main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AppleFan84, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    You got me there.

I can't even boil water.

2. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2005
    What does any of the random information you posted have to do with the point I was making??

and more than a recipe for baked tuna has to do with yours?

you can't debate an argument that doesn't make any sense

3. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_ im actually confused on your post. I dont cook. What does that have to do with the argument.

4. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Weren't we arguing about the molecular weight of plasma?

5. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

Apr 30, 2005
    plasma isn't a spcific molecule, it can't have a uniform molecular mass, this is silly

6. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    You're not a specific molecule, but I'm sure you have weight (uniform molecular mass).

7. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Alphabet, if you're argument is based on the gravitational pull of a galaxy, far, far away, then you could possibly be correct, considering it was less than that of Earth, and the fact that you would have to actually know that for sure.

I am simply stating scientific facts based on the Earth's Gravity.
    That's all I'm capable of.

If your arguments are based on the science of Star Wars, and not IRL, and you are George Lucas himself, then you've got me pegged, because whatever you say goes.

But I'm willing to gamble that your not Mr. Lucas.

8. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

Apr 30, 2005
    my argument is based on actual physics, your argument isn't based on anything..

plasma is as your copy/paste also states, a state of matter..

..a charged gas, dissacociated gaseous molecules, the simplest example of which is charged hydrgogen gas, H2 is hardly massive, but as you point out the sun is the densest thing in the solar system, and thus the most massive, this argument doesn't make any sense since it assumes plasma is always the same density, which is an irrational argument..

According to relativity, the intramolcular forces which hold together a molecule change based on the type of association said atom has with another set of weak intramolcular forces,
    the more energy is converted to bond energy, the less the mass, thus bonds with covalent character would display a lesser atomic mass, then a freely associated charged molecule like in a plasma, the reult is a lesser atomic mass for the plasma,

you're argument suggests that because the sun is dense, plasma of a non specific atomic structure *must* be heavy

9. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP_

Apr 30, 2005
    better Idea, I'll try this again w/o the physics,

you say: plasma is heavy

I say: no it's not, it's lighter than hydrogen gas a STP

you say: copy/paste: the sun is big, dense, and the heaviest thing in the solar system

I say: that information is about as relevent as a recepie for baked tuna steaks

I say: copy/paste: preheat oven to 420 degrees celcius

you say: I can't even boil

I say: how am I supposed to debunk the "facts" in your argument when they have nothing to do with your argument

you say: stop making up physics, relativistic effects on sub atomic bonding energies only exists in star wars

I say: the sun being dense doesn't have anything to do with the mass of plasma, since a plasma of hydrogen at standard temp and preasure would be LESS massive than a cylender of hydrogen gas under the same conditions

I say: [this post]

10. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Ohhhh, look what I started!

Okay then, since I assume even a photon has mass, the blades aren't really weightless.

They are Relatively weightless.

11. Whiney_Farmboy

Whiney_Farmboy Jedi Master

Mar 27, 2004
    The Dooku saber is based on real life designs.
    The curved hilt is a favorite in fencing circles because it provides much more fine control over the blade. It is inefficent in heavy bladed weapons, but it works very well for light foils, or I guess, weightless lighsabers.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the Emperors swordsmanship. He certianly got the job done!
    He may use a higher grip on the hilt, reminicent of the heavy european blade styles, but I didn't really notice. That would seem to fit, though, as the Emperor has much more of a heavy style than the other jedi.

Exactly what I was going to say! Out of curiousity do you fence? I am an avid fencer since I was 11, which is why Dooku was my favourite Sith......until he flipped like a ninja off of a platform when there were stairs two feet away from him.

12. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Exactly what I was going to say! Out of curiousity do you fence?

Not much anymore. I used to, when my Wife was in college she was on the fencing team, so that obviously led to more opportunity.

It's been a while, but it's still something I enjoy.

13. robbman21

robbman21 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    If you MUST know the best possible confirmation that the lightsabre bade is weightless you can go no further than the novelization for "ANH",where Ben gives Luke Anakin's lightsabre it states where Luke makes note that even though the blade has no weight and gives off no heat he realizes just how dangerous sabers are and how he has to be careful in his handling of it.I'm writing this without the novel on hand so I cant quote directy so please forgive if I'm off just a bit.

14. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    1. What's the story with Darth Tyranus' lightsaber? It is different than every other one, with a sort of curvy handle. I imagine there is an explanation from the EU regarding this (and feel free to provide it), but I'm also wondering if there is a more mundane reason for it (e.g., Christopher Lee has arthritic hands and the curved handle helped him hold his weapon more comfortably).

Darth Maul had a dual sided light saber so there is room for creativity I guess.

15. DarthTrooper

DarthTrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    Unless I ate a bowl of stupid for breakfast,I thought Obi-wan told Luke that the lightsaber was relativly weitghless....

Hold on,Its time for the DVDS of absolute GL-Canon!!! *theme music* :D :p

I'm such a nerd:-B

Hmm...the results are in and...[face_praying]

Yay! My brain is broken![face_dancing]

But remeber! Lightsabers are not as "clumsy and random as blasters"=D=

On a More Serious Note:

I think the best proof that lightsabers are so light is because when Obi-wan hands it to Luke and he just twirls it around with his rist like its a twig.

I'm sure there is a little weight From the very saber [not the hand] Itself, or I hope it would,I feel it can actually make your swings seem more eligant and easier to handle if a little weight is on the blade of a sword,along with the handle itself.

But I'm no professional,so I really don't know how it should be.

16. YodaLives

YodaLives Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    In the "Lightsaber" documentary on the original trilogy bonus disc, GL said that he wanted the swordplay with sabers to look like they "weighed a lot"...hence the two handed swordplay.

However, he made no actual claim that they DID weigh a lot...just that he wanted them to LOOK LIKE they weighed a lot.

As someone noted, Luke was able to twirl one around the first time he touched one...so the "weight" of a saber came with it's power and danger, not actual physical weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.