main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ninja Gaiden

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by WindexedStormtrooper, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002

dang, I think I'm going to have to buy and xbox just for this game! I loved the arcade game, it was amazing, and the first nintendo games was truly revolutional! The super hard difficulty, the CINEMA cutscenes, the amazing weapons and the great storyline! Tecmo 1989! Such a great game and I'm glad Ryu is coming back. Also, for you old school gamers, the secret to beating the NES version was the keep the "spin slash" until you meet Jacquio (spelling?) and then fight the alien statue things. The hardest part about this game was that if you lost to Jacquio you had to start all the over on the top of that yellow castle level after you beat that big dude who tells you about your father. Ahhh, great memories. The ending alone of this game was sooo far ahead of its time. They did re-release the entire trilogy back for the super nintendo i believe, but it did have different music, which i didn't like. So to sum up, Ninja Gaiden rocks hard and it looks like i'll be buying an xbox!
    .valkor.

2. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    FedEx says I should have this by 4:30 tomorrow afternoon. My friend got it yesterday and from what I saw it is seriously kickass. :)

3. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I think it's awesome! Athough definitely challenging. I'm gonna start out on normal mode since I couldn't get through the training level without dying. :(

4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    The original games were hard as balls too so... well we should have been expecting that. :p

As long as the challenge is actually a challenge and nothing cheap, I'm okay with it. I don't mind hard games as long as they are legitimately hard and can be beaten with skill rather than just luck. Though, luck scenarios are sometimes exciting too. :)

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Having long levels can contribute the challenge- that was the case with the original Ninja Gaiden (at least it's later levels), and is probably what made Bounty Hunter so challenging too.

Anyways, I tried the game for a few minutes at EBX today and it certainly looks to be a solid game- there are some nice touches to the game overall it seems.

A shame it's not getting ported to another system, as I'm not going to buy an X-Box for just this one game, despite my interest in the title.

Then again, it could just be a matter of franchise nostalgia...even so, I really do want to see where they take this series's storyline.

6. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Just picked it up. Pretty cool game. Managed to string together a nice 30 hit combo on a group of ninja in the temple. Got up to the Ninja master with the nunchucks, came so very close to beating him. Bugger fights like a Jedi, everytime I hurled my shurikens at him he defelcted them back at me. The most I can get on him is a 5 hit combo with my sword and a series of kicks. I'll have to get a rematch on him later tonight and then I'll show him were he can shove those nunchucks. :D Camera is a bit of a pain, hard to see when I'm turning corners, so guys are getting cheap shots on me.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

7. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    I'm on like the 5th boss, I'm in the 3rd Chapter, the game is purely amazing. Unbelievable. The difficulty is perfect. Makes you strive to become better, while kicking your butt so it's not a breeze.

8. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Camera is a bit of a pain,

Bit is really an understatement, it's just a pain in the arse. But besides that I enjoyed it somewhat, controls were something I had to get use to. Of course I was playing the game with the huge controller.

Part of me felt though that all those cool moves were done automatically, you had no real control over it.

Graphics were ok, especially the textures. I thought it look odd.

Oh well overall nice game

9. jedi_john_34

jedi_john_34 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2003
    :_| i hope i get an Xbox for my birthday!

10. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I've only played the demo, but I have to second the gripes about the camera. Personally I think it's horrible.

The combat is fantastic though, but on the whole the demo didn't live up to the high expectations I had. I still feel it's a good game, but I'm not going to pick it up right away.

11. XenoSphere

XenoSphere Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    I think it's a great game, one of the best ever. The camera isn't a problem for me. The Master Ninja Tournament will be awesome, as well as the new missions and such.

The graphics are some of the best ever! How can you not appreciate this gaming masterpiece, this work of art!

I'm on Chapter 5. Collected 3 scarabs so far!

I think it's great all 3 original NG games are hidden in this game!

12. WindexedStormtrooper

Jun 11, 2001
    I agree. This is one of the best games I've ever played, hands down. Yeah, the camera at times can be a pain in the ass, but I actually find it surprisingly good considering the sophistication of the gameplay. IMHO, the camera could have been MUCH worse.

Right now, I'm trying the idea of finding an easy bunch of respawning enemies, and continually exlpoiting them for karma points. Does anybody know if this will help or hinder in the long run?

13. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    As if the bad guy, Doku, didn't resemble Darth Vader enough...

"Your true place is at the Emperor's side."

I swear to God. [face_laugh]

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Check out Penny Arcade's comic and commentary on the extreme difficulty of this game. It's pretty damn funny. [face_laugh]

15. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Well, I've been looking at this game recently and I think I'm going to have to invest into an X-Box.

16. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Hm. I wanted to have this game beaten tonight sometime before I pick up The Twin Snakes tomorrow, but the second-to-final battle is saying absolutely not. :(

17. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2001
    How do you beat the boss ninja with the nunchucks? Is there some sort of strategy you are supposed to use?

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Perhaps I'll try to rent an X-Box sometime soon...

19. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I actually beat the game last night. I won't even try to convey in words how I feel about the overall quality of the product, ranging from the gameplay, visuals, challenge, music, etc. But, I will do a dance.

*dances*

20. WindexedStormtrooper

Jun 11, 2001
    Man, I'm stuck. I'm at the fossil dinosaur thing, but I have absolutely no refills on anything. Should I fight it (which is driving me nuts) or start over at the beginning of the game?

21. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    I've just seen an image from the game with enemies riding horses. Can anyone tell me if it's possible for the player to use horses too?

22. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    I'm at the point with the horses now. It's very early in the game. Hehe, haven't had much time to play. No you can't use the horses. Once you knock the riders off, the horses take off and you have to finish off the riders. Pretty cool sequence though, I wasn't paying attention and one of the horsemen stuck me with his spear and then proceeded to drag me about on the ground. I thought that was kind of cool. :D

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

23. WindexedStormtrooper

Jun 11, 2001
    I finally beat the giant skeleton, after coming close to putting my fist through my tv screen.

From now on, I'm going to stock up on goodies at Murasama's store whenever I see one, rating be damned.

Speaking of which, what does the rating at the end of each level signify?

24. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    Just skill level. You know, like an arcade scoreboard.

The game's camera is fine. You can jsut hit R trigger and it goes behind you.

25. XenoSphere

XenoSphere Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    I can't wait to unlock the 3 original NG games. It's going to be hard though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.