main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive My SW drawings **UPDATED JAN. 5**

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DarthShona, May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Oiy! I managed to miss another update! *smacks forehead* :oops:

Anyway...

Shona, you are indeed on a big drawing spurt! It's really great to see so many new drawings from you at one time! And of course, any update by you would not be complete without a Darth Vader drawing of some sort. [face_mischief]

The first one was a very touching scene for me in the film. It portrays, for me, the last time Anakin/Vader actually expressed love for someone until Luke comes along. You captured the essence of the moment perfectly. What I really admire about all of your drawings - not just this one(although it's quite prominant here), is your ability to keep the same amount of detail in the background as you do in the characters and other objects in the foreground. It really sets off your drawings and makes them appear even more realistic.

As for your second one - I love that pose Vader is in. I haven't seen anything relating to 'Darth Vader - the Ultimate Guide', but this drawing is beautiful. I love how you used different shades of black to convey shadow and detail - especially in his cape. It really appears to flow and the creases and folds are done beautifully.

Excellent update! =D=

2. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    And of course, any update by you would not be complete without a Darth Vader drawing of some sort.

Yup! Otherwise it just wouldn't be me! ;)

The first one was a very touching scene for me in the film. It portrays, for me, the last time Anakin/Vader actually expressed love for someone until Luke comes along.

I totally agree--I can't believe so many people bash that scene. They don't seem to understand that Vader's really not a mechanical monster, but a human. But that's getting into a whole other board lol...

As for your second one - I love that pose Vader is in.

I do too! The minute my Vader Guide came in the mail and I opened it, I thought to myself, "Okay, I gotta draw this one!"

You can't really tell what he's thinking about; whether he's regretting the things he's done (killing Padmé, the Younglings, joining Palpy, etc.) or looking at Captain Needa on the floor choking to death lol. :p

I love how you used different shades of black to convey shadow and detail - especially in his cape. It really appears to flow and the creases and folds are done beautifully.

Thanks! With this one, I used only my 6B pencil. It's kinda rare for me to use just one for a single drawing.

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, my...these last two are fantastic, DarthShona!! Amazing detailing, beautiful depiction of light and shadow (I still don't know how you do that with so much black!), beautiful capture of emotion.

The "NOOOOOO!" drawing took me right back to that moment in the film, when Anakin/Vader is overcome with grief and rage, while Palpatine looks on with his own evil delight (I so wanted to just strangle the old freak at that point!)... I can't get over the detail you always manage to render, particularly in the backgrounds--the perspectives, light light and shadows...awesome! And Palpy, with his hands sort of twitching with satisfaction--he'd finally destroyed what might have been left of Anakin at that point (again--strangle!)...

The "Pensive Vader" is gorgeous--I agree with Han completely, that it's very evocative. The first thing I thought when I saw that pose was that he was standing over Padme's grave and yes--thinking about what he'd done, and what he had pledged to do for the rest of his unnatural life... :_| Fantastic drapery in his robe, and I just love the way it's sort of pooling on the ground at the back--really gives it a heavy and supple feel.

Two beautiful pieces (and yeah, it seems a lot of us are on a "drawing tear" lately--isn't it grand??!! [face_dancing] ), DarthShona!!

FF

4. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks. :)

I still don't know how you do that with so much black!

Tortillons, my friend, tortillons! ;)

Seriously, my left hand is sore now from doing so much drawing and painting over the past few weeks!!! I gotta take a break for a couple days lol! [face_laugh]

The first thing I thought when I saw that pose was that he was standing over Padme's grave

OMG!!! I never thought of him possibly being there... it's like déjà vu at Shmi's gravesite in AOTC!! :eek: :eek:

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    oooooo! Nice Vader pieces. :)
    I adore the way you handled his cloak in the second one. It just looks stunning.

6. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thankees!

My current WIP is Anakin from the cover of Republic #71. It's about halfway done.

Some of the things I've got lined up to do in the next few weeks/months are Tion Medon, Boga, the shot of Obi-Wan watching the holorecording of Anakin kneeling before Sidious, and there are three Vader ones I'm still debating on.

I've also gotten a request to do Anakin choking Padmé, but I don't know yet lol.

7. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Done at last!

[image=http://www.geocities.com/evilshona84/anakin-rep71.jpg]

The most difficult parts about this one were the lips (which I'm still not 100% satisfied with, but it was the best I could get them to look! Sorta monkey-ish if you ask me lol) and the glove.

I also changed the direction his eyes are looking. In the original picture, he's looking up, but I made him looking further down.

Up next, Tion Medon!

8. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work Darth_Shona!!! This is such a wonderful piece. The details blow my mind, you've done really well here. Great choice of reference shot to use by the way, that angle is very impressive and conveys a lot through body language alone. :) What you've done with his costume is really wonderful, love those ragged edges and billowing tabbards (?). I'm a fan of dynamic drapery myself and this was so great to look at! And the lips are fine, maybe just slightly too full for Anakin? But otherwise they look great and so does the rest of the face so don't worry there. Great work and hope to see more very soon. :)

9. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks!

I really like drawing from comics because the source pics show such intricate details and flow, and I love how they're shaded.

