the belt around your waist, with the front in the back. Don't make it too tight, or too lose (you will probably want to be wearing your dress when you try this). Drawing on the side that does not have the "plate", mark along the edge of the end that does have the "plate". Now put a piece of Velcro on the end that has the mark, placing it so that it will be hidden underneath the end that has the "plate". (Note: When putting the Velcro on, be sure that it is in

11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Have you tried Plumber's Tape instead of that complicated silver foil & clay procedure? Might save a lot of time. Slightly different color, and limited to 2.5" wide, but since you mentioned packing tape...

12. rehtul-minnau

Aug 11, 2010
    I never thought of that. It definitely would be nice to be able to find a faster way to do the plates. Would you paint the tape?

I actually tried using packing tape, but I liked the results better when I used the tape that one uses to wrap presents - one piece in the middle, and one on either side of that.

The reason I used the foil was because I wanted it to look like metal, and the foil reflected light nicely. I think I may eventually try to use the inside of a Coke can - that would hold up better.

Thank you for the suggestion - I'm new at costuming, and could use all the help I can get! :D

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I love to see how people come up with their own ways of making costumes.

Here's my updated Leia.

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/bandykullan/creations/IMG_1368.jpg]

If you compare to the photos earlier in the thread I finally have better buns, and the belt and gun are new as well. I need to restyle the buns again, but at least this time I know how to do it to make it look good. It's basically a long wig, and then two sets of hair extensions in it.

The belt, I was happy with the new belt pieces, but I failed in sewing the fake leather together, you can see that there are some wrinkles in the front. The belt plates started to come loose after one weekend, so I should come up with something better to secure them.

I'm planning on maybe redoing things for the blue-ray release. I also want to redo the dress, it's starting to look really worn in some places.

14. rehtul-minnau

Aug 11, 2010
    It looks great, Obi Anne! :D The buns are lovely, but they may need to be a little higher. What are the plates on the belt made of?

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Yes, the drooped a bit. Still I prefer them too low compared to too high, at least then you can make the hood look good.

The plates are made from a sheet of aluminium, soft enough so that I could cut it with regular scissors, and then button blanks.

16. rehtul-minnau

Aug 11, 2010
    What boots do I need? I'd like to be able to use them for a Tatooine Luke costume as well.... (Yes, I'm cheap. :p )

17. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    For Leia, ideally White, knee high boots with a flat of 1/2-1" heel with a dark brown or black sole. If you make a spat for the Luke costume, you should be able to get away with recycling them into another costume. My old Leia boots were also my Snowbunny boots, until I found something better after a few years of trooping.

18. rehtul-minnau

Aug 11, 2010
    Is there any specific brand you would suggest?

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It's up to you, really. Some people have just found them on ebay.

Here's one source:

http://www.bandshoppe.com/catalog/productDetail.do?p=Holly_Majorette_Boot

20. starwarslvrr

starwarslvrr Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2011
    Hi. I`m new to this site and I`m not sure about where to post my questions but here goes. I`ve been hunting online for a week and I`m looking for templates to make the hooded Leia gown. I`m making costumes for everyone in my family. Sandtrooper for myself , jawa for my son , slave Leia for my daughter and the hooded gown for my wife. I`ve finished mine and my son`s and need the other 2 by April 29th. I just want straight forward templates that even an idiot can follow. I got my material and the belt seems easy enough. Any help would be appreciated. Evrywhere I look all that is written are talk of patterns and styles to work with and it`s all greek to me. We`re talkin about a guy who sews everything by hand here so just something easy to help me get the job done. Help! Help! Help!

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
  22. Furiafelina

Furiafelina Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2008
    that's the tutorial I used and it turned out great!

[image=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb100/furiafelina/Centro%20Medico%20oncologia%20pediatrica%202-5-11/P2050321.jpg]

23. rehtul-minnau

Aug 11, 2010
    Lovely! :D What does the hood look like?

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I have finally gotten decent buns!

Instead of trying to make buns from my wig hair, I have a waistlong, straight wig, and then add extra hair for volume. This weekend I instead made two balls of loose hair, pinned them on, and then I just finished with twisting the wig hair around the hair balls. They looked a lot better, took me half the time to make, stayed in place a whole day. This was a quick thing, so I think for the next event I'm going to prepare the hairballs in advance so that I have two uniform ones.

My dress and belt are really on their last leg though. The dress looks really worn, and the belt is way too big. I have lost around 30 pounds since I made the costume and it's getting quite visible.

I think this is the best picture I have of me from the weekend.

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/bandykullan/creations/IMG_1679.jpg]

25. rehtul-minnau

Aug 11, 2010
    I like it! :D Do you pre-make the buns and then just put them on?