main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke’s Third Lesson

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Gnamnito, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Gnamnito

Gnamnito Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 23, 2017
    Didnt quite get there in VIII with material cut from official story. An intriguing occurance to continue and explore and remedy* luke as reliquary / vessel / transmitter of a legacy or of a dogma

What might it be? Luke’s third lesson?

And what might be its context?

*by remedy I mean correct the story since Luke promises tersely, sanctimoniously 3 lessons . But only officially gives 2...

2. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    It's a deleated scene. Luke tells Rey that the caretakers are being attacked and that they need to ignore it to retain balance. Instead Rey runs off to where the sound is coming from (that scene of her running on the beach with her lightsaber in the trailers) and finds that there was no attack, it's just Chewie, R2-D2 and Porgs having a party. Rey then gets angry at Luke. It was cut because they didn't want Luke to look like a bad guy.

3. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    How does that make him look bad? It's the same lesson Yoda gave him.

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They should include all scenes that remove some of the plotholes in a directors cut as long as they do not contradict the movie itself. I do not like the movie but it would make sense. Who cares if the blu ray has a runtime of 3 hrs if it makes the movie a bit more feasible.

5. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    That's what Rian said.

6. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    I can't wait for the BluRay to be released: that 3rd lesson is intriguing, indeed!

oncafar likes this.
  7. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    They still sell Blurays. Wow.

8. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015

That is so weird. I mean in general I can see his reasons, but if he's trying to make him into a more Ronin figure, and showing her that she can't always run into danger and figure out what's going on, then that needs to be in there. She's in the same place he was when he ran off from Yoda, it makes more sense.

9. Gnamnito

Jan 23, 2017
    A deleted scene isn’t a part of the movie though. I wonder if even though the deleted scene 3rd lesson is included in the extras, would JJ see that as opportunity to actually include a different 3rd and final lesson from force ghost Luke to Rey in IX

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The lesson itself may have been deleted from the movie but Luke still says he is going to give her 3 lessons. He didn't change it to 2 in the dub so there is no reason to think he didn't give it to her. We just didn't see it.

Now could JJ use that line in IX? Sure but depending on how they do things that lesson can still exist in the wider canon. It'll probably be in the novelization.

11. BucMan-55

BucMan-55 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    I thought the 3rd lesson didn't happen because of Rey/Kylo force skyping and Luke getting angry about it. Seems pretty simple to me.

Darth Nikean, hermiona52 and Gnamnito like this.
  12. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Seems like there was quite a bit cut from the Ach-To storyline. There reports of scenes shot where Rey is fighting off guys on the island. There's also the alleged scene with Rey facing off with a sea monster (we see it briefly at the beginning of the film) and the monster turning into Anakin (a la Hayden Christensen).

Gnamnito likes this.
  13. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Third Lession: Always remember to drink your ovaltine.

14. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "One of the biggest deleted scenes involves another lesson Luke Skywalker gives to Rey, taking place chronologically after they talk inside the cave where Luke mentions Darth Sidious. Rey notices boats arriving at the island and there appears to be a big fire from where they’re landing. Luke tells her that it is a group of bandits who regularly come back to the island to plunder and kill the caretakers. Rey is very concerned and wants to help them, but Luke tells her that if you help them now, the raiders will come back stronger and it will make things worse in the future. He asks Rey if she is always going to be here to protect them, saying that a true Jedi Knight would do nothing and would only act to maintain balance, even when people get hurt.

Rey, furious at his reasoning, ignites her lightsaber and runs really fast, a Force-powered run that we glimpsed in one of the featurettes about the making of the film (see the screenshot at the top of this article). She runs over rocks on shallow water and bursts through a door with her saber into the village square ready for battle. Luke yells for her to wait, but she doesn’t stop.

She is surprised to learn that it’s not a raiding party, but an actual party, with caretakers celebrating and swinging glow sticks. This piece of concept art from The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi shows what the scene looks like. The caretakers all stop and look at Rey, confused. One of the caretaker motions her her glow stick and Rey swings her lightsaber, imitating her movements, and sighs. The caretakers resume partying. Rey spots Chewbacca sitting at the party with a bunch of Porgs and R2-D2 (wearing a festive necklace). “Seriously?” Rey says to Chewie before storming out to find Luke.

Rey is mad that Luke lied to her and she confronts him. He admits that he’s sorry, but that she ran so fast and he couldn’t stop her. Rey says that she thought they were in danger and tried to do something. Luke responds, seriously this time, that that’s exactly what the resistance needs – not some old husk of a failed religion. He was again trying to teach her a lesson. Rey cries, explaining that her real friends are really dying and “that old legend of Luke Skywalker that you hate so much, I believed in it.” Luke is in shock. He realizes that he pushed her too far. Rey tells him she was wrong about believing in him and storms away.

The scene gave a further motive for Rey to want to leave the island. The caretaker party joke apparently wasn’t very funny, but the real reason the scene apparently didn’t make the final cut is that Luke ended up coming off like an even bigger *******. Even though the basic details were approved by the Lucasfilm Story Group, it somehow didn’t feel authentic to the Jedi “code”."

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-deleted-scenes/

TadoFett likes this.
  15. Gnamnito

Jan 23, 2017
    it's clear that they made a 3rd lesson, but the 3rd lesson was not included in the movie.

are deleted scenes cannon? i don't think so... which makes me wonder if it's something that JJ would see and use to his advantage, like having luke appear as a force ghost in IX and give his third lesson.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 26X Wacky Wednesday/23x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
    The default seems to be "not canon till another source references them". So, if the novelization had that scene, or the Databank made references to it, it would canonise it.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah it'll probably be in the novelization and it seems most likely the post-Legends reboot take is all deleted scenes are canon. Just ask poor Hobbie. RIP. Even though he died when they shot it in 79.

As for it not being in the movie, it sounds like a fun scene but I kind of like how Luke says "3 lessons" only 2 happen so while it may be percolating at the back of your brain they never got to #3. But, thematically, it feels like Luke's third lesson is the most important one at the end when he sacrifices himself to save the Rebellion. Maybe not what Johnson intended by cutting it but it feels like that way to me that his third lesson is his return.

Darth Nikean and Gnamnito like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    At least one deleted scene - Shaak Ti being killed by Grievous, has to be noncanon, because another deleted scene (Shaak Ti being killed by Anakin) - got referenced and thus canonised).

Hence the "needs to be referenced in order to be canonised" principle.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    True but I'm totally okay with the Grevious almost killed her, she recovered in between the assault on the invisible hand justttt enough so when Order 66 happened Vader finished the job. Very silly, though, I'll admit.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the way the old CW series handled it - Grievous won - then wrapped her up, still alive, in cables for Mace Windu to find in Palpatine's bunker.

21. Gnamnito

Jan 23, 2017
    interesting perspective. like it

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I'm waiting for the Special Edition cut on VHS.

23. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Betamax is clearly the superior format!

24. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Maybe the third lesson is in the finale of the movie but not made explicit(as in Luke saying "okay Rey, here is your third lesson.")?

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Nikean like this.