main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit More Legacy EU Books?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MartyAvidianus, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Honestly if I had to choose between YJK/NJO and the movies I would take the books without a doubt.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Well people can say that all they want but the simple fact is that we are getting new movies now. Something we weren't getting back then when the EU was going strong. I'll take a universe full of new movies and tv shows over a universe without regular movies and tv shows any day and every day.

Given that at its core Star Wars is a visual medium and most of Star Wars fans became fans because of the films I'd say most others would prefer a universe with a regular dosage of movies in it as well.

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    In a film universe it's doomed to be small. In a book/comic/game universe it can be a truly large universe. With films taking the center stage the other stories are handicapped. I prefer mass amounts of stories over "visual entertainment".

Lord Sith Harloxzz and Daneira like this.
  4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    While it is true that when a book series takes place within a film and tv show universe than those books will always have to adhere to the films and won't be able to explore new territory on their own unless they are allowed to do so. That still however is not a very good argument for not having films in my opinion.

In the long run probably one of the biggest factors that brought down the EU was that it didn't have those films to keep it grounded. While people may complain about constantly having to line things up with the films. The films at the same time are a good way to keep the structure going.

I mean already you can see a structure in place that the EU could have only dreamed of having. Probably a good portion of the next five years will be spent filling in the gap between ROTJ and TFA. Exploring all the main characters and explaining how they got to where they were in TFA.

Then they can start telling stories from the Old Republic era or the post ST era (filling in the gaps between the ST and whenever the next saga trilogy takes place).

5. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    That's the problem, IMO. The NUEU is absolutely stuck in the OT. Filling it out more and more. I don't like it. The EU progressed through the years giving us new stories and keeping us interested. With the NUEU we already know what will happen for the most part with all the books leading up to TFA. No surprises. Not my cup of tea. I don't think having the books "grounded" is a good thing. The EU was daring and controversial. It wasn't afraid to give us new ideas. Imagine if the PT had nothing new or daring, and functioned more like Marvel's prediction of the PT. The PT had to be original! I hold the EU to the same standards.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, I would much rather give the books the space to triumph or fail on their own merits, then have them be slaves to the direction of the films, and a boring and pessimistic direction at that. Wedge Antilles means so much to me, because of the way the EU developed him, and now that is gone. TFA has boxed them into such a boring and pessimistic direction, all so they could remake the OT. The Heroes of Yavin triumphed throughout the OT for what, so they proceed to accomplish nothing and be separated, eventually permanently, and create a government that doesn't deserve the name. Star Wars deserves so much better than that.

7. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    . . . Did you miss the part of the EU where they all admit that the New Republic failed, then created a new government that tried to hunt them down? The EU was intensely pessimistic.

8. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    LOTF and FOTJ lacked direction (in the same direction) does that make sense? If someone want to go to Canada from the US, they aren't supposed to go from El Paso to Omaha, and then to Phoenix, to Mexico City, Chichuahua, only to go to Fort Lauderdale and then at last to Toronto.
    That's what happened with LOTF and FOTJ. Rotating Authors was a disaster. Trilogies with author A, series with Author B, but never do Trilogy author A, B, and C, or Series AAA, BBBB, and C or something like that.
    We need series AAAAAAAAAAAAAA or BBB. Same direction man. We need people to know where Star Wars is headed.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Which is exactly what is happening now.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The failure of the New Republic was my primary complaint with the NJO, which actually worked fairly well, until it was turned up to eleven in the post-NJO.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  11. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    We can agree that there are some novels/comics in the Legend series some people don't like
    We can also agree that there are some novels/comics in the new disney series some people don't like.
    The series themselves don't have to be mutually exclusive, do they?
    This thread should not be Legend bashing or Disney new canon bashing but an attempt to let Disney keep publishing new material under the legend banner.

Edit:
    For Force's sakes I need to know what happens to Tahiri Veila. I don't even care if they turned her into a buglover bent on Killik domination and marry Zekk and then start their own adoption agency for Hapan orphans. I just need to know man.

