main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Meeting-Report: Paris 25th-27th of July

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by Skiara , Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Here is my report of the meeting in Paris. Thanks to Julia, who checked it, so there shouldn't be too many mistakes! ;) :)

The best and worst meeting ever!

The FanForce meeting in Paris from 25th - 27th July 2003 was so eventful that I just wasn't able to fit everything into one meeting report. So I made two. Enjoy. ;)

The meeting was horrible. We had so much bad luck, it's unbelievable.

Right at the beginning, on the way to our hostel, Julia?s wallet was stolen. She lost everything: Money, identity card, driver?s licence, credit card and so on.
    We went to the police station immediately, but the officers weren?t exactly helpful, as they didn?t speak a single word of English, not to mention German. An American girl who was there to report a theft herself had to translate for us.

After that, we went to the hostel. The rooms were very small and dirty, the beds were uncomfortable, and there was no wardrobe to store our clothes.

Most of us booked together, so we could sleep in one room. (Well, two rooms ? one for the guys, one for the girls. ;)) But Jean, our honorary member, was supposed to sleep in another room full of strangers, most of them male.
    Of course we couldn?t leave her there! Our two couples offered to share a bed for one night each, and Jean gratefully accepted.
    So Flo and I squeezed into one of the (very narrow) beds together?it surely didn?t look comfortable!
    For the others, the night was not much better. The bunk beds were so instable that every time someone moved, the person above resp. below could feel the bed swing.

We hadn?t had any food all day, except for a small sandwich on the plane. So we were quite hungry? but of course, it was late, and restaurants were already closed.
    After searching for a while, we found a McDonald?s ? not exactly the famous French cuisine that we had wanted to try. :(

You?d think that?s enough bad things for one day, but it wasn?t over yet.

By now, it was way past midnight, and we wanted to get some sleep. But unfortunately, there was a party in the hall underneath our room. And the walls were very thin, so we could hear just about everything. Suffice to say that most of us didn?t get much sleep that night.

Things could only get better on the next day. Or so we thought. :p

The meeting with the FanForcers from France and Sweden was scheduled for nine o?clock in the morning at the Eiffel Tower, so we got up quite early. The breakfast at the hostel was yet another let-down: A single piece of bread for each person, some bad (and I mean bad) coffee and tea and a single jar of strawberry jam on the table - that was all?

Now it was finally time to meet the others. And here, the first good thing happened ? people were actually really nice! :)
    The French FanForcers had arranged a program and acted as tour guides for us. Unfortunately, we were still ill-fated? it rained heavily all day long. So the view from top of the Eiffel Tower was quite blurred, and everything looked gray and unfriendly. :(

For dinner, the French had booked a restaurant for all of us. But we were so wet from all the rain that we decided to go back to the hostel and change clothes first.

At the hostel, the next bad surprise was waiting for us: We had to leave immediately! :eek:
    The hostel staff had messed up when we checked in: We had to pay for one night only, and told us that the other night had already been charged by credit card ? but she was wrong. So the rest of the staff assumed that we wanted to stay for one night only, and gave our rooms to others. Of course, our luggage was still in the rooms! The new guests had thrown everything on the floor, to make room for their own stuff. We hope we didn?t lose anything in this chaos!

Now that we had picked up our stuff, the real problems began: Where to stay for the night? In the middle of the summer holidays, on the weekend of the finale of the Tour de France, and without any knowledge of the French language, it was pretty much impossible to find a room in another hostel.
    The hostel

2. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Sure, blame the errors on me! :p ;)

Great report. :D Thanks for writing it up. :)

3. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    lol I dont think it was you because the bad luck for me carried on after you left :_|

Other than all the bad luck it was a good meet ;) :D

4. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Same here, Jean...

But still, I've got to agree with you. :) It was great. :D

5. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    At least my bad luck seems to have stopped now **holds a second to see if the computer crashes** no seems fine ;)

As for Düsseldorf I'll be there, also some people from my board look like they will go :)
    Just hope for better luck next time ;)

6. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Cool! :)

Well, it can't get worse, can it? ;)

7. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It can't be so worse! ;)

But if it will be such a great meeting again... I don't know! ;) :D

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
  9. MARCOLAS

MARCOLAS FF France North CR - FanForce Logo Designer star 6

Apr 3, 2001
    Sacré Coeur :p
    Good job Sabine, thanks for writing it :) ;)

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Julia's wallet was stolen!!!! :eek:

I'd love to get my hands on those responsible, so I can put my foot up their ***. :mad:

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/kickintheass.gif]

11. Kendra

Kendra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    God job ! nice report ! héhéh I write from work (I'll have nothing to do during one whole month it seems, I just answer a few calls, open the gates and... that's all, boring but quite well paidf for what I do !)
    How are you in Germany, has Julia news for new papers ands cards ?

12. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Hey Elisa! :)

I applied for a new identity card and driver's license today. :) It'll take around four weeks till I get them, but I can still drive a car in the meantime. ;)

It's quite expensive, though! :eek: 70? just for the driver's license!!

Thanks Marc, I'll correct that. :D

Edited. Hope you don't mind, Sabine. :)

13. Kendra

Oct 4, 2001
    70? !!!!!!!! they must be joking... grrrr :mad: it's exagerated....

14. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Yeah, but what can I do? :( I need it...

The ID was just 13?, though. :)

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, that's good. :)

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    It's really ok, Julia! :) Thanks! :)

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Oh, I hadn't heard about your bad luck on the Friday. :eek:

18. MARCOLAS

Apr 3, 2001
    Skiara - "most talkative of the GSFF" (Meeting in Paris)"
    I agree with that :p

19. Kendra

Oct 4, 2001
    Obi Anne could you send me a PM con links to your costumes ? :) I'm eager to see what you made (and wore !) afetr all yu told me about this

20. MARCOLAS

Apr 3, 2001
    "con links ?"
    English and spanish together in the same sentence ? :p [face_laugh]

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Ok, here's the page where I keep the updates of my picnic-dress, for the last con that I was to I made a budget-version. For my membership in the Rebel Legion I used the blue Tatooine dress. :)

22. Kendra

Oct 4, 2001
    the blue dress is perfect ! :) really nice.
    Didn't you make the black corset and dark skirt ?

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    No, I haven't done that one, I don't really have a figure for that dress.

24. Baltic_herring

Baltic_herring Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2002
    Well, I was very afraid about that hostel. One of reasons I couldn't not join the party. Biggest problem was my health during those days. Aloha has got the worst rating on net, but hey! -What to expect with that price!

Did you guys / girls go into EuroDisney or did you have a trip into "Star Wars shop" located on boulevard Saint Germain? Near musèe de Cluny.

I hope JediCon will be the meet where I can also participate. [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.