main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Leland Chee reveals the main reason for the reboot!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hamburger_Time, Jan 17, 2018.

1. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Butchering the EU further. YAY!!!

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The EU was always going to be strip mined of anything once it was decanonized.

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    They were butchering it even when it was canon. Remember that Maul game?

revan772 likes this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Vaguely. Though that was more Lucas doing-didn't he come across a statue of Maul and Talon and not understand the timeline difference?

5. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    I think it was more that Lucas didn't care. I am sure he understood it alright. He seems to have more time in going through the comics and using concepts from them like Ventress, Aayla. or Vos.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Don't have to tell people to go read a book to find out what happens to Luke. The overall gist of what happened in Legends post-ROTJ is just "Luke helps bring peace to the galaxy, they lived happily ever after, the end". Is it really that outlandish to just turn the page on the OT and start anew with a completely fresh cast of characters? I mean, otherwise we'd have to have Episode X pick up where IX leaves off just so we can see how Rey's actions inadvertently helped sow the seeds of yet another conflict.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    kalzeth and Gharlane like this.
  7. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    :D

8. Psychenous

Psychenous Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2017
    Considering we don't know the facts you were making a lot of supposition about what might have happened, and seemingly why it doesn't matter even if he did receive threats.[/QUOTE]

Not really. What you call supposition was based on interviews with Salvatore. The oversimplification that I criticised was made by other people.

9. Psychenous

Psychenous Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2017
    Considering we don't know the facts you were making a lot of supposition about what might have happened, and seemingly why it doesn't matter even if he did receive threats.[/QUOTE]

Also in no way did I suggest that the threats did not matter.

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I really wish we'd get a 20th edition of vector prime. I know we won't. But an important Star Wars novel and the 20th anniversary of its release is fast approaching.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be amazing. Maybe B&N would do something. They did for the Han Solo trilogy.

12. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Could they have? Very easily. But why? Putting aside any personal love for the EU, can you imagine the confusion and outrage if Disney had announced the sequel trilogy, with the original cast at the right age to play the mentors/pass the torch, and instead set it a few hundred years in the future with all new characters? What would even make that a sequel trilogy? It would just be a new, unconnected, trilogy. Even Lucas' outline was for the OT heroes and the next generation and Disney is in the business of making money. Bringing back the OT heroes makes them far more money (and is a vastly more popular direction) than avoiding them so they don't contradict existing books/comics that the vast majority of their audience has never read.

Plus what happens when they start wanting to branch out more (like they are starting to now). The EU covered almost everything that would make the most obvious movies - adventures of the OT heroes and their off spring/the next generation, the Old Republic and the origins of the Jedi, 100 plus years into the future, back story for almost everyone, Death Star plans. So much of what we're getting now has been done in the EU. Yes, it was done differently but it was done. They could not let the tail wag the dog. The films had to come first.

jSarek, BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Princess like this.
  13. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Can you imagine how different the saga would be if The Empire Strikes Back was made having to account for Splinter of the Mind's Eye? And that's one book.

14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, it ushered in one of the most ambitious projects in the franchise in terms of both thematic depth and scope so an anniversary edition would be most welcome.

kalzeth, ChrisLyne and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I actually liked the idea of the Maul/Talon Legacy-era game. Given that TCW already had Maul come back from the dead, that genie was already out of the bottle. We knew Palpatine was researching immortality, and the Legacy-era Sith worshiped Maul enough to copy his tattoos. Put it all together and there's enough scaffolding there for it to work (inasmuch as it builds off the already-established ridiculous stuff).

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Just slap Maul in stasis for a hundred and fifty years. Done. It’s not even hard work. Have him the voice inside Krayt’s head, and he emerges when Krayt has fallen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That seems really unnecessary convoluted and just bad from a story POV. But I guess could work from an integrated marketing one

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bosbit_Matarcher

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Still a way to get a character from one point in time to a future point.
    Or what happened in Crosscurrent or Exar Kun surviving on Yavin 4 for 4 thousand years.

21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I guess. But it's a hackjob method of doing it.

22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    You are all forgetting the canon way of getting one character to a future point--alien lifespans! "Maz has run this place for a thousand years"--literally a throwaway line, that's how canon handles things.

So... has anyone ever nailed down Zabrak lifespans? If not, Maul can appear a hundred years later with Talon, no questions asked.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    His Wookieepedia article is twice as long as his only appearance.

You're right, we should learn these things the proper way, a line in an RPG sourcebook.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I didn't have a problem with this-it was one extremely minor character experiencing relativistic time travel.

25. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Minor character is a bit of an overstatement.