main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Next Meeting?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Drk Father1, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drk Father1

Drk Father1 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I think Bob's place sounds great too! We could even watch movies there! One question though: where exactly is Bob's place? :)

2. HARPER

HARPER Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Update 06/17/02...

As of today, 13 individuals have voted in the "meeting polls.The reighning votes in the poll stand as the following:

Meeting Day: Saturday

Meeting time: Later than 8:00 PM

Meeting Frequency: (tie) weekly and monthly

Which brings us to the following:

The Louisville Free Public Library is out due to not being open after 5PM on Saturday.

Hawley-Cooke closes at 9PM nightly, I believe, so we would only have 1 hour at best for the meeting there. I've visited all of them recently and there is not an area conducive to a meeting of our group, especially if we grow in size. Sorry to shoot that one down, who ever initiated.

A coffee house may be good, but most have other "events" occuring on Saturday nights. Ie. musical guests, poetry.

U of L library has rooms, but I'm 90% sure you need to be a student to lease one regularly.

Bob's place would work only for a "get-together". This sounds as though a planning meeting could take place, but regular meetings may be out. Can any one (Bob) varify this?

The Louisville/Jefferson County government has community centers. These could be looked into as a meeting place.

Here is another idea. There is a comic/collectables store in St. Matthews called The Zone. In the back of their store is a cafe. I'm not sure on the seating, but I can investigate.

I will also look into the Planetarium at the University of Louisville and Book and Music Exchange on BTR.

I will post my findings here tommorrow.

Take care!

3. Unicron

Unicron Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2002
    I didn't know about Hawley-Cooke, but I know Barnes & Noble, which does have a large area of tables and stuff at their cafe', stays open until 11:00 PM Mondays through Saturday. I was there yesterday and checked.

The Zone closed the cafe' they used to run there. It's been turned into a network gaming room, which might be fun for us to get together and play sometime. But I don't recall any tables or chairs back there that weren't at the computer terminals. I haven't been there in a month or so, though.

-John

4. Zam-the-Assasin

Zam-the-Assasin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    The only problems with the bookstores is that I have a friend who works at Books a MIllion, and another who works at Barnes and Noble, they have all told me at different times that the managers at the stores dont mind people meeting at the cafe's but if there are excessive amounts , then they will ask you to leave.....I have been told this several times. BRian had to meet with the Rep for the downtown skatepark about the website at books a million , there were just 3 of them ,and the manager asked them to leave....... ........just a thought.

5. bossknopp

bossknopp Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    Where is Bobs place located?Hopefully in a central location.I think we need to decide something sooon and stick with it.If some of us cant make it then post what came up important on the web site.We need to have plenty of time to distribute a new flier to stimultate interest.Maybe mid July give us a few weeks to do some good old campaigning.lol.

6. oggiebendoggie2001

oggiebendoggie2001 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    First of all, let me say, "Hi, all!" It's great to see a local group forming.

I'll see if I can come up with some ideas for a meeting place. Many of the ones that come to mind immediately have already been mentioned. I'm available to meet just about any evening except Wednesday, though I'd rank weekends as my top choice. It's more festive that way. :D

Again, hello to everyone! Looking forward to meeting you all! May the Force be with you!

7. HARPER

HARPER Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Greetings All!

Update 06/19/02...

As of today, 13 individuals have voted in the "meeting polls.The reighning votes in the poll still stand as the following:

Meeting Day: Saturday

Meeting time: Later than 8:00 PM

Meeting Frequency: (tie) monthly and bi-monthly (I listed the wrong answers the other day. oops!)

Current status of possible meeting places:

1.) Louisville Free Public Library (OUT):
    due to not being open after 5PM on Saturday.

2.) Hawley-Cooke Booksellers (OUT):
    Hours are appropriate:
    M-Sat:9am-9pm, Sun:10am-6pm,
    but there isn't enough space.

3.) Coffee Houses (MAYBE): not throughly explored, but some may have conflicting engagements on Saturday nights.

4.) U of L Library (OUT): only useable be University staff and students.

5.) Bob's Place (MAYBE): more clarification is needed from Bob about specifics of what work's for him.

6.) Louisville/Jefferson County Government Community Centers(OUT?as of now?): These facilities are hosting summer camps for kids until school starts for them and there is a cost of $50.00/hour for room use

7.) The Zone (OUT): possible space has been turned into a gaming room.

8.) U of L Planetarium (OUT): hours of operation conflict with day and time we wish to hold meetings.

9.) Book and Music Exchange BTR (???): These guuys didn't answer the phone!

10.) Book and Music Exchange Preston (OUT):eek:nly on good table and very cluttered/small.

11.) Books-a-Million (OUT): the potential of our sizeable mass will possibly get us kicked out.

12.) Barnes and Noble(OUT): the potential of our sizeable mass will possibly get us kicked out.

8. HARPER

HARPER Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Hey Again,

I agree with bossknopp. We should set a meeting place soon and go with it. We could set a July meeting and use the time until then to get flyers up around town. It is very obvious we are going to grow in size as a group and wherever we meet will need to accomidate us all.

