main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update for August 23, 2006

Discussion in 'Communications' started by HanSolo29 , Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Well said, Roo. Makes me really glad I didn't post there in that thread now, to see that it was actually all a fake. I read through the entire thread and just felt terrible for his family. That's the funny thing about this form of communication. We tend to forget more often than not, that someone else is on the other side of the screenname. Out of curiosity how does one go about investigating something like this, especially if the person mentioned really was dead?

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I've long learned to not be shocked by anything that happens on message boards. But what happened here, the cynical abuse of trust that has gone on, does kind of shock of me! How someone could be *that* nasty. :(

3. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    katzenjammer!

bburditt truly is awesome.

4. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    What a horrible stunt bburd and his friends pulled. It truly is dispicable to do that. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

5. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    I'm not so sure anymore. Why I was friends with this guy, I don't know.

6. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I hope the punishments are delt out as harshly as they have been in the past.

I read the thread last night, and while I didn't post, I had a conversation about it, and it just generally depressed me.

I cannot understand what motivates people to want to do something like this, where many people are fooled and feel genuine sympathy and loss. A thread that can make people cry with its faked goodbyes is not funny... not at all.

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Well, one thing that's almost funny is watching everyone go from "aww what a great guy, he was a stand-up fellow who could never do anything wrong, he did so much for the boards, we will miss him deeply, etc. etc. etc." to "omg who could stoop so low as to pull something like that, what a mean inconsiderate jerk, etc. etc. etc.".

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It's sickening because it pulled at the hearts of the entire community

Speak for yourself.

9. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    I remember that something like this was faked years ago on the JC. Some person said she had some terminal illness and was going to die. It really upset me as a kid, so my heart goes out to all of the poeple that had their emotions twisted like that. I'm kinda glad that I'm blissfully ignorant at times. ;)

10. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    You're right of course, rhonderoo...but I really did lose a relative to cancer and for this to be a hoax and to express my condolences as I did it does make me a bit cynical for such things in the future...I know this case is an exception to the norm, but I can never be quite sure again.

11. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Just because I need to express my disgust somewhere...

I saw the thread in the JCC last night and hesitated on the side of caution before posting my condolences in case something like this would happen. I felt awful about it yesterday, but quite possibly worse today despite my cynical expectations.

[:D] to those of you who have had your trust broken just a tad.

*venting over*

12. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I go away for a couple of days and apparently someone pulls a hoax! I miss all the fun stuff. :( :p

13. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The sad thing is that this is not the first time this has happened and I fear it won't be the last. To the one writing it and those who support it, it's a joke that may have a lifespan of a day or two. But what it does to the boards lasts a lot longer. That's where I become very displeased. As was mentioned earlier, it breeds cynicism and we tend not to believe the threads when we see them. The one thing the youth and the world doesn't need anymore of is cynicism. I'd rather see more truth being told, confidence in our fellow man, and just treating everyone with respect. I find that unfortunate that so often this is no longer the case. We have lost people for real here and through Fan Force and life in general, we know them and have friendships with them. Losing them hurts and the whole experience of going through it changes you. It stays with you in some way, every day, forever. To see someone you know directly or have come to know on the boards have someone announce they've passed away of course draws sympathy, prayers, love, and support. Nobody appreciates that being cast around like some passing, fleeting thing. It means something when said and I hate it thoroughly when people do things in life like that and treat members of the boards that way. It's an automatic permanent ban from here, including anyone who helped. I have no sympathy for it. Actually, I have sympathy for the one's involved in it because life really is a precious thing. Though it's a joke to them, I feel sorry for them. There are so many better ways to make a joke than insinuating a life has ended at such a young age, presenting to us a tragedy.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I just saw the thread in YJCC and I think I can see now why so many were disgusted by the actions and I, too am disgusted by it. I agree with DS' post above. Very well said.

15. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    [image=http://www.manumilitari.net/wp-image/the.colbert.report.10.17.05.StonePhillips.pdtv.SoS_0001.jpg]

And that brings us to tonights word;

DarthSapient!

Now I can agree that it is not cool to make fun of death. Many people throughout history have tried it. I am sure Sam Kinnison is laughing somewhere right now.

~In Flames.

Now the actions of bburdit or however it is spelled strike at something deeper.

~The reason to hang around here?

Do not get me wrong. Death is not funny!

~We all laughed when the coyote plunged to his death each and every Saturday morning!

Bburditt wanted to go out in a blaze of glory and that is what he did. It was distasteful, it was sad, it made people believe in something that was untrue from the start.

~Iraq has WMD's

But it is important that we all move on from this. That is why DarthSapient is the head admin.

~Possibly George Bush Himself.

And that is why HE is tonights word!

:D

16. Zas

Zas Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 8, 2000
    Obese-Wan Kenobi? That's one of my first memories of this place, heh.

17. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    I honestly don't remember the username, just what happened, how old I was, and how upset I got at it. I think I came downstairs crying once and my mom wanted to know what happened. I'm sure she wanted to keep me off of here after that. [face_batting] That worked well, didn't it?

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [image=http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bsa25/images/DrFrankenstein.jpg]

"He's aliiiiiiiiiiive, he's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!"

19. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    this is LOL

:)

gawd, i love the intrawebs

FF

20. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Did he even have throat cancer?

21. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    From what I understand, George, yes he did. That was why we gave this the benefit of the doubt in the first place.

22. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Just jumping in to say after reading all this, I'm not sure that I believe the throat cancer mention, even. It's contra-indicated in someone of his age (22, wasn't it?). It would be a statistically rare case if it was true. Jumping back out, now.

23. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    That said, I think that people should be cognizant of a simple fact. In 6 years here I've lost track of the number of "lost JCC member" threads we've had (somewhere around 20 I think, I'm not counting ones like Breezy's where it was a family member/friend) and in all that time I've only known of 2 of them that have actually been true.

So as much as it is a sad statement on current times and humanity in general, unless you can see something confirmed by multiple people with longstanding known real world associations with a member of the forums keep a bag of salt beside you when reading such threads.

Edit:
    Less likely, but cancer by its very nature can defy expectations. We see cases at work every now and then that are the statistical anomaly and we're only a small lab.

24. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    In this thread, a poster claims another poster has died, and is given comedy points by a mod. Double standards somewhere methinks.

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    A quick in joke about a 'ferreting accident' is much different from making a 'This user has passed' thread....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.