main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Movies] But _____, this isn't a movie!

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by solojones, Feb 24, 2012.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Is there anything more annoying than when a character in a movie or TV show earnestly insists to their friend/family member/lover that they can't do something because "this isn't a movie/tv show"? Unless it's being said by Abed or someone from the Scream series, it serves no purpose other than to point out that this is, in fact, a movie or TV show and that the screenwriter just thinks she/he is more clever than all other writers before them because this time, this scenario will be portrayed realistically, just you watch!

What are your favorite instances of someone in a film/show uttering these words, only to have it completely ruin the suspension of disbelief in the scene?

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThisIsReality

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThisIsReality

4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
  5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Son of a...

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Lol. Yeah I know it's a TV Trope. Everything's a TV Trope. Stop trying to make me waste my afternoon on that site. It's just that I happen to be particularly not fond of this trope.

For instance, I was just watching the Doctor Who episode "Curse of the Black Spot", and it really annoyed me that Rory tells Amy he is a nurse and can tell her how to do CPR (fine), but then does not tell her and instead just reassures her that it's just like she's seen in movies (!). Tsk, Moffat.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I just think of every instance as a clever shout-out to Shakespeare. This has the added bonus of making scripts seem somewhat smarter than they actually are.

8. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Ah yes...the scene where I actually *felt* Star Wars die.

[image=http://i.ytimg.com/vi/rwlNUYjkg4o/0.jpg]
    "You're a Jedi! I'm a Senator! This is real life!"

9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I've heard of of scene in Firefly where a character says something sounds like it's from science fiction, only to be reminded that's he's currently aboard a spaceship.

Proof that I think Joss Whedon isn't as clever as he thinks he is.

10. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    What? That line is hilarious.

11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Can we use this thread to discuss tropes we're not fond of?

One I'm not fond of is how in movies set sometime in the past, they make references to couples that separate or trends that won't last very long. Like for example, that bit in the The Wedding Singer where that one lady makes references to Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson and Prince Charles and Princess Diana being good couples who will last or something. We get it, they got divorced, okay?

I just hate this "we people in the present know better" thing screenwriters like to drag out.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm happy to say that I haven't yet been to this TV Trope site, and don't plan on it. I really miss, though, the old Jump The Shark site.

:p

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

13. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm with luigi. one of the few times i think it works because there wasn't really any gravitas to the scene in the first place.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree that the line is amusing, but it becomes less so if you think about it. :p In the Firefly universe, humans have traveled in spacecraft for... what? Probably centuries at the least. Their science fiction wouldn't portray such a thing as fantastical or hypothetical or whatever, and people certainly wouldn't think of space travel that way. It doesn't make much sense unless ancient sci-fi is really popular or the characters are somewhat aware that they're on TV.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, but Wash totally looks like the type of guy who would be into old sci-fi stories. He's just probably doesn't see the spaceships in those stories as the sci-fi element.