Bunny's idea of placing fliers within Sci-Fi books, especially Star Wars, is an excellent idea. Hit where we know SW fans will be. We could have a flyerfest one weekend well before our July meeting and hit all the places we can think of.

We should keep use of the public areas, such as the parks, until weather permits otherwise. We could have more cookouts and such. These are great ways to gather in mass and bond socially with one another. Waterfront park is a good place; very little tables, but we could bring chairs and blankets to use.

It sounds as though there is definely some points that need addressed soon for us to be "offically" recognised by the FF group. The sooner we get something to them, I assume, the better off we'll be.

Bob's place sounds like a good place to me, if it's workable. If we post some fkyers, it is possible our group can grow to be easily 50 + people. If anyone knows how to get ahold of Bob, shoot him a line. There isn't a email addy linked to his FF profile.

That's what I'm thinking.....

9. Unicron

Apr 5, 2002
    LOL Man I never would have thought this would be as difficult as it has turned out to be. At this point I'm about to offer to host the meetings at my place. At John's Place we're open as late as we need to be to accommodate SW fans. :)

-John

10. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    Well, I'm all for doing the park again. I also don't mind doing John's place. :D

what about Bob? (sorry, I always wanted to say that).

11. Bunny

Bunny Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    The Waterfront sounds nice, especially this time of year. It does seem that we're going to probably have to stick with the parks for now - we can just go to a different one each time.
    I'm going to head up to the local branch of the library with about 50 flyers to stick in the SW/sci-fi books, plus there is a bulletin board up there that I'm gonna plaster with flyers.

12. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    way to go Bunny!

has anyone posted any in the Book and Music exchange?

13. bossknopp

May 5, 2002
    I like the park idea but later in the day.Id hate to suffer meltdown.When this grows up to be a big club will we only have more problems about getting together.Also to be honest I hate the subgroup thing.These do toys,their into comics,he likes books etc.We are one group our interest is Star Wars this is Louisville not New York so I dont see any sense of forming side groups but thats just me.But we should always meet together.

14. Darthcrawford02

Darthcrawford02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    I am up for the park idea especially this time of year. The Riverfront park is great I wouldn't mind having it there. This time I will stay longer. I also will offer up my place as a meeting possibility. I am single no roommates, so any evening or weekend is fine with me. May be we can get something going the 2nd or third weekend in July.

Take Care May the Force Be with You!!!

-Patrick

15. bossknopp

May 5, 2002
    3rd weekend please

16. HARPER

HARPER Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Getting a meeting together of many people is never an easy task.

Cool, though....I'm glad to see the Waterfront Park is enticing people. Let's get decisive.

Saturday, Waterfront Park, on the Great Lawn or there abouts, in July, 7:00 pm, sun will be going down and we can do a dinner picnic thing. I think there are a few grills nearby we could use if we want.

How does that strike people?

17. Bunny

May 24, 2002
    Saturday, Waterfront Park, on the Great Lawn or there abouts, in July, 7:00 pm, sun will be going down and we can do a dinner picnic thing. I think there are a few grills nearby we could use if we want.
    Ok, sounds good. Any Saturday is good for me. What about 13 July? That's the second Saturday.

18. CreatureCreator

CreatureCreator Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 2001
    Hello all.

My 2 cents worth:

I guess I'm a member although nobody emailed me back. In answer to one of the points made, the Cincy digital quit playing the movie when Scooby Doo started. They had no plans to put it back, either. Bummed me out.

I'm all for a meeting, but let's do something other than the Library. Feels too much like a college study group...
    The Waterfront sounds much better...

Oh yeah, if we are going to make shirts, etc. They need to be ready for Conglomeration if you want to attract interest. In this somewhat isolated neck of the world, that's the closest thing to a con you're gonna get.

19. CreatureCreator

CreatureCreator Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 2001
    It's probably a bit late for it now, but has anybody thought about overrunning a theater on opening night of a movie like Minority Report? Can't imagine Star Wars fans not being movie buffs in general...

20. Jedi9650

Jedi9650 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    If I can put my 1 cent in? Can we sechudle the next meeting for the 20th of July? On the 13th, I'll still be moving into my new apartment over here in Jeffersonville. Thanks

21. Bunny

May 24, 2002
    So 20 July at 7pm at Waterfront park? Is that official? :)

22. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    That sounds fine to me. Should give us all time to make arrangements.

23. Unicron

Apr 5, 2002
    I posted the time/date/place on the website this morning. Someone make sure to send notice to the FF folks so that it counts as the second "official" advertised meeting.

-John

24. Drk Father1

Mar 18, 1999
    Got it! Message has been sent! (Usually takes a day or two for it to show up)

25. HARPER

HARPER Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Bummer! :(

I guess I will only be able to attend through the living Force. I am also an avid caver and am helping with organizing cave trips for a festival that weekend. I've had an amazing run on missing things lately. Oh well...such is life!

I will however get as many flyers out as possible prior to that date. When U of L fall classes start backup, I'm sure I'll turn MANY heads with our flyers.

(Cup held high) Here's to an excellent meeting...prost!

Harper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.