main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

No More Star Wars Games On GameCube. Lucasarts Pulls Support.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Halo is also available for PC. As is nearly any decent X-Box "exclusive" game.

2. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    HALO was released when the XBOX launched, and that is XBOX exclusive.

Halo was also in development on the Mac/PC for 3 years before it became an X-Box Project, if I have to remind you.

Bringing that up is just showing that good X-Box titles do need a hell of a lot of love and devotion.

3. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Bah! Forget about Halo. Why is it that JGRF and PDO get no love? :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Bah, Jet Set Radio was better :p But I must say, the new remix of Sneakman was an absolute hoot.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> HUH? HALO was released when the XBOX launched, and that is XBOX exclusive. Are you saying that's not great? if so, you are the only person I've ever seen that doesn't think so.<<

No, I'm not saying Halo isn't a good game- I'm saying it can't be considered an exclusive game, since it is available for PC (and now, I believe, Mac as well).

Ninja Gaiden is the first game that's made me even consider buying an X-Box, as it's the first game for that system that isn't currently and not planned to be made available on any other platform, that's actually worth getting. Pretty much everything else exclusive to XB is rental-quality, IMO.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    The primary reason for this state of affairs, though, is the Xbox's Windows-driven system architecture, which makes it easier for cross-platform ports between it and the PC/Mac. Of late, the gaming world has witnessed more and more traditionally PC-oriented companies like Bethesda Softworks signing on to not only carry over their own existing computer releases, but also to develop for console. Most titles, though, from these companies end up on Xbox exclusively due to the design differentials, which I suppose is good news if you're like me and a longtime PC partisan.

So it's no real shock that -- up until now -- there've been substantially fewer "console exclusive" titles for Xbox that weren't already able to make the leap in either direction between PC and console (which require very little conversion work), not to mention far more direct programming simultaneity between PC and Xbox than has been seen for PS2 and GCN.

(As for "rental quality [only]"...the Crimson Skies sequel, anyone?)

Might want to keep lookout for a couple Teutonic buddies of mine, T2Q...

[image=http://www.logjammin.org/images/marmut.jpg]

7. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I agree with T2Q. The X-Box has never been strong in the "exclusive" department. It's strength's lie in it's graphics power which looks better then either a PS2 or a GC (although not by much IMHO). So on games that come out for multiple systems, the XB version may look better. But if you want games you can't play anywhere else I think it's obvious that X-Box is severly lacking.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Though, if by "multiple systems," you specifically mean *PC-to-console ports*, Xbox is unquestionably the stronger system. Traditionally speaking, the crossover between console to PC and vice versa has never been all that particularly huge, with the overall PC marketplace doing approximately -- what? -- perhaps one-fifth to one-quarter of the console market's overall business during the past decade, the figures read, or something close.

That demographic is vanishingly small when one views the picture from this perspective, which makes the rather large number of Xbox-exclusive PC ports (and PC-exclusive ports from Xbox, such as Fable) now available quite the formidable *strength* for the system, with many of these same companies unable -- or unwilling -- to do a wide, cross-platform release for Sony or Nintendo.

9. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Lucasarts pulled their games off of the Gamecube for business reasons. The Gamecube has been falling behind more and more and they just went with the systems that are doing better. It's part of the business world and we might as well get used to it.

10. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Do I need to point that they selled 15 million GameCubes compared to 13.7 million X-box's and...uhm...70 million PS2's :p

Of course these numbers are from end of march, 24 to be exact.

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Traditionally speaking, the crossover between console to PC and vice versa has never been all that particularly huge, with the overall PC marketplace doing approximately -- what? -- perhaps one-fifth to one-quarter of the console market's overall business during the past decade, the figures read, or something close.

If the PC is at 1/4 to 1/5 of the console market's business, that probably puts them on equal ground with any console (GBA is probably 20% of the console market).

PC games are cheaper to develop and manufacture, and there are no losses in hardware, so I see it as likely to be more profitable than the console market on a pure ROI basis.

12. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    "Well, i picked a good time to lose faith in Star Wars"

I'm with Silvertouch on this one.

And on Halo--I tried it. Good game, but highly overrated.

13. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I was just checking out the newly opened starwarsshop.com and I came across something interesting. In the video games section there are three categories. X-Box, PC, and Gamecube. No PS2. This seems to be different than the rumors that have been flying around. However, I think this may be because their only selling the games from the last year on the site. RSIII, KOTOR, Galaxies, JA etc. PS2 just hasn't had a Star Wars game in a while.

14. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    Waaay back at the beginning of this thread, posted by T2Q:

But, at the very least, we'll still have Factor 5 developing for the cube.

Not Anymore

When LucasArts pulled support, I was mad. Now I'm ******* pissed. I loved gamecube. Up until now I thought all would be fine, but this is the beginning of the end I'm afraid.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Also Silicon Knights have declared neutral and now Factor 5, talk about shocking news before a once awaited E3.

16. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    That article isn't necessarily bad news for Nintendo fans. From what I understand, they aren't making games for ANY current console, because they're already starting work on games for the next generation of consoles. I find this totally understandable. If they can get a halfway decent launch title (or titles) ready, they will make a fortune. A year and a half from now, we'll be getting ready for at least one new console, and it takes that long to make a good game.

17. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Well looks like the first part of my E3 perdition will be right. Battle Squadron will turn out to be the Xbox compilation of the Rogue Squadron games. But I guess I'm wrong about Animal Wars being a Cube exclusive game. Not that I care, Rogue Leader was nothing more then a tech demo.

As for Silicon Knights, this is hardly anything to concern Cube fans. The much over hyped Too Human is still pretty much Vapor ware. Could never figure out why Nintendo fans clung to this title. Asides from a few CG screens nothing has been shown of the current build..... if there ever was such a thing. :p The only game of note that they put out was ED. Their MGS remake is of no real consequence since most of us already beat this game............. five years ago.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    However, ED was quite excellent...I demand they bring me a sequel.

19. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Hmm, I'm not surprised that Lucasarts want to focus on future consoles. It's just kind of sad to know that the GC is already fading away. :( It's been fun....

20. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm afraid that's the state of the industry at the moment. Compared to the early 90's, these days a consoles shelf life isn't that long at all, though of course it all depends on the software/third party support (which is why the PS2 has been going strong for so long).

Going back to an earlier post, there are plenty of quality first party titles on the XBox that warrant a purchase, besides KOTOR or Ninja Gaiden. Project Gotham Racing, Panzer Dragoon Orta, MechAssault and Dead or Alive are perfect examples. And Halo? It is a good game, but to me it isn't in the same league as Half-Life or Dues Ex.

As for Factor 5, it's a more cost effective decision to work on multiple platforms these days, especially those that have a larger user base. Sega proved that right. That's not to say they'll never work with Nintendo again, though.

21. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    LA hasn't a made a good game since JK 2. Their recent KotOR wasn't made by them. I own a GC cube and I haven't bought a title for it since 1080. There hasn't been a good game released for any platform since january. GC is doing fine every stop predicting it's downfall before it happens.

Halo was also in development on the Mac/PC for 3 years before it became an X-Box Project, if I have to remind you.

Only because Microsoft bought Bungie.

22. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    It's part of the business world and we might as well get used to it.

Oh, wow! Fanstastic! What part of the buisness world do you come from?

LA hasn't a made a good game since JK 2.

*cough cough* Stop stealing all the credit from Raven.
    LA has'nt made a good game since JK 1.

Only because Microsoft bought Bungie.

I would have mentioned that, but it would have annoyed anyone who had a go at me for mentioning Microsofts graphic use of Bill Gates's money to solve all its problems :p

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Julian Eggebrecht : "We are extremely excited about both DS and GCNext, so any talk of us abandoning Nintendo platforms altogether is just not true. It is simply because we have moved into next-generation development."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.