main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's The Defenders

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 21, 2016.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Why couldn't Misty Knight have been the fourth Defender? She's perfect.

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Valkyrie?

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Best thing this series did for me was inspired me to go back and re-watch both seasons of Daredevil.

Exquisite. Truly Marvel's best work, anywhere and at any time.

4. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    This came up in my Facebook timeline today:

[​IMG]

I'd probably replace Claire with Colleen though. :p

5. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    No!

Misty Knight.

Rew likes this.
  6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I'd settle for her too.

Especially with the bionic arm.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, Stick was pretty much a member of the Defenders.

heels1785 likes this.
  8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Wow, so much Danny hate.

But someone's gotta be THAT guy.

4 temperaments

Choleric: Jessica
    Melancholic: Matt
    Phlegmatic: Luke
    Sanguine: Danny

Though they all trade off at different points in the story, save Luke.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, Danny was pretty much sounded like a broken record in both Iron Fist and The Defenders when he kept saying the sole purpose was to destroy the Hand. Dude, didn't know what the Hand is. I mean, he literally didn't know a member of the Hand when it was punching him in the face. Additionally, The Hand knew more about the Iron Fist than he did, and Danny spent most of his life training to be the immortal weapon.

Iron Fist was botched from the start with the miscasting of someone that is inept in martial arts and lacks charisma. The actress that plays Colleen Wing should have been cast as Dany Rand as it would have solve a lot of issues, such as the race controversy, martial arts skills, etc.

Anyway, Defenders certainly sets up a path for Danny Rand in Season 2 of Iron Fist. However, I hope season 2 of Iron Fist and Luke Cage are more of a crossover between the two characters, paving the way for Heroes for Hire. I'm sure Misty Knight will play a bigger role in Luke Cage season 2.

I would have expected Karen Paige to write an article naming the team, The Defenders or something to the effect of "these defenders of New York..." much like how Daredevil got his name.

10. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I'm not sure about Luke Cage (which will feature more Claire).

But they've already said that Misty Knight will be one of the leads in Iron Fist season 2, with Danny and Colleen.

11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm surprised they can keep going with these shows. it felt like they had about ten dollars to make the defenders.

a star war likes this.
  12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Makes sense as it looks like they're going to spin out Daughters of the Dragon.

[​IMG]

That's why they can keep making these shows. It's like Blumhouse Studio churning out all those horror flicks for ten bucks.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

$20.

Iron Filings paid $10 to be in it.

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Is there more about the "Five Fingers" in Iron Fist (or Luke Cage)? I didn't watch those series and I was pretty lost concerning their story.
    1) Why did they follow Sigourney Weaver?
    2) Why was she dying and not the others?

Concerning Elektra
    1) She played pretty clueless until the final episode. How long was she "playing"?
    a) Was it the entire time or did she get her entire memory back when she slept in Matt's bed?

Final note:
    Did anyone else find it weird how much Luke and Jessica were flirting when I assumed that Luke was with Claire?

15. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    She's dying because she has a disease.

16. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    She got her full memory back when she slept in Matt's bed. They actually show a flashback of Mattt waking her up back in Daredevil season 2. This is her remembering that.
    This is to show she got her memories back.

From dialogue, it seems Sigourney was the one who first led the hand co-up against the elders of K'uylin.

All five needed the "substance" to continue veiny immortal, but they run out. Bakuto justbused the last of his when he came back to life after Iron Fist.

But Sigourney used the last big portion of that they all had to return Elektra to life.

That's why the others were pissed.

Sigourney herself was dying, probably because she was probably dying of disease in her first life before she found the substance. But that's just me guessing.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    There were no references to the "Five Fingers" of the Hand in either Luke Cage or Iron Fist. IIRC, there wasn't any mention of the Hand in Luke Cage as it focused on the neighborhood crime boss, Cottonmouth and his corrupt cousin, councilwoman Mariah Dillard, and then in the final act Diamondback.

Alexandra, Sigourney Weaver's character, was having massive organ failures most likely caused by old age/deteriorating body. Thus, telling Madame Gao to move up the timetable to get the "substance" as pointed out above by cerealbox.

I was really hoping there would be a scene like this in The Defenders where Elektra is leading an army of Hand Ninjas against the Defenders.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it felt like they introduced the "five fingers" so that they could basically have five madame gaos and then have a bunch of "boss deaths", then in the end still only have one madame gao.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I honestly think they did it so the Hand wasn't a pure Japanese evil ninja cult, like in the comics.

Because you know, racial undertones. Especially since only Colleen is Asian. While the 4 primary Defenders are 3 whites and 1 black.

Those 4 vs all Japanese ninja evil guys. Yeah, that would not go well for modern audiences.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and tom like this.
  20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that also makes sense.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I know a lot of people hate the Iron Fist series because of Danny Rand, but since my only experience with both Danny and Colleen is the Defenders series, I must say that Colleen was pretty annoying and poorly acted.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I like the thought, but it was pretty much established in the two seasons of Daredevil (moreso in season 2) that the Hand Ninjas were Japanese.

[​IMG]

And if IIRC, Goa was established to have her own cult/crew and hinted that she was Mother Crane. It was only in Iron Fist when it was shown that Gao was a member of the Hand.

Yeah, if you watched Iron Fist your opinion would have changed. Danny Rand was the worse thing about Iron Fist.

23. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    She's better in the Iron Fist series just as how Misty is better in the Luke Cage series.

Reason being they are those series deuteragonist. While in Defenders, they're not.

They had to find some way to have Colleen stay out of the 4 Defenders way, since she has more reason to fight the Hand than even Danny or Matt.

Thus the writers keep taking her away from the primary action in Defenders, and she seems whiny as a result.

Unlike Claire, the audience surrogate, who knows this whole thing is ridiculous, but just goes with the flow.

24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Colleen was my favorite part of Iron Fist.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    So since I'm done with the Defenders, should I give Iron Fist a shot?