main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Most underrated contributor to the Star Wars saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by royalguard96, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Colin Skeaping.

Who is that you ask?

Mark Hamill's stunt double in Return of the Jedi.

He doesn't get much credit except in the "Making of Return of the Jedi" book, which is out of print and only available at the library or used bookstores.

He did the dangerous stunts in the movie.

2. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Nick Gillard is staying on for Ep III as far as I know - it's Doug Chiang who isn't going to be back. :(

3. baggles

baggles Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Is there really a such thing as an underrated contributor to SW??

What company has promoted behind the scenes people more than Lucasfilm??

4. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    LittleJedi: Yes I heard that as well, and it's a shame because I think Doug really captured the spirit of the GFFA during the pre-Empire time though his designs.

I heard something about Nick Gillard possibly directing a film of his own next summer, when prinicple photography is scheduled for on Ep. 3. Maybe I just dreamed it LOL

5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Myself.

I contributed by watching. Where's my award! 8-}

6. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    A thought? Anyone?

7. stardreg

stardreg Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2002
    I would have to agree it is Gary Kurtz, also. (along Gloria Katz on Star Wars), but if you notice that the two most appreciated (fan-loved) films are Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back. Why? Because these are the films which Gary had the most say, the most influence, the most input, but when ROTJ comes along, both he and Lucas are going through a divorce, and Kurtz's role as a producer is diminished, plus he was tired of Star Wars after this. And what happens? We have the hateful Ewoks, Leia becomes Luke's sister, we have (gasp) ANOTHER Death Star.

I think if Kurtz had been on the ball, thrown himself into the works, voiced his opinions louder, stood up to Lucas, more like he did in STar Wars and Empire, we may have had an entirely different movie... a movie fans would've loved.

Without Kurtz's help, look at the prequels now. Fans are torn, storylines are dubious, characters don't interact like they did in the originals, concepts are lost, or they're just simply lousy.

Yes, yes, I know, this is mostly opinion, but just ask yourself, why, after Kurtz left ROTJ (in a diminished role) do the films suffer or lack in quality?

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy these films. I own the DVD's, I buy the toys, but I think Kurtz had a bigger hand in the original success of this franchise....

8. Howard_Kazanjian

Howard_Kazanjian Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2002
    Kurtz didn't actually have ANY role on Jedi.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The fans. SW is nothing without us.

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. stardreg

stardreg Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2002
    For long time, I was under the impression that he was, but now I have read the interview IGN Insider had on him, and now I'm convinced more than ever of his influence and his yin to Lucas' yang improved the movies he was involved in.

11. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    Irvin Kershner, Empire director and the man who knew that we didn't have to see EVERYTHING in the Wampa cave (I HATE that SE alteration).

I agree with most of what's been said, especially Ben Burtt and Gary Kurtz.

12. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Awww, my old thread got some more responses [face_love]

I'd hardly agree with the assertment that fans didn't like ROJ. It's my favorite of the OT, and I know many people on the boards feel the same way.

As a producer, Gary Kurtz should really have had no influence on the story. That isn't his job. His job is to make the production run smoothly, on time and within budget, and he failed at all 3, especially on ESB, which was grossly overbudget when it wrapped. Rick McCallum has been a successful producer in terms of making those 3 things work well ont he prequels so far. He happens to share Lucas' vision of what the story should be, which is nice, but shouldn't affect his job terribly one way or the other.

Lawrence Kasdan would be the man who'd have creative input along with Lucas, as co-writer. I'm sure Kershner and Marquand also had some creative input on their respective films, but from all reports, Lucas overruled Marquand on a number of things on Jedi. Kershner seemed to be given a good deal of freedom on ESB, and he made wonderful use of it.

solojones: Good point, but we as fans pretty much outnumber all those other people, so we have an advantage ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.