main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mars: Will Humans Ever Travel There?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by rsterling78, Sep 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    I like to think we would do it. One of the reasons why I dont' think man has gone back to the moon, simply put, was because there was 'nothing' substantial there, aside from the achievement of getting a man there and bringing him back safely.

2. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    i agree greed will push us there. but if greed doesn't do it soon enough the lack of materials her may do it as well. we keep expanding all over and using everything.
    so greed here or ther, we will get there.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The reasons the moon missions were halted were mostly political. That's very ironic considering the reason we went in the first place was actually political. Nixon was not all that interested, and he decided to fight a war instead.

Originally the moon missions were to continue, leading to a space station, which would have lead to manned Mars missions starting in the early to mid 1980's.

4. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    It's interesting to think that we could have been colonizing Mars by now.

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Since the moon missions were political and a matter of national pride, it's possible that Mars missions will occur for the same reason. If a government pushes ahead with them, it will be for this reason; they could equally well be corporately-sponspored, in which case greed will be the motive.

I wonder, though, if earth will ever again have a political situation like that which made it so important for the U.S. to get men on the moon. Has globalization rendered space exploration irrelevant?

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I wouldnt say irrelevent, I'd say it is not a priority. Two things spawn growth, competition, and cooperation. A truly global society can instigate both of these. It's just that competition seems to make such efforts more agressive, or seem so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.