Daneira likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Same here-the Vong truly were a wonderful and unique addition to the SW universe.

One thing that saddens me is the amount of misinformation about them-they have been called a "hive mind" one EU bashing author called them this-he clearly had never even touched on of the books. A YouTube channel that does good SW videos called them generic nineties alien villains-despite having claimed to have recently read the series.

This sort of misinformation prevents casual readers and those interested in the EU from exploring and appreciating the NJO.

13. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    If anything is hive mind it's the killiks. I have no idea why anyone would think vong are hive mind. At most evil it is a cult bent on pain and suffering. and there were variations such as jeedai heresy, so it's not generic. Okay, it may be from the 90s (NJO publication date?)

The thing about vong is that they kind of hurt people because some of fans have grown up with the young jedi books and identified with some of that class of Jedi graduates. In an indirect way the when Mezhan Kwaad shaped Tahiri, Tahiri fans were hurting along
    edit: when people read Tahiri failed to destroy Riina and bonded her into a different stronger individual, some of them may have felt betrayed. I know I did. and I didn't even read any of the young jedi books.

So in their eyes it was unforgivable that the Galaxy at large some how forget and forgave the vong.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The yammosks made the coralskippers into a hive mind. But not to the extent of the Killiks

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, that depends on when and where. The EU was for the most part optimistic about what lay ahead for the heroes and allowed them to build a significant legacy -- it was only at the end that everything crumbled. If you cut out the post-NJO, the EU was a hopeful place, a depiction of the heroes accomplishing something meaningful.

As opposed to the new canon, which built itself right from the beginning on the heroes failing and has no way to recover from it.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    So you assume Rey, Finn, and Poe are going to fail? I know you are talking about the main characters from the OT but Lucas dropped the ball on that by closing up shop after ROTJ and not continuing their story.

17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    If one looks at the EU as a whole it does border on the dystopian Stazi actually acknowledges this in the Essential Guide to Warfare-governments don't last forever, and war is eternal.

18. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    In the grim dark future of X ABY, there is only war?

19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016

Indeed a Warhammer 40K tone became prevalent in the EU's later years.

20. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Look it at this way
    If we have the force awakens already, then there would be no point in a film / book for Luke starting his academy which got slaughtered.
    I mean in rogue one we know jyn erso was going to succeed on her mission and yet die. So there was no stake to look at for character growth, etc, there is no omg! will they succeed or not? Will the empire get there death star plan back will rebel alliance die in its crib?
    when the novel anthology book for luke's academy gets released, (sure thing), I'm not going to get attached to disney Tahiri, Tenel Ka, or Zekk, or Kyp, because they'll either get slaughtered when Kylo Ren attack / join Kylo Ren, or MIA. (never forget).
    what's the point except for heartache or glutton for punishment? ok, x-wings killing tie fighters and evil guys get killed made some good experience at the theaters, but how many people are willing to read Tahiri gets shaped again and again and again?

21. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    As someone who much prefers Canon to Legends, I find the contrasts in what people want out of the books/comics fascinating.

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, it's not recoverable in the sense that there is no story that can be written that will make Han Solo not have been murdered by his son after having broken up with Leia. There's no story where they reconcile. There's no story where Luke's entire Jedi class didn't get slaughtered and he packed up and abandoned his family and friends. The biggest damage is already done.

23. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    Like or not, the franchise has gone in a different direction and, if you really don't like it, what is to be gained with sticking with something you no longer enjoy?

Lady_Misty likes this.
  24. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Are you advising dissatisfied fans to leave the franchise?

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016

The writer(had some sort of pseudonym don't know his name) considered them analogous to say the aliens in Independence day-which was downright insulting-he either was ignorant or he was assuming his readers were.

A major Star Wars youtube channel compared the NJO to nineties and eighties black and white(morality) movies with generic bad guys. And the guy had just recently claimed to have read the series(they produce some pretty cool content by the way so I was more than a little disappointed).

This sort of misinformation is very damaging-a lot of criticism of the NJO is based in ignorance or limited information.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.