I'll probably get started on Tion tomorrow.

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, DarthShona this is stunning! I just love the details, as C_R has already mentioned: his clothing, his hair, that massive glove. Just beautiful! And I think it's a great likeness, too--about the lips, I think only the lower one appears a bit "pouty," as--from our perspective below him like this--we would simply see less of the lower lip, while seeing all of the upper... Outside of that, it really looks like him! The movement here is wonderful, with his shredded robes snapping in the wind, and his hair whipping around his face. And what a great perspective: it's like we're the latest casualty of his 'saber, and we're getting one last look at him, lying on the ground at his feet...eeesh...I'm really getting "dark" here... ;) I love the way you've rendered the "shine" of his leather, too--excellent draping and folding all around, in fact! Great drawing, Shona!

FF

11. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Wow! A major art streak it is indeed! ;)
    Good job Shona! =D=

The pensive Vader looks really good. There is not much to the drawing but the cape, and you nailed that one!
    The same goes for the drawing of Anakin: I agree, the lips didn't work out too well, but the clothing, the layers, the folds, the shading...it's all spot on! :cool:

12. Senator_Nora

Senator_Nora Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2005
    Very good! The lips looked fine if you ask me. :)

13. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    I got started drawing Tion Medon earlier today. He shouldn't take very long. There's really nothing to the shading at all!

14. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Beautiful image! I don't know how I missed it...

Solid, solid work on the folds and wrinkles, and the shading is very well done, too. The angle is a difficult one to work from, but you did a terrific job handling.

I like how you drew his lightsaber. It's difficult to indicate their 'glow' in pencil, but you did a great job. You should be proud of this image!

15. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks guys.

I like how you drew his lightsaber. It's difficult to indicate their 'glow' in pencil, but you did a great job.

The lightsaber blade was definitely an issue! Especially since my source pic was in color, and I was sketching in b&w. I just drew a faint outline of the blade and shaded just a tad lighter where it goes in front of his robes.

I've been out most of the day, so I haven't had any time to work some more on Tion. I'll get to him before the night's over though lol.

16. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    I finished another, but it's not Tion! ;)
    (He should be done by the end of the week)

Instead, I bring you Anakin from the end of the Clone Wars Cartoon:

[image=http://www.geocities.com/evilshona84/cwc-anakin2.jpg]

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo...and now you switch gears once again and show us an animated style!

You really did a nice job with this one, Shone. Great job on capturing the likeness and drawing him almost exactly how he appears on the cartoon. Nice job! =D=

18. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks!

Just between you and I, I think Anakin is just as sexy in the cartoon as he was in the movies! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

19. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    Nice job on both of them, Shona, as always! =D= =D= I love the look of b&w Vader, especially how raggy you made his clothes. ;)

20. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    WOW!! I didn't realize it had been over three months since my last update!! :eek:

Anyways, I decided to scrap Tion and do the inside pic of the ROTS DVD booklet-thingy lol. This time I used chalk pastels, along with my usual pencils.

[image=http://www.geocities.com/evilshona84/RotSDVD.jpg]

21. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Excellent drawing - I love the way you've used the pastels to create the colors of fire around Vader. Nice!

oldj

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice, Shona! You always manage to get a photo-realistic feel to all of your drawings! =D=

You got a lot of nice details using the chalk pastels. I know I get very frustrated using them simply because they are too fat to get the detail I am going for. Did you use the fat sticks or the pastel pencils? Either way, very nice rendering with this medium. ;)

23. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    Thanks. :)

I used the rectangular stick pastels. For the buttons on Vader's chestbox and belt, I took the sharp corner of the pastels to color them in. If the corners were too dull, I was going to use colored pencils for those. (Except for the background, I used a Q-tip to pick up the color from the pastels and dabbed it on.)

Next, I'm going to take a stab at the shot of Anakin on Mustafar with his back to the camera, looking out over the lava and at the sunrise. I LOVE that shot!! :D I'm going to use pastels for the shading in that one too.

EDIT JAN. 4: It's coming along really well, I think! I hope to be done with it tomorrow and have it posted in here sometime tomorrow night!

24. DarthShona

Jul 29, 2003
    It's finally done. Unfortunately, this is the best scan I could get of it.

[image=http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c219/Shona84/mustafarsunrise.jpg]

This one was the greater challenge because I did the entire thing in pastels, including the shading.

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Some beautiful work with the chalks and pastels, DarthShona! I've never been able to work with those (like our esteemed Moderator, I've always been frustrated with the lack of sharp points and the "messiness" of them...), and truly admire those who can achieve such good results! The Vader-on-the-table piece is gorgeous: I agree with the previous comment on the smoky, almost fiery feel to it--very appropriate. And the shading on the Anakin-on-Mustafaar piece is wonderful--trying to get those soft highlights had to be a real chore. I'm a little fuzzy on the sunrise, though--is the sun becoming visible through the break in the clouds above the horizon there...? What is the dark mass, there with the sun? It looks a bit like an eclipse of the rising sun--or maybe that's me... In any case, I bow to your skills with the difficult media you've chosen--these are beautiful in their depth and saturation, which had to be hard to achieve! Lovely!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.