main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mortal Kombat

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by aPPmaSTer, Sep 6, 2006.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Nice pics.

I noticed that Helo was playing Stryker lol. Seven of Nine looks like she is starting to age now, although Ive never really seen her without that Borg getup on her face.

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'd say Mortal Kombat has a ton of movie potential just based off the first game... why do I say this? Besides the crazy chi fireball fantasy stuff and the cyborg... it's essentially Enter The Dragon. It was a rip off of a movie. When I want a more realistic version of Mortal Kombat I just watch Enter The Dragon.

Bruce Lee is the best Liu Kang ever.

If I want a Mortal Kombat movie, I want the over the top sfx and fantasy stuff. That's what makes it Mortal Kombat. Otherwise it's just GI JOE and Enter the Dragon mish mash.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it has been a decade+ since Voyager ended, so, people are allowed to age ;).

4. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    True, true...and she is still hawt!

5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I got the impression Reptile was just a vermin creature that got trapped in the paracite armor, so there could be lots of them out in the wastelands...

MK1 was a damn decent flick. Not a filLLLlm. A flick. Light. Entertaining. Worked.
    MK2 was an abomination. Not as bad as some (Highlander 3,4,5,6...) but far worse than it had any right to be. Swapping Christopher Lambert for Ray Park might have been OK, if they were... OK, it was a bad choice. Sure Ray Park can do the martial arts, but his voice didn't have the gravitas.

DOA wasn't a total waste as a movie. They even included a volleyball scene.

I wouldn't mind a good MK3 movie. But I'll be waiting for the DVD.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, James Remar was Raiden- Ray Park was only the stunt/martial arts double for James.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    OK.

Well.
    Fine.
    Put me in my place there. ;)

Still need to put someone with real vocal gravitas in the role. Not sure Ray Park has that.

8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I always thought Lambert was horrible as Raiden.. but I don't really like Christopher Lambert either.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lambert was very unexpected in that role. He brought some gravitas to it while also bringing that weird sense of humor to the character, which was quite memorable.

He wasn't the angry roaring character from the games, but he was a good take on the character.

Remar did some ok things with the part in the sequel, but he couldn't bring the same sense of humor- though he came across more fatherly, which fit the "we're family" theme of the movie.

But then, the sequel was really all about Brian Thompson's Shao Kahn.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  11. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Wow that was really short... wish they hadnt of shown 1 mins worth of what happened last week.

Still that was pretty cool. How many of these is there going to be?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 1 will be 10 episodes. There's been talk about what content will be in Season 2 (Liu Kang & Kung Lao).

We can apparently look forward to seeing, in Season 1, Scorpion, Rayden, Kitana, Cyrax, Sektor, Baraka, Shao Khan, Queen Sindel, Shang Tsung, Johnny Cage and Sub Zero.

Also, it seems episodes will be set at different times- episodes will be set either before MK1 or just after, but never past MK2 (this will explain the cyber-ninjas, despite that process not happening until after the events of MK1).

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I d have to rewatch the movies as Id have no clue what would come before and after and what not. lol its been way to long since I watched them. I ll have to see if I can dig em up here online somewhere.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I believe he's referring to the story of the games- Legacy has no relation to the previous films or TV shows. But in the backstory of the games, the cyber-ninja stuff didn't happen until after/during MK2- Cyraz and Sektor don't show up until MK3 and Smoke is human in MK2 but cyber in ML3).

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode 3 is up!

All it's missing is a shadow kick ;).

I'm guessing that's Shang Tsung at the end? If so, well, he's no Cary, but I'll give him a chance.

16. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I liked it. Why was it edited though? I enjoyed hearing Helo drop Fbombs in those 1st 2.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it was an intentional meta-humor thing: Cage is a TV star, and you'll note that this episode alone opens with a TV-14 rating logo, thus it's restricted to TV-14 level censorship.

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah I was thinking that might be a in joke thing but then one of the guys in there dropped the P word. lol

19. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Loved seeing David Nykl in the 3rd episode!

As someone who has no prior knowledge of the games or movies, I am really enjoying these episodes even though they are a bit too brief.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode 4 Online!

This time, it's the backstory to Kitana and Mileena.

Really liking this, despite the obvious limited budget (and seeing Kahn without his mask is odd for some reason- despite Brian Thompson's mostly maskless performance in MKA).

21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I feel like they want to make his helmet, like, a battle thing. After all, this is a "realistic" take, and I can't see why anyone would wear that around the house.

22. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I thhougt that one was rather strange but remember Im not in the least bit knowledged in MK anylonger. I did like the Anime touch alot.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I was wondering what was taking so long for you to put this one up Quest....

Anyway, Im really liking the anime parts in these last 2. Im guessing that everyone from all these epi will prob meet up in the season finale???

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Some probably will. They've said these all take place before or between the events of the first 2 games, so this might remain something of an anthology for a bit for certain characters, unless they cover flashes to the actual tournament.